Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am looking for a nice family jet boat. I am looking for something like the Carrera 205 Elite. I have heard mixed opinions on the Carrera about them needing more maintenance than other similar boats. So far I am looking at Commander 21', Ultra 21', and the Carrera 205. Are there any other good brands/boats to be looking for? I am specifically looking for something around that size, jet, with an open bow. I showed the wife a Carrera and she really likes these style of boats and I think it would be perfect for hauling friends and family around for a fun day on the river. Also are these boats able to handle 70mph on the water? I'm not looking for anything stupid fast, 70 seems like a good top speed point.

Side note, I am also hoping to do some fishing from my future boat. Any reason I cant put a drop in fishing deck in the open bow part to fish from? Family likes to bass fish. Thanks for any advice and recommendations :thumb:! Sorry in advance if this is a total noob post.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Not a fisherman....(My Father made me clean every fish we caught from 1969 to 78...approx' 150 fish a year....and they know I don't like 'em so they won't hit my lure). Anyway, taking out the cushions and having a plywood platform with seat that BOLTS in should work great...If you have the right engine cover you may be able to add a seat there, too.

When I was young, back in the late 60s thru early 70s, we had a Glastron Bayflite that worked great as a ski boat, fishing boat, camping gear transport, etc....No reason not to multi-task the boat. By the way, any time you see a jet boat (or I/O or OB)with the 45* corners on the transom, that boat was a splash(Illegal copy) of the Bayflite like my Father's.....That hull design is the most manufactured boat hull by at least a factor of ten...maybe 100 X.....(Even the 18' sidewinders were extended copies of the 16' Bayflite)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I am not a huge fisherman, but I do enjoy bass fishing when my wife wants to go. I would definitely bolt the platform down, too dangerous just to have it sit there. I was thinking of doing some work to the rear to allow easy fishing from the back as well. But it sounds like I'm not crazy trying to use a performance/family jet boat for fishing as well :D. I've been looking for one, but they are pretty hard to find. Most are down in California and Arizona, I'm way up in WA...

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
Carrera is a good hull. Another hull to think of is the Eliminator 21'. They also made an open bow in the Sport Cruiser. It's a nice hull as well. Mine served us well. As far as speed, if you're looking at wanting a jet, you're going to have to have some HP to get it to the 70MPH mark. I was about 60-65MPH (4500' elevation) and pushing about 500HP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, I really like the Carrera's. Those style of boats look really nice. I'll check out the Eliminator as well. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may want to give Tony Skagen a call at Skagen boats, he might have a line on a few boats. He is located in western Wa.
Thanks for the resource :thumb:. I am in Eastern WA, Wenatchee to be precise, but I have no problem traveling to find the right boat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts