Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to the v-drive boating world but hooked after one ride in my 1980 Hondo v-drive. I'm looking for some new motor plates and angle mounting blocks as a previous owner moved the motor forward and cut and cobbled the current ones in the boat. Does anyone know where to start to find some or do you have any 4 sale. Plus I'm looking for any information on the boat with the name "bat out of Hell" Currently set up with a 454 gen VI, cassle v-drive alum. heads, 850 holly and basset headers. Does anyone have a Honod boat that is already set-up that will save me some time getting my dialed in.

More info: the measurements from the transom are 36" to the front of the eng and 60" to the back and 95-96" to the v drive. The center strut has been removed and I have been told that its a runner bottom.

Thanks again,
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
Welcome to the boards Rob. Your best bet is to post some pics of your boat. People love pics on this site and might be able to get look at your boat and how it is set up now. Ah, Who am I kidding, I just like to see pictures of different boats.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I'm new to the v-drive boating world but hooked after one ride in my 1980 Hondo v-drive. I'm looking for some new motor plates and angle mounting blocks as a previous owner moved the motor forward and cut and cobbled the current ones in the boat. Does anyone know where to start to find some or do you have any 4 sale. Plus I'm looking for any information on the boat with the name "bat out of Hell" Currently set up with a 454 gen VI, cassle v-drive alum. heads, 850 holly and basset headers. Does anyone have a Honod boat that is already set-up that will save me some time getting my dialed in.

Thanks again,
Rob
Welcome to the boards Rob. My oldman has a 1980 hondo that he retired from boat racing and now is a ski boat. Let me know if you have any questions. I have most of the measurements if you would like them? Here's a link for Dan Aaseth @ Canyon Marine. He has all kinds of installation hardware like motor rails, motor plates, etc.. ready to go. http://www.dragboats.com/classifieds/allads.php?AdTypeID=10.

·
Purple headed member
7,170 Posts
Welcome to the boards Rob. Your best bet is to post some pics of your boat. People love pics on this site and might be able to get look at your boat and how it is set up now. Ah, Who am I kidding, I just like to see pictures of different boats.
I dissagree. Pics are ok but they lack the knowledge and education that the written text offers. Asking the right questions and getting the right answeres is alway more important than some gay picture.
Anyways, lets see some pics of this lake rod so we can see what we are dealing with here...........

·
Purple headed member
7,170 Posts

More info: the measurements from the transom are 36" to the front of the eng and 60" to the back and 95-96" to the v drive. The center strut has been removed and I have been told that its a runner bottom.

Thanks again,
Rob
The motor is too far forward for your power. Ditch that prop and change the grears accordingly.
How were the "Mounting plates/ blocks" ruined by moving the motor forward or are you talking about the motor rails that run along the inside of the stringers?
Also, where are you located? You might have a V-drive guy near you that can give you hands on advice and point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. The first thing I would do is inspect the prop, strut, shaft and all the safety callers. The shaft looks like it was left in the water for a while. Good Luck with the build.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The motor is too far forward for your power. Ditch that prop and change the grears accordingly.
How were the "Mounting plates/ blocks" ruined by moving the motor forward or are you talking about the motor rails that run along the inside of the stringers?
Also, where are you located? You might have a V-drive guy near you that can give you hands on advice and point you in the right direction.
Scott get back to JET BOATS!! Why is the motor to far forward if the measurement is 36" from the transom to the front of the motor? Come on Scotty get with the program!!:)bulb:D

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Scott get back to JET BOATS!! Why is the motor to far forward if the measurement is 36" from the transom to the front of the motor? Come on Scotty get with the program!!:)bulb:D
The motor is just fine where it is, you have to lose that old brass 3 blade first off, and start with something like a menkins 11 !/4 or 1/2 14 2 blade or an old stellings 11 1/2 15 but the stellings from my experience always seemed to bounce and were hard to set'. The Mekins seemed to have a different rake and worked better for me. Plenty of guys on the board have props. With that motor, maybe 15 to 18 gears, adjust it all up and spend some quality seat time figuring out how to drive it. Thats the most fun the first couple of rides !!!!!!!

·
Purple headed member
7,170 Posts
36 is fine for a well powered runnerbottom but I'd bet anything that scooting it back to 33-34 would help it out. Old hardware, 3 blade prop etc etc, that thing is a ski boat with the motor in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
36 is fine for a well powered runnerbottom but I'd bet anything that scooting it back to 33-34 would help it out. Old hardware, 3 blade prop etc etc, that thing is a ski boat with the motor in the wrong spot.
Good point, if you want to have a ski-natique !!! Wasn't even thinking that direction !!!!! The motor probably only twists 4800........... so you are definately right in your hypothesis I concur !!!!!!!!!:)devil

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sorry brother I disagree, i moved the motor around in my Hondo Runner bottom and it worked best with the motor at 36" with any power I threw at it.

Now cutting the strut and moving the prop around was a different story as well as what prop worked best. And Violator I would start with a 12 gear and go down myself.:)bulb

·
just a ski boat with bark
2,884 Posts
Sorry brother I disagree, i moved the motor around in my Hondo Runner bottom and it worked best with the motor at 36" with any power I threw at it.
:D

Now cutting the strut and moving the prop around was a different story as well as what prop worked best. And Violator I would start with a 12 gear and go down myself.:)bulb
Seems like mine must be similar to your old one and 12's work pretty good. LOL :)hand

·
Purple headed member
7,170 Posts

You never had any power less than 800 in that boat. This boat maybe has 450-500 tops. I agree there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.
Cole Cash was set in @ 34 and 3/4 and it did fine...............:)devil

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The motor is just fine where it is, you have to lose that old brass 3 blade first off, and start with something like a menkins 11 !/4 or 1/2 14 2 blade or an old stellings 11 1/2 15 but the stellings from my experience always seemed to bounce and were hard to set'. The Mekins seemed to have a different rake and worked better for me. Plenty of guys on the board have props. With that motor, maybe 15 to 18 gears, adjust it all up and spend some quality seat time figuring out how to drive it. Thats the most fun the first couple of rides !!!!!!!
Everyone thanks for the info, this is great: I have someone that is helping me with the prop and will let me try his out. The main reason I placed a post is to get as much information as I could. I'm sure someone has the same boat that is dialed in . This year is for seat time and the winter I will redo the entire boat. Plans are for a 6-71 or 8-71 blower, but I only need to hit 95mph for now that is.

·
Purple headed member
7,170 Posts
Everyone thanks for the info, this is great: I have someone that is helping me with the prop and will let me try his out. The main reason I placed a post is to get as much information as I could. I'm sure someone has the same boat that is dialed in . This year is for seat time and the winter I will redo the entire boat. Plans are for a 6-71 or 8-71 blower, but I only need to hit 95mph for now that is.
95 shuold be no problem.....
This little gem hit 90 mph with everything in the wrong place and bouncing like a basketball. The motor was a warmed over Suburban unit that had a set of stock 990's and a tunnel ram. All stock rigging (no rails etc) and a sigle spring.
It had 9 gears....................:)devil
If yours is set up properly, you wil have no problem hitting your goal........

·
Registered
185 Posts
95 shuold be no problem.....
This little gem hit 90 mph with everything in the wrong place and bouncing like a basketball. The motor was a warmed over Suburban unit that had a set of stock 990's and a tunnel ram. All stock rigging (no rails etc) and a sigle spring.
It had 9 gears....................:)devil
If yours is set up properly, you wil have no problem hitting your goal........

what size and pitch of prop were u running with the 9% gears?

·
Registered
247 Posts
You never had any power less than 800 in that boat. This boat maybe has 450-500 tops. I agree there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.
Cole Cash was set in @ 34 and 3/4 and it did fine...............:)devil
Scotty, You were in a jet boat when I had my bone stock 468 in my hondo and trust me if it made 650 on a good day I should be a motor builder ------NOT!!! I will stick to my day job. In any case my Canyon is at 37 in" and seems to be fine with 798 h.p as yours will be to. And the Karma boat hit 90----00 rpm when it popped out of gear LOL Remember????? Just givin ya a bad time.:D:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.