Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled off the intercooler and found this inside my intake. Can someone tell me WTF this is? Is it some kind of repair?
Thanks in advance.
Nate

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
I pulled off the intercooler and found this inside my intake. Can someone tell me WTF this is? Is it some kind of repair?
Thanks in advance.
Nate
It's difficult to see in your photos, but I guess you mean the dark epoxy in the runners? I don't recognize that intake but it looks like someone spent a great deal of time, and the epoxy was put in the runners to get it to flow where it was wanted or needed, perhaps a drag race deal originally?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's difficult to see in your photos, but I guess you mean the dark epoxy in the runners? I don't recognize that intake but it looks like someone spent a great deal of time, and the epoxy was put in the runners to get it to flow where it was wanted or needed, perhaps a drag race deal originally?
Is this something I need to take out, now that its a marine motor now? Or is it one of thoughs "if aint broke, dont fix it" things.
Thanks

·
Registered
388 Posts
Probably an epoxy to fix the port job. Could of needed to be raised or reshaped so bad it was needed. I don't see what its hurting.........

·
Registered
636 Posts
for what its worth.Why mess with it. It looks like some work was put in there for a reason. When the runners get extended like that it makes the intake think its"longer". I wouldnt mess with it, especally if you disturb the epoxy.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Wow...someone's got a TON of work in that plenum. Whatever it is, it was done intentionally and I wouldn't mess with it. Do you have a spacer to go with that intake?
Edited to add: OK...I see this is a turbo deal. Does the bottom of the intercooler match the plenum shape?

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Wow...someone's got a TON of work in that plenum. Whatever it is, it was done intentionally and I wouldn't mess with it. Do you have a spacer to go with that intake?
Edited to add: OK...I see this is a turbo deal. Does the bottom of the intercooler match the plenum shape?
I'll second that. LEAVE IT

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
I am just basing this on the pictures and first thought, prolly way off! :)sphss

Looks like a bunch of distribution work has been done. If the "from the top" pictures are taken from the rear, the black stuff would be "dam's" (or is anyway regardless of position) trying to cure the dreaded #7 rich/#5 lean deal on a stock GM firing order by keeping the "floor fuel" out of there. You can see a little added in other area's I think to do the same but in smaller adjust's.
As I said, just a quick observation! :)hand

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Looks like a bunch of distribution work has been done. If the "from the top" pictures are taken from the rear, the black stuff would be "dam's" (or is anyway regardless of position) trying to cure the dreaded #7 rich/#5 lean deal on a stock GM firing order by keeping the "floor fuel" out of there. You can see a little added in other area's I think to do the same but in smaller adjust's.
:)hand
Ditto

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I am just basing this on the pictures and first thought, prolly way off! :)sphss

As I said, just a quick observation! :)hand
Exactly. This work wasn't done without a flow bench. It also looks like the carb mounting flange (4150 my guess) has been layed way back over the runners to add more volume for the FI. I'd sure like to see a pic from a little further away, and see the intercooler as well. That's some pretty decent work.

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
After looking at it again, my first thought was wrong (imagine that). If the picture is from the rear the dam would lean out #7 which is a lean cylinder to start with. In a manifold like that #5 usualy gets the big dam.
But....it is mentioned that he pulled the intercooler off so is this injected? The manifold doesn't appear to be as trick as I first thought, but maybe just a typical clover-leaf type plenum entry with some cut off of the carb flange?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts