Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm new to performance boats but have played with turbos on cars and obviously motors are motors.

If one is after just a little more power it should, in theory, it should be pretty easy to fit an inexpensive turbo to most motors to run in the neighborhood of 5lbs or so.

This would require creating a custom exhaust manifold and little engine tuning at this boost level. One could simply use an after market fuel pressure regulator, a step colder plugs and a BTM or just a couple degrees of timing pulled. Or if you have a carburetor just run it a little rich.

I'm just wondering if this is something people do often and if so why not?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
If your talking about a draw thru carb, why the aftermarket fuel regulator? There is nothing special about control fuel flow in a drawn thru turbo deal other than making sure the is plenty. If you talking about blowing thru the carb, thats a little different. For starters, 5 lbs of boost is more enough to crash the brass floats in a stock Holley, like an empty beer can. Both arrangements have issues that require mods. But the mods are different.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gn7,

the FPR would be for fuel injection. I've never really looked at turbocharging with a carburetor - I'm aware there are additional issues.

Although, turbocharging a boat should be quite a bit easier for a few reasons. One is that spool time is not an issue so one could select a turbo that doesn't work hard and has great flow at low boost. Plus, you have all the cool water you need to keep things cool.

Running a big water cooled turbo at the very bottom of it's effective range would probably not even require charge cooling.

At any rate, I have seen blow through carb setups before so I know it can be done.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
To me it doesn't seem worth all the time and expense of a turbo or a blower package to run less than 1 bar of boost.

5# of boost may only add 150 hp to a 400 hp na engine and it really wouldn't save any significant expense over something that would really do the job. You still have to address the exhaust manifolds, turbos, wastegates, fuel system, piping, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To me it doesn't seem worth all the time and expense of a turbo or a blower package to run less than 1 bar of boost.

5# of boost may only add 150 hp to a 400 hp na engine and it really wouldn't save any significant expense over something that would really do the job. You still have to address the exhaust manifolds, turbos, wastegates, fuel system, piping, etc.
Well, that is you maybe. At 1 bar you are talking a whole other ballgame with additional tuning issues. Could a 496 with the standard outdrive handle that kind of boost? I'm talking an inexpensive setup and would be more than happy with an additional 150HP.

The Vortex blower might also be a good low cost option.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
The vortex will be much nicer to your drive than the turbo, if you get brainless. The Vortex cannot make boost with out RPM. the turbos can hit pretty frick'n hard if you lean on it at low Rs. Maybe not quite as hard as a roots, but pretty hard just the same. specially if the boat is packing any weight. Unchains boat is already up and moving at the hit. A heavy out drive will just dig and load the turbo and the drive, with the boat hardly moving.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts