Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Dyanfoil's were probably the most high tech water toy ever built. Our tax dollars developed them for the military. ( I did not look at the web site yet) They were released for civilian use in the late 70's and are awsome. You can ride them 45 mph to Catalina in the worst conditions. The way the upper foil on the front reads the water surface and controls the lower foil to keep them stable. They can haul ass, stop and turn on a dime. I used to ride for Kawasaki in the development of the jet ski, and was fortunate enough to get a chance to ride the dynafoil's for about two years. The prop looks scary, but you would never get close to it. The lower unit is engaged with a dead man foot pedal in the right foot well. You have to have weight on it for the prop to spin. If you fell off the dynafoil the prop stops immediately, kind of like the blade on a miter saw.

They would never tell us what the intended use was, but we assumed it was for Navy seals or something like that. I think the technology may be in use on some of the navy large hydrofoil boats.

I found two abandoned ones about 5 years ago in the storage yard at Aha Quin, but couldn't locate the owner. If you could buy a new one I would get one.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Dyanfoil's were probably the most high tech water toy ever built.
Don't get all technical and come in here with first hand knowledge of something. :D You'll take all the bashing away from the folks that just don't get it. ;)

·
Registered
643 Posts
I sort of forgot about them until I saw the post. Now I think it would be fun to find one and restore it. Just an incredible toy for big nasty water, and the ride is smooth.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
I watched all the videos on the webpage. Unfortunately the one thing that would've impressed me (rough water abilities) was not included in the video.'

They're neat as a nostalgic/novelty thing, but other than that it wouldn't interest me personally. Then again...........I'm not a fan of jetskis either.

I remember back in 1969 seeing Bombardier (seadoo) testing the first jetski on a little lake in the Upper Penninsula of Michingan. They were powered by a 10 hp air cooled rotax single cylinder snowmobile engine. I was just a kid at the time (50 now) but I remember at the time they were so underpowered that they had to get their body stretched way out over the front cowling and bounce on the thing to get it to plane out. Once they got em going they moved along alright.

I know not related, just something that this deal sparked a memory of.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Am i the only one who's gotten tossed off a waverunner and then hit his head on the bottom of the hull??? If what riverbottom says is true about the foot peddle thats at least saftey for the driver... but come on, we've all seen the idiot seadoo/jetski/waverunner guys out there... sombody's bound to get fucked up with that prop hanging like that! :D

·
Swollen Member
216 Posts
Theres probably a damn good reason why that POS is sitting in a warehouse rotting, maybe because its a waste of time and money, or just a piece of chit, i bet it doesn't even have anywhere to put your beer can. Damn rookies

·
Registered
643 Posts
If anyone knows where the red and yellow Dynafoil's on a trailer at Aha Quin went to please let me know. I see a project in the future.

And they did not have drink holders, but you could drink a beverage and ride with the other hand, and not spill a drop on the way from Newport to Catalina. Its just a big air chair with a motor.

·
Swollen Member
216 Posts
no no no, i have a coozie with a string through it so i can hang it around my neck when i have nowhere to put it down, drinking and driving is one thing, now driving with one hand, thats just dangerous

1 - 20 of 20 Posts