Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DRIVE4SHOW-PUTT4$$$
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on my last night run , when I turn my interior and nav lights on. My volts on my dash gauge drops from 14v to 8v.....is this normal?

R

·
0 Posts
I noticed on my last night run , when I turn my interior and nav lights on. My volts on my dash gauge drops from 14v to 8v.....is this normal?
No. I'm guessing they wired your lights too close, or on the same wire, as your voltmeter. Put a meter on your battery and see what you get at night.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
check all your connectors on your lighting sys you may have an exposed wire grounding out on something or your alternator is getting ready to take a crap. have you tested it during the day or did you just notice it last night. obviously the problem would be there no matter what time of day it is. time to break out the old voltmeter and start tracing wires. load test your batteries and your alternator first and rule those out. then start looking for wires that may be grounding themselves out

·
DRIVE4SHOW-PUTT4$$$
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check all your connectors on your lighting sys you may have an exposed wire grounding out on something or your alternator is getting ready to take a crap. have you tested it during the day or did you just notice it last night. obviously the problem would be there no matter what time of day it is. time to break out the old voltmeter and start tracing wires. load test your batteries and your alternator first and rule those out. then start looking for wires that may be grounding themselves out
the problem is only when the lights are flipped on....during the day,running the stereo meter reads 13.8v

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
the problem is only when the lights are flipped on....during the day,running the stereo meter reads 13.8v
wow thats pretty isolated. your lighting systems are grounded somewhere make sure you inspect that and for any exposed wire that may be rubbing something metal there is no current in your lighting wires until you flip the switch so there may be some kind of interuption in the wire somewhere. im sure you think your batteries are good but just out of curiosity how old r u batteries??

U

·
0 Posts
No. I'm guessing they wired your lights too close, or on the same wire, as your voltmeter. Put a meter on your battery and see what you get at night.
X2

Not normal at all. Test at the battery

·
DRIVE4SHOW-PUTT4$$$
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow thats pretty isolated. your lighting systems are grounded somewhere make sure you inspect that and for any exposed wire that may be rubbing something metal there is no current in your lighting wires until you flip the switch so there may be some kind of interuption in the wire somewhere. im sure you think your batteries are good but just out of curiosity how old r u batteries??
just replaced with 2 blue top batteries last month.....i'll check the wires,also probably should check the reading at the battery when everything is running....thx for your help-hwlaser23

·
lurker
157 Posts
I had the same problem. After lots of isolating and searching it ended up being a ground wire and hot wire to the LIGHT BULB on one of the gauges were touching. The spade tabs were bent a little bit towards each other. Process of elimination.....have fun!

U

·
0 Posts
I had the same problem. After lots of isolating and searching it ended up being a ground wire and hot wire to the LIGHT BULB on one of the gauges were touching. The spade tabs were bent a little bit towards each other. Process of elimination.....have fun!
That should have blown a fuse, or worse

·
lurker
157 Posts
That should have blown a fuse, or worse
I agree, but there wasn't any obvious bare wire contact externally (kindufabitch to see real good) but seperating all the wires fixed the problem. It could have been a problem inside the gauge where there is not always full voltage therefore not enough of a short to blow the fuse. 20 year old gauges.

R

·
0 Posts
If your voltmeter isn't tied to the largest wire connected to the battery, you'll end up seeing a voltage drop anytime you flip something on that draws a decent amount of current. If they tapped your lights to the + terminal of your voltmeter, same dealio. If your battery is ok, you're not getting full voltage to your lights. Probably too small a wire. Could also be your alternator. A voltmeter at your battery terminals will tell the truth.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I get the same thing too but volts at battery are 13.5

My hatch was very slow before too then would only work if motor was on or very picky had to hit the switch 2-3 times then it would lift.I decided to trouble shoot and found that eliminator used a ground wire for the hatch switch off the guages(wonderd why my guages droped as a i hit the switch too).I rewired the ground to the engine and what do you know the hatch works like its suppose to and all is fine with that part.
Now if i can figure why the volt guage drops like that when i turn the lights on.but thats minor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts