Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I use to lubricate the bowl bearings? 90W gear oil or a good marine grease? Which would be better? I don't want to water lubricate because the river it will be run in is too silty I think. The water is always brown, especially in the spring, and it runs through a large portion of the state and picks up a lot of junk along the way. But if I did water lubricate, can it be done with a bowl stuffer installed? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
What should I use to lubricate the bowl bearings? 90W gear oil or a good marine grease? Which would be better? I don't want to water lubricate because the river it will be run in is too silty I think. The water is always brown, especially in the spring, and it runs through a large portion of the state and picks up a lot of junk along the way. But if I did water lubricate, can it be done with a bowl stuffer installed? Thank you.
Is this a Berkeley Jet? If so they call for 90wt oil. From their front page of their web site:

FAQ: What kind of oil do I use in the bowl of my Berkeley Jet Drive.
Answer: Straight 90 weight gear oil.

Also, it don't take much so a quart will last you a while. I think my C bowl took something like 4 or 5 oz, maybe a little more.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is a Berkeley 12-JC with an AB impeller. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
HJ Stay with oil or grease I have been told don't water lube with a Berk. bowl I have seen it first hand what will happen a new bowl will be in order! I know some guys have sugested it to you! Good luck! WT

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Any cheap gear oil (or) even a thick/heavy straight motor oil will be fine...reason > no "gears" inside, just two bushings and a shaft spinning through them.
Every couple trips out I'll simply flush out the oil in the bowl (hence using cheap lube), it only holds a few oz's.
*I don't like the idea of grease as it would seem not to flow between the shaft and bushings.

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
HJ Stay with oil or grease I have been told don't water lube with a Berk. bowl I have seen it first hand what will happen a new bowl will be in order! I know some guys have sugested it to you! Good luck! WT

Been doing it for 9 years;)

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
*I don't like the idea of grease as it would seem not to flow between the shaft and bushings.
Yep. That's what I was told by someone at MPD. On every jet they've worked on that had grease as a bowl lubricant, it was everywhere other than where it needed to be.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm gonna run oil in it. Easier to clean out too. Just spray a bunch of brake kleen inside. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts