Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.. Im new to the outboard world and am looking at a 2004 Mirage River Racer. Can someone tell me what I might be getting into with this thing ? I have a 120+ MPH HTM and am curious about the ups and downs of one of these river racers. Opinions, comments and advice for things to look out for are appreciated

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Love Mirage !

I will tell you this. I loved mine for two years. I wish I still had it but I bought a house 10 years ago and was a sound decision. When you get up to 105 Me personally, I dont realize its that fast and I am pushing the pedal down even harder begging for more. A lot of the Flat bottoms and other big engine boats don't seem to love you for your quiet ultra handling machine gives them a spanking. Yes there are boats that will beat you but not many and they dont turn on a dime. I forgot my year and the specs but I miss it. If you buy one you cant go jumping wakes like I crazily did in my old jet boat. This boat will stand straight up in a blink. Lots of power ,light weight boat. Also dont go out when the big boats are creating tons of wake. This boat will ride right over chop no problem but big waves and if you get two from different angles you will submarine like I did on my last run ever. Went under and right back up running no problem. I wasnt scared but I was turning towards the ramp and Moabi so it was actually the last ride of the season and I just happened to sell it. Would I love to go at it again with the Mirage and push it......You Bet!

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
www.screamandfly.com will be a great source of info for you for all things outboard river rocket related. ;)

The outboard section here has some great people who know their outboards as well, but sometimes the responses aren't as fast as they would be at S&F.

·
Sushi Inspector
2,311 Posts
Just don't get too happy with the trim button and you'll be just fine!!
Great boat!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I will tell you this. I loved mine for two years. I wish I still had it but I bought a house 10 years ago and was a sound decision. When you get up to 105 Me personally, I dont realize its that fast and I am pushing the pedal down even harder begging for more. A lot of the Flat bottoms and other big engine boats don't seem to love you for your quiet ultra handling machine gives them a spanking. Yes there are boats that will beat you but not many and they dont turn on a dime. I forgot my year and the specs but I miss it. If you buy one you cant go jumping wakes like I crazily did in my old jet boat. This boat will stand straight up in a blink. Lots of power ,light weight boat. Also dont go out when the big boats are creating tons of wake. This boat will ride right over chop no problem but big waves and if you get two from different angles you will submarine like I did on my last run ever. Went under and right back up running no problem. I wasnt scared but I was turning towards the ramp and Moabi so it was actually the last ride of the season and I just happened to sell it. Would I love to go at it again with the Mirage and push it......You Bet!
What size wakes/chop is the limit to where it is no longer safe to run at 70+ in the Mirage? Always have loved them, but never drove one or ever pulled the trigger...

·
Sushi Inspector
2,311 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and try to answser. All it takes is 1 wakeboard rollbar POS boat to ruin the day!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
How much chop

You might think I am crazy But it seems like we always talked about three foot chop. These boats ride chop just fine. It seems likes with just the slightest ripple you could go the fastest. Seems like lest surface touching the water. Anybody agree there??? trying to remember. I rolled a car coming back from Laughlin (contact dried and stuck to eye and rubbing it right before turn at 40 freeway entrance) seems like I forget things like that.But I do remember it was an awesome boat. Where did you buy your boat and how much?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mirage boaters hurt and killed?

What is the S F board? Anybody know where the guys were that got killed or hurt? This boat is so smooth and fast its like driving a luxury car. I don't realize I am going that fast and if you don't realize it ,mistakes magnify at those speeds. Sometimes its just the other guy making a u-turn etc. You have a great boat but don't feel invinsible. I don't trust myself in one because I know it still wasn't fast enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.