Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i lost oil pressure, the gauge was fluctuating on the river and seemed good, but went out monday and totally lost it. have a starting point at the oil pump but was wondering if anyone has had this happen? thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
ok so i lost oil pressure, the gauge was fluctuating on the river and seemed good, but went out monday and totally lost it. have a starting point at the oil pump but was wondering if anyone has had this happen? thanks
Yes, turned out to be bad sending unit on electric guage.:)devil

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
You need to pull the distributor and try to spin the oil pump with a drill motor. then see if you have any pressure. Motor make will determine what you need to spin pump.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
For a Chevy you'll need an oil pump priming tool to spin the pump...or if you have an old distributor laying around you can grind the gear teeth off of the gear to make your own priming tool. But a priming tool is required to spin the pump. This is because the distributor shaft has a register in it that completes the path for oil to flow to the passenger side lifters. Without a priming tool installed you'll have very little if any oil pressure at all.

Also, the pump under normal operation spins clockwise so make sure you have your drill set to clockwise rotation.

Aside from that, x2 on pulling the dizzy and spinning the pump with a drill. Make sure you have the ignition key turned on so that the gauge will work. By spinning the pump in this fashion, you can try it, then change the sender and/or gauge without having to spin the motor.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Unless you have a "test" guage , buy a cheap manual guage kit at Pep boys or ?? for 19 bucks ,pull your sender install the manual gauge and crank the motor , on "cranking" alone you should see 15 to 25 psi OP if you don't I'd be looking at the lower end (brgs etc )Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
lost oil pressure thanks

hey guys tore the motor down today and come to find out i spun a rod beaing and wasted the main bearings. thanks for all the input i really appreciated it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts