Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i own a 20.5 Cougar Sport skier .. 454 EFI 1996 the boat is.. was talking to pro charger about there m1 and m3 kits.. m1 was 4999.00
and the m3 was 5699.. both had self contained oil systems.. guy told me id jump from 385 prop horse to just shy of 600 at 5psi.. and would gain 15-20mph.. anyone firmiliar with these kits?? aswell as once there on do you need to take it in and do something with the computer??

thanks alot
daniel

·
Registered
629 Posts
Get a hold of Steve Morris at New Era Engines, 231-557-8262.

He's on yellowbullitt.com as the supercharged sections sponsor.

Jim

·
Registered
302 Posts
Due to the fact that any centrifugal makes 1/4th the boost at half the rpm, almost all of the mph must come from higher rpm at top speed. If you prop it for the same rpm but with the higher speed, you give up a bunch of bottom end performance. That would be holeshot. Peeps with centrifugals prop somewhere between the two extremes, give up some holeshot, and raise rpm at top speed. Thats why whipple and roots blowers are more popular even tho they are less efficient. My 25 Daytona can make acceptable holeshot without the blower with a 26" prop, but with the 14-71, chiller and 12 lbs, I can pull a 31"to 33"(1.19 gear). My cruise rpm is around 20% lower as is fuel consumption. This is because almost every boat can pull more prop at top end than when getting on plane. Mine makes about 5 lbs. just getting on plane normally. If I hold the throttle to where it will barely struggle to get on plane, it will finally run about 80+ unless I pull back the throttle. This is normal. Think about your holeshot and what your top rpm must be with the more hp. In the old days Paxton and McCulloch both had variable speed or two speed blowers, and those were for cars that don't need as much bottom end as a boat needs. This is why only the smaller centrifugals are popular on boats. The higher the boost, the worse this problem becomes. TIMINATOR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey

ya im not to worried about holeshot as i just use this boat on the lake and cruise around.. im assuming with the EFI you would need to flash the computer when you bolt on the supercharger .. im spinning a 23 mirage right now at 5200 .. im sure i could spin a bigger blade anyone know of something else to try? i was thinking a 25 mirage since they dont make 24's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts