Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have a 1980 Mastercraft (not a v-drive) with a 454 BBC in it. I got the boat a few months ago with the motor torn down and spread across multiple boxes, pieces missing everywhere, and I have slowly been piecing it all back together. The boat originally was running a cam driven water pump, but at some point the previous owner swapped it to a crank-driven Johnson style pump. I have rebuilt the motor, and it's now back in the boat. My issue is that the crank driven pump I have protrudes too far off of the front of the motor, and now the ski pylon/engine cover do not fit. The motor is back into it's original position and can't be shifted back. It seems this crank driven pump will not work for my application.

When building the motor, I found a cam drive for a cam driven water pump in a box, and threw it on in case I ended up swapping back to this setup. From my estimation, a cam driven pump will clear both the engine cover and pylon. I have found a Magnaflow pump for sale, which I believe extends 6.5" or so off of the front of the timing cover. This should clear, but it will still be very close... Before throwing money at this hoping it will work, I figured I would check to see if anyone has a shorter Neovane style pump they're willing to sell. I could make a V755 or a V505 work. It just seems incredibly hard to find these pumps online.

If anyone has suggestions, questions, or leads, please let me know. Thank you!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have one (V755) sitting on a shelf somewhere. Let me look around for it and I'll take some pictures and get back to you.

Mod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts