Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked this up for a little toy yesterday

696.jpg

It's a 98 Sea Ray Searayder with a Mercruiser SportJet 175 xr2 175 horse V6 and a jet pump.

It has thrown a rod and I'm trying to track down a replacment motor. Remaned motors on these are gonna run right at $6k which is more than we need to drop into this thing.

Seller we got the boat from was supposed to have a spare motor lined up for $500 but now we can't find the ad of course.

So what would be the best place to try and track down a used motor for this thing?

Thanks,
--Marcus

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Look on Ebay I see all sorts of things for those types of boats on there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the $500 spare motor was supposed to be somewhere on ebay but we can't track it down now. Guy we bought this from said he found the complete boat that smashed into a stump so the hull was trashed but motor/pump/seats etc were all good, and it was in Ada, OK just a couple hours from us.

Seemed like exactly what we were lookin for but now can't find the ad and back to trying to track down a motor for this thing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just a thought, but it seems like all the "Mercruiser" engines are just marine specific versions of Chevy's, Fords,etc. Identify what engine it really is (like 4.3l chevy) and then you will be able to find all sorts of options for cheap. Just swap all the mounts etc from the trashed motor. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually I believe thats a powerhead off of an outboard.
Yep, it's basically a outboard powerhead, mounted inboard with a jet pump lower unit. The outboard uses a different crankshaft though so these motors for these boats are kinda hard to come by.

·
Registered
162 Posts
:mad: well that sucks....sorry no help from me there lol. I haven't seen that set up yet, interesting..... might be a fun little boat when it's back together. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Merc plays this stuff pretty "close to the vest" IMO ,very little available in the after market for them with the exception of the Place Diverter adjustable ride plate system which is very cool ! , I once took on of these on trade , what a Hoot ! drove it like a rented mule WOT from one end of Nacimeto to the other it was like driving a size large PWC Good Luck with it Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it's looking to be pretty difficult to come by finding something we can use. Even trying to just track down a 175 horse powerhead from an outboard is pretty tough. If I could just find a bare block, swap my crank and new internals, and use my heads, intake, carbs, etc. we would go that route but the only bare block I've found was $2k. The complete reman motor from the shop out here with a warranty wasn't much more than that...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts