Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Antique Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A lot of posts on this subject, as well as a lot of ideas on dealing with it. I bought my 75 Hondo in 1979. Obviously, it had a lot of towing with the U bolt loose, to the point that it did some real damage and wallowed slots where the normal 5/16" holes would have been. As my hull was foamed in, short of removing the foam, some other step needed to be taken. If you have a hull that suffered the same damage as mine, this can actually be fixed as easy or easier than trying to tighten a loose U bolt assembly. I took a 1/4" X 4" flat bar and drilled and tapped two 5/16" 18 holes at 2" center and fed it into the slot and snagged it with some 5/16 all thread (not quite that easy). The set up shown is the 3rd unit I've built over the last 29 years, as there always seems to be a better mouse trap. With the boat fliipped over, I couldnt resist improvement over the last unit. This has two 3/8" SS risers drilled for 5/16 18 grade 8 socket head cap screws, heli arced to a base plate which was pre bent to 13 degrees. The 5/16" loop is heli arced between the risers. The bottom of the assembly is coated with Devcon Plastic Steel, and when it sets, will be pretty stout. Just another way to get it done without drilling a hole in the deck or removing the foam!:D

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts