Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Do It In The Dirt!!
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been some time since I've raced, and I want to get back into it, this time in the Vintage Class. Yeah so I'm only 28, but who cares, I've got some grey hair!!

Looking for something 250cc or more and preferably running!!

Thanks,

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
1974 Maico MC 440

I have this MINT 1974 Maico MC440 that is AHRMA legal for the vintage class. These bikes dominated the open class during the 70's and early 80's and continue to dominate at the AHRMA national vintage races. I have not run it for 2+ years since there are no vintage races within 500 miles of me in Minnesota. Nice Maico's and CZ's are rarely seen for sale anymore. I'll sell mine for $4,800.00 including shipping to your door. PM me if interested.
Jocko

Attachments

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
If you can get more specific on what your looking for I will ask my uncle...He will have four of whatever you are looking for...:)devil

Cee Zee, Bultaco, Harley Baja's, Honda, Yamaha, Triumph, BSA, Suzuki...He literally has hundreds of vintage bikes, most authentic MX and short trackers, including some previously owned by heroes.....

Check this out.... Hollister Hills SVRA, Hollister California Vintage moto-cross motocross :)devil

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
Not trying to dissuade you, just wanting to let you know what you're getting into. We all have our recollections of what these bikes were, but trust me when I tell you, time causes you to gloss over all these old bikes short comings. When I decided to get back into flattrack racing, I wanted a Bultaco Astro since these where the shiznit back in the day. No problem finding one, but if you've got modern bike experience, living with it sucked. The old bikes can and do make good power, that's for sure, but suspension, brakes, clutches and friggen ignitions SUCK!!! I moved to a Champion framed modern water cooled CR250... As time passed, the memories of that Astro faded and I again dipped my toes into the Vintage class, this time with a couple Yamaha TT500 bikes. Again, all the old issues are there, but they are less a factor in flattrack. When I was done converting the bike, the old suspension,brakes and ignition were changed out for modern parts... A lot of work, but I have a decent bike an old fat guy can race competitively... That said, it's still a far cry from my CRF450 based flattracker...
You better LOVE working on vintage bikes if you plan on racing them. Parts are getting harder to find, expensive and decent cores to build as well. If you don't mind all this, vintage stuff is a great way to hang around a bunch of pretty fast has beens (and a few heros)!! Best of luck.

·
Do It In The Dirt!!
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never got to experience the old skool bikes, my first bike was a '87 Honda Z-50 and a bunch of other 90's 2 strokers after that, an XR 400 and I've got a CRF 450 now, but I just wanna go out and play, I know it costs money to be competitive and to have a reliable piece. I don't plan to put a bunch of money into this, I just wanna try it out and if my bike breaks, I'll have some ice cold PBR's to keep me satisfied while I bullshit with the has beens and never were's!!

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
I never got to experience the old skool bikes, my first bike was a '87 Honda Z-50 and a bunch of other 90's 2 strokers after that, an XR 400 and I've got a CRF 450 now, but I just wanna go out and play, I know it costs money to be competitive and to have a reliable piece. I don't plan to put a bunch of money into this, I just wanna try it out and if my bike breaks, I'll have some ice cold PBR's to keep me satisfied while I bullshit with the has beens and never were's!!
Well, you got the right attitude. Go for it and have a good time... You wanna kick it really old school, give flattrack a try. SoCal has a great flattrack organization racing around the Corona area.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hey Greg...How'bout a sixties "40 cu. inch Flat Tracker". This would be "Some Fun"!! :D

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I raced the vintage motorcross for a while with my dad. I have to say it was a blast. As far as racing goes, its relatively inexpensive, and almost all the people involved were great. I started riding at six on a mr 50, xr75,cr80,cr250, then onto a vintage cz 250. I loved the vintage ride, and group. Its totally appropriate you post this in the v drive section, becouse these are vintage muscle bikes, just like a vintage muscle cars, or vintage v drive boats..One piece of advise, and not becouse my old man is selling that Maico, but just like a hot rod, hot boat,bike, or anything else, you are way better off spending a little more if you can, and getting something nicer, or more complete. Usually when you spend 10% more you get something 25% nicer etc. etc., within reason of course. Good Luck on whatever you choose. Steve

·
Do It In The Dirt!!
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve D : Is that thing FOR SALE!? Looks BITCHIN'!!

LittleJockCougar:

Yeah that seems to be the problem, I'd like to keep it around $1500, but everything is a basket case, all the nice pieces are over $2500...I guess I'm just waiting to pull the trigger when I find a person who's real hard up to sell....:D

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
Hey Greg...How'bout a sixties "40 cu. inch Flat Tracker". This would be "Some Fun"!! :D

There's a guy that runs a Triumph in the vintage expert class at Lodi. He's over 60 and hauls ass. His lap times aren't far off open expert times.... Triumphs are very cool bikes, but not cheap to build and maintain.

LittleJockCougar:

Yeah that seems to be the problem, I'd like to keep it around $1500, but everything is a basket case, all the nice pieces are over $2500...I guess I'm just waiting to pull the trigger when I find a person who's real hard up to sell....:D
Like I said, vintage racing isn't cheap. For $2k, you can buy a modern bike that will run up front in the Vet/Sr. classes. Really hard to do that in vintage anything... Also, you don't wanna start with a basket case. Vintage bikes are like boats, there's nothing more expensive than a free one... Spend a little extra and get one that's already built. May seem like a lot, but you can just about bet it will be way cheaper by the time you hit the track... Costs aside, vintage guys generally love their equipment and are cool to hang with. Also, they gotta be at work Monday too so they'll rarely take you out to get by... Remember, you can't put a price tag on a good time...

·
Liquid Louie
262 Posts
I have this MINT 1974 Maico MC440 that is AHRMA legal for the vintage class. These bikes dominated the open class during the 70's and early 80's and continue to dominate at the AHRMA national vintage races. I have not run it for 2+ years since there are no vintage races within 500 miles of me in Minnesota. Nice Maico's and CZ's are rarely seen for sale anymore. I'll sell mine for $4,800.00 including shipping to your door. PM me if interested.
Jocko

Sweet bike! My friends brother Had the Maico 490 Sand Spider when they came out with it, I think about 83' and that thing was bad ass! Nothing would touch it on a desert run. I was still riding a YZ80 then with White Brother head, shocks and clutch, but I remember him letting us ride that a time or two out at Murphy before the Enduro races. Then they went tits up and he switched to Huskys.

·
Do It In The Dirt!!
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's a guy that runs a Triumph in the vintage expert class at Lodi. He's over 60 and hauls ass. His lap times aren't far off open expert times.... Triumphs are very cool bikes, but not cheap to build and maintain.

Like I said, vintage racing isn't cheap. For $2k, you can buy a modern bike that will run up front in the Vet/Sr. classes. Really hard to do that in vintage anything... Also, you don't wanna start with a basket case. Vintage bikes are like boats, there's nothing more expensive than a free one... Spend a little extra and get one that's already built. May seem like a lot, but you can just about bet it will be way cheaper by the time you hit the track... Costs aside, vintage guys generally love their equipment and are cool to hang with. Also, they gotta be at work Monday too so they'll rarely take you out to get by... Remember, you can't put a price tag on a good time...
I have a modern bike...an '06 CRF 450, I could race this weekend if I wanted, but I'll be at Supercross with Phil and Randall Gould!! That'll be trouble!! I'm just not interested in racing modern classes, I've done plenty of it...

I grew up racing all over southern california, mostly intermediate, but I did race expert and won a few, so I know I'd have fun and be competitive in the vintage classes and I've seen a lot of bikes out there for under $2k that would work just fine. I'll have to keep you posted on what I spend and how I end up doing...you may prove me wrong but I think I can do it...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

No Greg. I have two great friends whose father past and they just finished this. He ran quite often at Ascot. My Dad did the engine and they farmed the rest. It'a beauty!!

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
gxl& is a freakin rock star on a dirt bike!!!:worship:

He smokes midlife crisis! :)devil

Greg with his dad Jack at Racetown. The Landers family can ride!!!

This is Midlife crisis riding the best bike he's ever ridden (left) Jack in front and Greg in back.

·
Do It In The Dirt!!
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jerry...

It's hard to be modest when you've got Jerry's hard drive lurking!!

As far as Mid-Life Crisis goes, he can ride too!! But he's better at Electric Go-Karts!!:D

Where's all the vintage bikes for sale?! Guess I'll have to buy Bob's!

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
It's hard to be modest when you've got Jerry's hard drive lurking!!

As far as Mid-Life Crisis goes, he can ride too!! But he's better at Electric Go-Karts!!:D

Where's all the vintage bikes for sale?! Guess I'll have to buy Bob's!
I dont know if SnoopyJohn has connections in SoCal but he has one of every bike ever made and two of many... PLUS tons of parts... UNREAL collection... He is up in the frozen tundra wearing a toque... Eh...

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
gxl& is a freakin rock star on a dirt bike!!!:worship:

He smokes midlife crisis! :)devil

Greg with his dad Jack at Racetown. The Landers family can ride!!!

This is Midlife crisis riding the best bike he's ever ridden (left) Jack in front and Greg in back.
Clearly you guys can ride!! Try this stuff on a vintage bike and you'll understand why, after reviewing x-rays of his ankles, Bob Hanna's doctor asked him if he jumped off buildings for a living. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts