Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Gaylord flatbottom that I purchased without a title from Gene Deaver in 2000. The year of manufacture is unknown although I seem to have penciled in 66 at some time on some paperwork that I have on it.

I'm finally getting around to doing something with the boat. My first attempt to register it through AAA requires that I get the hull ID number. It does not seem to have one. Does anyone know where it might be found or since it is pre 72 may not have been assigned one?

Can anyone advise me on obtaining a title in California if a hull number is not available?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My first flatty was a 69 Stevens, the hull ID was burned into the top inside of the transom then glassed over, not exactly sure when hull ID's became mandatory

·
Just Me
4,086 Posts
My Gaylord has a small brass plate with a number that was attached to the stringer. It is not more than 2 inches long and no more than an 3/4 of an inch high. The number isn't long enough to be a modern HIN. More than likely they will have to assign it a HIN when you go to register it even if you can find the serial number on the plate. The plate came off fairly easily when I was doing work on the stringer so there is a good chance that it may not be on your boat anymore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first flatty was a 69 Stevens, the hull ID was burned into the top inside of the transom then glassed over, not exactly sure when hull ID's became mandatory
Thanks. From what I've read hull ID's became mandatory in '72.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Gaylord has a small brass plate with a number that was attached to the stringer. It is not more than 2 inches long and no more than an 3/4 of an inch high. The number isn't long enough to be a modern HIN. More than likely they will have to assign it a HIN when you go to register it even if you can find the serial number on the plate. The plate came off fairly easily when I was doing work on the stringer so there is a good chance that it may not be on your boat anymore.
Thanks. I have only looked on the outside of the transom. I'll check the stringers for that plate. What part of the stringer is the plate located at on your boat?

·
Just Me
4,086 Posts
Thanks. I have only looked on the outside of the transom. I'll check the stringers for that plate. What part of the stringer is the plate located at on your boat?
It was in front of the seats. I'll look and see if I can find the picture of where it was when I pulled it off. I didn't want to loose it while I was working on the boat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was in front of the seats. I'll look and see if I can find the picture of where it was when I pulled it off. I didn't want to loose it while I was working on the boat.
Thanks. Really appreciate it.

Something else that you may be able to help me with comes to mind. At the time that I bought the boat the previous owner was actually in the process of parting it out. The fuel tanks had been removed and sold before I bought it so I need to replace them. I'm thinking that, since the tanks were located behind the seats, that they may have a unique shape to fit that space. Are the tanks in your Gaylord located in that area and, if they are, would you be able to send some pictures of them?

Thanks again,

Phil

·
Just Me
4,086 Posts
Mine was used as a race boat. The tank fills were located on a divider that separated the front and back seats. The boat originally had seats that were front to back benches with a divider between them. That tanks were under the gunnels and the tanks I have for mine were round tanks that would have filled the space between the seat and the side of the boat. There would have been fill hoses down to the tanks from the divider.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was used as a race boat. The tank fills were located on a divider that separated the front and back seats. The boat originally had seats that were front to back benches with a divider between them. That tanks were under the gunnels and the tanks I have for mine were round tanks that would have filled the space between the seat and the side of the boat. There would have been fill hoses down to the tanks from the divider.
Mine has the same setup with the tank fills located in the divider. I've seen pictures of other Gaylords with the fills in that location, so I thought they were all made that way. My seating arrangement sounds the same as yours. I was thinking that the tanks were also located in the divider because there is a shutoff valve that is located in that area mounted to the lower skirt of the divider behind the right rear seat. Also the fill hoses were still remaining and I think were angled for a tank behind the seat. (All of that was removed for painting but I still have them and will try to see how they were connected later). I'll have to look closer and see if I can see any mounting points that still might be on the frame work. After hearing how yours is set up with the tanks on the side beside the seats, I'm now thinking that mine may have used the same setup. Also, if the tanks were located under the divider it would take an odd shaped tank to fit in that location. Thanks for the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts