1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Damn, that guy has some kind of luck, i think i counted 14 1/2. That ought to be some kind of record.

·
Bass Lake Dream'n
3,082 Posts
So how'd this all come about? Was he sitting in traffic one day asking himself "now that this isn't a carpool legal hybrid anymore, what can I do to really spice it up a bit? I KNOW, I'll make it go 200mph!"
I'm no LSR guy, but I do see a lot of these wrecks on YouTube all go down the same way. What causes the cars to go into a right turn at high speed?? Unforeseen aerodynamic issues, cross wind, traction issues?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how'd this all come about? Was he sitting in traffic one day asking himself "now that this isn't a carpool legal hybrid anymore, what can I do to really spice it up a bit? I KNOW, I'll make it go 200mph!"
I'm no LSR guy, but I do see a lot of these wrecks on YouTube all go down the same way. What causes the cars to go into a right turn at high speed?? Unforeseen aerodynamic issues, cross wind, traction issues?
The surface is inconsistent. One wheel hits a spot that is a little soft or slick and the car turns side ways. The place isn't the best for speeds that high. But its there and the AFB allows them to use it every so often and they jump at it.

The same thing can happen at Bonneville. There are times when the fastest cars won't run due to the salt conditions being inconsistent.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Hope he is a young fella because he is going to hurt from head to toe for weeks. If that was me I would be in more pieces than that the car....BBD

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Richard Petty flipped a Dodge (I think) like that and tumbled forever, I don't think he was the same guy after that, maybe somebody can dig up some footage on that ???? I think it was in the 70's when they were running about 220 mph at the Daytona 500.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like they said after Earnhart's crash at Daytona, the longer you crash, the better. Its that sudden ending that kills you.
IMO Rusty Wallaces crash at Daytona was as bad as Petty's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE1-C-QCnlg

IMHO, the king daddy of all crashes, the one I cannot figure out how he WALKED away, and neither can Nascar really, was Michael Waltrips Bristol crash with they still had the turn outs in the outside wall. Never seen a car this destroyed, or stop in such a short distance. If you look at it closely you see parts of the engine plus the front crash cage is stuck to the end of the wall. Check out where the steering wheel is when its over. The entire car is turned inside out.
This car went to Nascar's "lab shop" to determine why he was OK, and implement cage design in to future cars. Lots of design features of this car are still in use today, because of this accident.

Remember, Michael is over 6 ft tall, and he is inside this car!!! Unhurt!!! When the first track guys got to the wreck, one of them tried to stop the other from going any further. They are really the "rescue" guys. They are just track workers. You see him run around the car, because later he said he heard Michael in the car and knew he was alive. You have to watch to the end and see him after they get him out of the car.
To this day, IMO, this is the most un-survivable crash in Nascar history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzxcuV5rmA4

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Traction is always an issue,because it is on dirt or salt depending where you are at the drive tires are always spinning.So, you are never hooked up which creates a oversteer situation as you get faster you have air pushing harder against the front so that makes it worse.So you have the back of the car trying to go past the front of the car.the cars are not going as straight as they seem the track is 90 feet wide and in the past i have used most of it.It is better to let the car have its head so to speak instead of tyring to man handle in the middle of the track.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Traction is always an issue,because it is on dirt or salt depending where you are at the drive tires are always spinning.So, you are never hooked up which creates a oversteer situation as you get faster you have air pushing harder against the front so that makes it worse.So you have the back of the car trying to go past the front of the car.the cars are not going as straight as they seem the track is 90 feet wide and in the past i have used most of it.It is better to let the car have its head so to speak instead of tyring to man handle in the middle of the track.
I agree with Bville, there is really no traction at Bonneville. Last year we tried for a 150 mph run in my VW bug, we lost traction at the 1 mile mark, had too much air in the rears and the tires began to loose traction and sent the motor to the chip, just shut it off. Of the passes that I have done at Bonneville, you never go as straight as you think, as Bville said, you just let the front go and hopefully the back of the car follows!! We all take the risk of having this happen, this guy had all the right safety equipment and was lucky!!:D

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Isn't the car in this video front wheel drive? How does the ass come around when it's following the car so to speak? I'm wondering if something broke in the ass.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
That is a friend of a good friend of mine that is involved with the car.

Brian was lucky to survive. 200MPH pass, too late in the afternoon for that car.

Brian

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Isn't the car in this video front wheel drive? How does the ass come around when it's following the car so to speak? I'm wondering if something broke in the ass.
I was responding to flat footing in a general way of what happens most common.In this case I have no knowledge what happened.It could have been several things or a combination of them. most often you only see front wheel cars used at lower speeds.I never drove a front wheel car out there.But I would think that they would be very difficult to keep under you.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I don't know about unforeseen aero issues but without some kind of added down force things can get scary. Years ago i was on a check ride in a pantera...57 freeway before diamond
bar there used to be buckles in the concrete. I got some air under the car at close to 140 and i used up 3 lanes getting it squared away...The fix? 100lbs ballast in the nose. Yes, i did run it over that same chunk of road again and i was paid well to do it too.

And like was already posted, el-mirage is plenty bumpy, compared to the salt flats is almost 4wd time. Suspension is not your friend at that kind of speed.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
CNN feature...

CNN actually featured this guy this morning. Showed the video etc etc... The driver stated the accident took place at 178 after running 200.?? the day before... Really funny when the CNN interviewer made a comment about a "Hybrid" going that fast, (CNN's treehugger agenda), and was clearly disappointed when she was told the hybrid stuff was all removed and just the body was used because of it's AERO features... The driver also said that "most of the time" these land speed vehicles just spin flat to the ground, very seldom getting into the violent tumbling/flipping/rolling as this one did... And yes, I've seen several Bonneville vehicles go into spins, many, many spins, without flipping... BUT, those were on the salt flats...Not the dirt lake....
Ray

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.