Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member here, excited to be starting on a boat my grandpa gave me. It's been sitting since 96 though, needs a lot. I'd appreciate some recommendations on places in Central Valley (I'm in Fresno) that are good for buffing out the gel coat, restriping, and interior work. A glass shop too please. the fiberglass actually looks real good from what I've seen so far but I'd like to be ready.

I start taking things off starting with interior this week. Plan right now is to build it as close to how my grandpa had it as possible.

Also, anyone had a blower rebuilt local? I was planning on taking it to littlefield in SoCal on my way to Oceanside to visit family. I know they're top of the line and real fair on price, but I am open to suggestions.

I know threads are worthless without pics

·
Steady Rollin
1,099 Posts
thats killer, i wonder how much it can be cleaned up with a wet sand and some love.

If the budget allows, i think i'd want to go through the engine, freshen it up to know you dont have any surprises.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. We are hoping a good buff or sand will bring it back and I'll just need to have the graphics repainted. I guess the Robin Egg blue wasn't real common. And also cool he never named it so we can pick one.

engine is gonna be last step but definitely what I'm most excited about, especially since my 10yo daughter wants to rebuild it with us. I want to do the carb rebuilds side by side w her, how many 10yo girls can say they've rebuilt an 850 double pumper?! Plan is to get a new short block for it, grandpa says it was already bored over he can't remember how much 30 or 60. Shooting for 700hp as that's about what he had before and he said for cruising and skis it would run all day at low RPM. I'll have the trans rebuilt as well.

I gave my wife a projected budget, she said go for it. AND she made me fresh chocolate chip cookies this weekend. What a woman. :)

Red

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Congratulations on a great gift and having a loving and generous grandpa.
If you want a really good cut and buff and your wife gave you an unlimited check book there is none better than Smooth as Glass, they are in Riverbank, CA. north of you. Buddy had an older Eliminator Daytona, not quite as weathered as yours, looked factory fresh when he picked it up. They are not cheap, but there is none better. Their phone number is 209 869 3545, 2808 Patterson Rd. Riverbank, CA. 95367. They have a website you can check out their work and quality of the results.

·
Steady Rollin
1,099 Posts
Thanks guys. We are hoping a good buff or sand will bring it back and I'll just need to have the graphics repainted. I guess the Robin Egg blue wasn't real common. And also cool he never named it so we can pick one.

engine is gonna be last step but definitely what I'm most excited about, especially since my 10yo daughter wants to rebuild it with us. I want to do the carb rebuilds side by side w her, how many 10yo girls can say they've rebuilt an 850 double pumper?! Plan is to get a new short block for it, grandpa says it was already bored over he can't remember how much 30 or 60. Shooting for 700hp as that's about what he had before and he said for cruising and skis it would run all day at low RPM. I'll have the trans rebuilt as well.

I gave my wife a projected budget, she said go for it. AND she made me fresh chocolate chip cookies this weekend. What a woman. :)

Red

Sounds like a fun plan. Are you going to try to fire it up before the rebuild or going straight into it?

You might want to also do some reading on these hulls as well, maybe talk to some of the guys who run them with some decent HP. I've heard they can get a little squirly past 80mph

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She gave me a fast timeline, but not unlimited budget, I wish. I wish we had enough that she could let me go crazy. I will check those guys out and see the price. The stringers look solid I really think I’m ok fiberglass wise. I think a cut and buff and new striping should work.

Good asvice on talking to people that ran them. My buddies FIL had one and sold it to his friend so there’s two guys in addition to my grandpa I can talk to.

Plan is just to go straight to rebuild on engine. Blower definitely needs a rebuild and grandpa said the engine was getting tired. We made major progress today. Only about 4 hours but had the whole family working.

40FAE282-5795-4FB0-A4BA-94578BF601AF.jpg

Looks like the wood took the biggest hit, should be enough good there for me to make new pieces from. Figure why pay the upholstery shop for that. The exhaust manifolds were an SOB to get off.

Everyone was excited to pitch in.

Any paint recommendations? Upholstery?

Red

·
rollin on the river
1,929 Posts
Congratulations on a great gift and having a loving and generous grandpa.
If you want a really good cut and buff and your wife gave you an unlimited check book there is none better than Smooth as Glass, they are in Riverbank, CA. north of you. Buddy had an older Eliminator Daytona, not quite as weathered as yours, looked factory fresh when he picked it up. They are not cheap, but there is none better. Their phone number is 209 869 3545, 2808 Patterson Rd. Riverbank, CA. 95367. They have a website you can check out their work and quality of the results.
I would have to agree!!!!!
SMOOTH AS GLASS is the shit!!!

·
Upstanding Member
12,708 Posts
Years ago there was a guy named Pierre that had a blue and white, blown, double bubble cruiser. I think it had a Teague motor in it. Anyway, it was very impressive to watch it run. If you're on facebook you can watch video of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two endorsements, I’ll definitelt check them out! I’m thinking I need to redo the trailer and all it’s lights first so I can take it places for getting solid quotes.

Anyone hear of fiberglass unlimited? Used to be in Fresno now Madera ranches. If it’s the place I called a couple months back then they also do interior work too.

Thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Years ago there was a guy named Pierre that had a blue and white, blown, double bubble cruiser. I think it had a Teague motor in it. Anyway, it was very impressive to watch it run. If you're on facebook you can watch video of it.
You’re correct Jerry. Pierre gave Steve and I a ride in his asanger mini 20+ years ago at CFW. It had a fresh Teague blown 540 and it ran VERY strong! I particularly liked the all forward facing seating he had done as well.

