Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
mach26 300's
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else feel bad for making low ball offers??? my dad always taught me the worst someone can say is no, whether it be women:D or buying something. i do feel bad but i just can't help see how bad someone wants to move something, anyone else?

·
Nuclear Powered
1,202 Posts
Money talks:D

I don't see car dealers feeling shy asking above sticker price, on new camaros.

If they don't like your offer, there are others who will step up, if the demand is there. If the ad says firm, then I think you should respect the sellers wishes, and if you feel the price is to high, walk away without counter offering their asking price.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I dont fell bad if i offer very low.It doesnt hurt to try all they can say is no and if you want it that bad then you will pay what you can afford.

On the flipside i dont feel insulted if someone offers way less than what i am asking for something.I just say i dont need to sell for that low cant blame them for trying either.

Others feel butt hurt about it.

·
mach26 300's
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats exactly it, i don't know why people get so butt hurt about offereing very low. most of the rhinos i'm looking at say MUST SELL!!, OBO, NEED TO SELL FAST!!. i have sold so much stuff in my life and its part of sellin, ya better be ready for low ball offers, and exactly ya can't blame people for tryin. i don't like when people waste my time. if they were to come to my house and wanna ride a bike i'm selling then offer me something ridiculous then i'd be mad. but if they sent me and email or called me telling me what they had i don't get offended at all.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
The only good deal is when both parties leave happy. That's the problem with this economy is every one wants take advantage of others hardship
I think you hit the nail on the head. To many people think that everything that is for sale, is because someone can't afford it. I don't get upset about lowball offers, I just tell them to pound sand. I generally head it off before I have to waste my time with someone. The part I get irritated about is someone wasting my time trying to get something at 60 cents on the dollar. If you don't want to spend the money, thats fine, just don't waste my time.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
The origional post was about low ball offers, to me, if I'm asking say $5k for something and some wise ass offers me $2k, he's gonna get told to pound sand, there isn't even a chance I would counter an offer like that.

It is out of respect that someone doesn't make stupid low offers. I always ask if they are open to offers first, then tell them not to be offended when I make an offer, it's just being respectful, I have had people make rediculous offers and get offended when I counter offer them 10% less than my asking price, I say to those, why get offended?, you made an offer 60% less than I was asking....

Just use some common sense.

GT :)hand

·
Registered
588 Posts
Don't ask.....don't get!!!!!:D
Applies to a lot of things.

Jim

·
Banned
3,331 Posts
If you're there to buy something it's business and you have to treat business as business. ;) . If you buy a boat from someone are they going to take you to the river all year and become close personal friends? Highly unlikely. Low balling is part of business in this economy.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
It's a buyers market and cash is everything.. Can't hurt to ask.. I say low ball.... It's nothing personal..
The thing with low ball offers is you better have cash(preferred)or some other guaranteed from of payment in full to pay if seller accepts.Not the well i have to check with the wife,i need to now see if i can get the financing,etc.

Be ready to back it up!

·
You who rock I salute you
3,207 Posts
Wife and I are shopping 30 footers and they want to hear anything and everything.
No way could we afford one the way we want it if the prices were at the same point they were 3 years ago.
NFW.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
As cited above, A good deal is when both parties go away happy. If I'm selling something I try to price it reasonably. If someone low-balls me to the point of being insulting I will not deal with him even at my asking price. I once sold a nice lil' 67 Ford F-100 pick up, fresh 300" inline 6, new clutch, rebuilt 3 speed, straight body, decent paint and interior. Good tires and recent brakes. Priced at $1500.00.... Guy with his teenaged kid looks at the pick up, we go for a test drive and everything is good so far. The kid, who the truck was for, loves it. Dad is going to show son how to beat the seller down mercilessly and starts nit-picking the truck finding shit like rock chips in the paint and the cheap am/fm radio. Goes on to complain about the big tires and wheel on the truck and a number of other things. After he gets done brow-beating me offers me $900.00....I tell him fock you, if you want a new truck go to the dealer and spend $12K, you are looking at a used truck and it ain't going to be perfect. After another offer of $1000, I told him don't waste my time, good bye. He, after not listening to him anymore and starting to walk away another offer...$1300.00...no deal, another offer, $1400.00....still no deal, he then offered my asking price and I replyed I wouldn't sell you this truck for $2K, get the fock outta here. His kid was pissed as he wanted this truck bad. I think the kid learned a lesson but not from his dad. If it is priced reasonably why insult the seller with a ridiculous low offer?

·
mach26 300's
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
as i said i would never go and see something and test drive it and throw a low ball offer. i am straight up emailing people telling them the cash i have, and if your interested, email me back, respectfully. and this is not to people that say firm but just the MUST SELL postings. but i agree that is total bullshit to go waste someones time meeting them and low ball the hell out of them by nit picking stupid stuff.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
?????????????? I Am Really Confused Now
When are you not? :D:D

I don't like wasting anyone's time, there's or mine...

If I like something that is for sale I won't do the whole meet me here or meet me there, I have to check with the wife, not show up when I say I will show up.....none of that crap...I see it for sale, I see how firm the sales price is, I go take a look and a test drive if I feel it is needed and make an offer with cash in my pocket if I like it...most of my purchases have taken less than 5 minutes without all that bull crap that comes along with the tire kicker mentality...if I look at it, I am interested and able to buy it.....you know the drill.....

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Speaking for myself, when I look to purchase an item, and especially from a private party, I am willing to pay full price or very close to the asking price or I won't waste their time or mine.

That being said, in my opinion those who make low ball offers to people who are desperate are more interested in money than being fair to a seller. Additionally, I think low balling displays lack of ones integrity and shows indifference to being fair to another person.

I can only hope that low ballers never find themselves in a financial situation where they must receive less for one of their possessions that it is worth and become victims of predatory bargain shoppers.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.