I have previously owned the Antonini family Sanger that the ski raced with. It was very squirrelly at speeds from 80-100, again with a blown 500+” BBC. The competing skiers did NOT like being alongside that boat at speed. They then had a Delta Pad cut into the rear v-bottom and it then handled like a dream. I bought it turn-key with a blown 468 and it GPS’d at 96mph with offshore style exhaust. I removed that exhaust and installed restrictive logs/snails in order to cover the engine and re-install the rear jump seats. It then ran right on 90 mph. LOL, another beautiful boat I wish I had back now! Jocko

Attachments

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
I would definitely reach out to Brien at Bullet Extreme for any hull work, and maybe Mark Foxen but Ive never used him personally. And locally there is also a handful of reputable engine builders that can help you. Boghosian, Dave's Performance, AMS, Joe Bettencourt, and Kens up in North Fork. All are very involved in the sport.

Also a handful of shows and day events around for you to network with local guys. 2 a year at Bass, Millerton runs with the v drive club, and a couple car shows doing boat classes lately.

Nice to see another v drive cruiser in town. We are in Kerman and have 3.

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys! Sorry I dropped off face of the earth. What happened was my wife spent a day working on it with me and freaked out about how much work and $$ and it stopped.

Now after a day at the lake, and her friend just buying a new wake surfing boar she is open again IF I can do it for 15. I have a Harley I’m willing to sell too so call it 20.

Is that remotely possible guys? The hull is going to be first thing I check. If it can be cut and buffed and I can put most of the money into mechanical and interior that’s big factor. IF it needs a new gel coat or has hull issues that’ll put an end to it.

So I have a couple questions for the experts:
1. Will that budget be remotely possible? (I can have a buddy rebuild the engine with me to save on that labor, but I need a short block. The old one was already bored out on the previous build). I’ll redo the trailer on my own
2. Recommendations for good, but not the pricey fancy, interior places in the Central Valley.

I am planning to start with bullet extreme since they are recommended and close by

I want to get some quotes before pulling the trigger. It’s registered and I’m getting tires for it this weekend.

Thanks

Red

·
Steady Rollin
1,099 Posts
I'd honestly say the big questions come from the condition of the hull, inside and out. If the glass and wood inside look good, that will really help you figure out the budget. Your budget can get way blown out if you need new stringers or new gel. Another option would be to paint it if you cant restore the gel. You can get a good paint job for 1/2 - 1/3 of the cost of a full re-gel. I'd do some home work on gel restoration processes. There some good 3m products that would help you.

The other major items are pretty straight forward. Unless you have a hookup on the interior you're prob in the 5-6k ballpark, if new bases are needed. Engine is totally opened ended based on wants and needs, but you could piece something together for less than 2k if you have a bud like you mentioned, then maybe go through the trans? Assuming everything else is there you're looking at some elbow grease to get things polished up and dialed in. If youre getting into stripping things down, you can also rack up some dollars in "good" nuts and bolts and washers, but you should at least check the major components and ensure they're not cheapo homedepot grade 3 bulk bin junk.

How did the the gel look after you washed the dirt off?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The gel looked good honestly. But I’m not a fiberglass guy. I couldn’t see cracks or anything. So I’m hopeful. I am going to have to learn a lot for this whole process. I didn’t know you could paint over gel. That’s great, when I take it to get checked if they say the gel is too far gone I will ask for prices on paint instead.

I figured interior would be 5-6. I will need bases. They are mostly shot, enough there to probably make some patterns with. They were weak when they came out and then got stored for a year in the rain. (I wanted to stack them on the boat under a cover, my uncle put them on pallets and left them exposed) I don’t have any hookups unfortunately. Other than the buddy who has built engines and can help with that stuff.

Great information, I really appreciate it. You’ve pointed me to more things I need to learn about.

Red

·
Steady Rollin
1,099 Posts
Something else to consider, assuming the gels not totally shot, is trying some of those 3m gel restoration compounds (or anything similar, doesnt have to be 3m) I mentioned. You can do them with a DA polisher and see what sort of finish you can get. It might not be that dark deep lush finish that it was, but I bet you can get it pretty damn good if its as good as you say it is. Theres a couple threads on RDP's forum where people have done wonders on older boats, hell one Daytona came out looking brand new.

Run it like that for a season before you decide to pull the trigger on a paint job, it wont be the end of the world.

As far as the interior stuff goes, i know theres some central cal guys that might be able to offer some opinions, get all the mechanical items sorted before you do that. Youll want to make sure you dont have to make any changes to the floors to account for any moving of hardware (throttle, cav controls, etc) Spend some time thinking about the interior layouts you might like, i personally like the 2 buckets and a rear bench + hatch, but that kind of cuts down on your people count.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I try to grab every pic I can of their interiors to figure it out. I need to seat 6. Family of 4 plus a friend for each girl.

Does everyone just leave the space under th front empty and store vest and towables up there?

Red

·
Steady Rollin
1,099 Posts
I try to grab every pic I can of their interiors to figure it out. I need to seat 6. Family of 4 plus a friend for each girl.

Does everyone just leave the space under th front empty and store vest and towables up there?

Red
got ya, thats a tricky one. You'll likely be stuck with your current configuration then if you need 6. But ya, you're gonna have some very unhappy girls sitting on either side of that engine with that blower belt whipping around. I'd try to at least get a alum shroud for it for safety, even thought its under the hatch, i'd still be worried with my kid sitting next to it.

as far as the front goes, yea, mines mostly empty. I will stash one of those block of 4 life vests up there just to be complaint, as well as some odds and ends. Soft cooler is typically up against one of the seat backs in the front of the back seat. Ski goes in between the front seats if we're skiing (i have full floors)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts