Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this over at dragboatracing.com. Pretty interesting!!! Thanks Lucas Oils!!!!!!!!!!

In a joint effort between the Augusta, High Point, Marble Falls and San Diego promoters, Lucas Oil adds their own stimulus package.
The overall objective is to obtain commitment to field full classes of boat competitors for National Television, promoters, fans and sponsors.
Their package is a total of $64,000 between the four races divided into two groups, East coast and West Coast.
You must attend the Augusta and High Point races to qualify for the increase purse for the West Coast races which include Marble Falls and San Diego venues.

Here are the packages:
1. East Coast Swing – Packages include increased round money and first out money to lure full fields of 8 competitors in TFH, TAH and TAF. Package will also reward overall champion in the three classes for best combined points finish at Augusta and High Point – Investment $32,000

2. Western Swing – Same as above but will include Marble Falls and San Diego events – Investment $32,000
Payout as follows:
Top Fuel Hydro – ¼ Finals - $2500
Semi Finals - $3500
Runner-up - $5000
Champion - $7500
*Overall TFH Points Champion for Eastern Swing $10,000
* Overall TFH Points Champion for Western Swing $10,000
Top Alcohol Hydro - ¼ Finals - $400
Semi Finals - $1000
Runner-up - $2000
Champion - $4000
*Overall TAH Points Champion for Eastern Swing $5,000
* Overall TAH Points Champion for Western Swing $5,000
Top Alcohol Flat - ¼ finals - $400
Semi Finals - $750
Runner-up - $2000
Champion - $3500
*Overall TAF Points Champion for Eastern Swing $5,000
* Overall TAF Points Champion for Western Swing $5,000

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
nice lucas is stepping it up for motorsport! how did you do at smellsomemore

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice lucas is stepping it up for motorsport! how did you do at smellsomemore
We actually did pretty good. Boat ran like Horchata (chit) in high gear. Shot a bunch of ducks on the big end. Ran some personal best though!!! I'm going to eliminate most of the crap that's not necessary and keep things simple. She coming around though!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just found this over at dragboatracing.com. Pretty interesting!!! Thanks Lucas Oils!!!!!!!!!!

In a joint effort between the Augusta, High Point, Marble Falls and San Diego promoters, Lucas Oil adds their own stimulus package.
The overall objective is to obtain commitment to field full classes of boat competitors for National Television, promoters, fans and sponsors.
Their package is a total of $64,000 between the four races divided into two groups, East coast and West Coast.
You must attend the Augusta and High Point races to qualify for the increase purse for the West Coast races which include Marble Falls and San Diego venues.

Here are the packages:
1. East Coast Swing – Packages include increased round money and first out money to lure full fields of 8 competitors in TFH, TAH and TAF. Package will also reward overall champion in the three classes for best combined points finish at Augusta and High Point – Investment $32,000

2. Western Swing – Same as above but will include Marble Falls and San Diego events – Investment $32,000
Payout as follows:
Top Fuel Hydro – ¼ Finals - $2500
Semi Finals - $3500
Runner-up - $5000
Champion - $7500
*Overall TFH Points Champion for Eastern Swing $10,000
* Overall TFH Points Champion for Western Swing $10,000
Top Alcohol Hydro - ¼ Finals - $400
Semi Finals - $1000
Runner-up - $2000
Champion - $4000
*Overall TAH Points Champion for Eastern Swing $5,000
* Overall TAH Points Champion for Western Swing $5,000
Top Alcohol Flat - ¼ finals - $400
Semi Finals - $750
Runner-up - $2000
Champion - $3500
*Overall TAF Points Champion for Eastern Swing $5,000
* Overall TAF Points Champion for Western Swing $5,000

What is the big deal about this?? Lucus is just giving more to the guys that ALREADY get all the money!!!! If they want to improve the sport they should help out the sportsman racers!! Since we are the only reason that any association makes any money!!!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the big deal about this?? Lucus is just giving more to the guys that ALREADY get all the money!!!! If they want to improve the sport they should help out the sportsman racers!! Since we are the only reason that any association makes any money!!!
Well, they are the ones that bring the most fans but I'm probably wrong like usual. Just nice that someone is throwing money out there. in this day and age it's hard to come by. Don't get me wrong, I love watching sportsman races, even watch a bunch from the 90s this weekend but the big dogs are PM and above (well PUF and above);)..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dude, who are you kidding. I have nothing against the sportsman guys, we have alot of customers in those ranks, but when was the last time you spent $10-20 thousand dollars to run a weekend to race for maybe $6500.Its about time somebody starts to put some money in it, but its still got a long ways to go to.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Be thankful anybody is willing to put any money into dragboats; the returns are minimal at best and would anybody even go to a boat race that didn't have some pro boats?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Be thankful anybody is willing to put any money into dragboats; the returns are minimal at best and would anybody even go to a boat race that didn't have some pro boats?
Yes They would go.

All fuel boats might make 3 passes in a weekend WOW WHAT A JOKE!!!! In my opinion the fuel boats are just a waste of time!! Alky Flat and Hydro are a better show!! At least they can go down the track!!

The sportsman boats keep the fans there all day and get nothing!!!

We spent almost 50,000 to run two boats last year and my mom won the championship in SE and only got $300 bucks from IHBA!! (even bigger joke)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Dude, who are you kidding. I have nothing against the sportsman guys, we have alot of customers in those ranks, but when was the last time you spent $10-20 thousand dollars to run a weekend to race for maybe $6500.Its about time somebody starts to put some money in it, but its still got a long ways to go to.
It is NO different for the sportsman racer. Are returns are worse than it is for you guys. We have two races that we have to run for NO MONEY!!!!

·
adjones419
1,064 Posts
I've always seen both sides of this argument. We (bracket guys) need the fast boats to bring in spectators and promoters. You (pro guys) need the bracket guys to fill the gaps unless we want the spectators sitting around for hours. Or, what about implementing a mandatory turn-around time like NHRA? I know those guys don't get paid by the sanctioning bodies to show up to maybe make a couple of 1/8 mile passes, crash into the timing lights and hold up the show, or have to get pulled off of the starting line because their engine doesn't fire.

Can a race be held without pro boats? Yes. It is done every year here in the Midwest at multiple sites with multiple organizations. By the way, PM is not a pro boat, it is a bracket boat with a capsule. Can a race be held without bracket boats? I've never seen it done, so I would have to say no.

It truly amazes me when guys get on the Internet to piss and moan about how much it costs to run their boat. If you complain that X class is so expensive to run, why don't you change to another class? I'm guessing that someone who races TFH has a larger income than someone who races PE or TE or any other bracket class, so you have to look at it in terms of proportions.

I'll probably get hammered on this one, but that's alright. All of this bullshit about pro vs. bracket, and we all wonder why drag boat racing is stuck in the 1980's. Does Lucas Oil deserve recognition for trying to help promote the sport? Damn right! Is it going to revive drag boat racing as we know it? I sure hope so, and only time will tell.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yes They would go.
And which race would this be? Compared to Firebird, Marble Falls and Red Bluff I can't think of a bracket only race with those numbers.

All fuel boats might make 3 passes in a weekend WOW WHAT A JOKE!!!! In my opinion the fuel boats are just a waste of time!! Alky Flat and Hydro are a better show!! At least they can go down the track!!

We spent almost 50,000 to run two boats last year and my mom won the championship in SE and only got $300 bucks from IHBA!! (even bigger joke)
As much as you may disagree with Lucas I would say they are far more calculating in their business than most any boat racer. When they factor the greatest amount of RETURN for their investment they do more than try to act benevolent with their money. They KNOW the pros draw more people to the races/TV that are prone to buy their product and hence make money. If the bracket guys were capable of doing this the same or better then we would get the investment dollars. We don't, and that fact should tell you who is more willing to watch what.

TFH can burn through 50,000 in a bad weekend.. Seems like Tedesco comes close sometimes.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
lester, the big deal is that a major corporation is investing and promoting the sport accross the country as a business investment. not just one or two races. like it or not, the pro boats make the show that brings in the sponsors/advertisers (and spectators). the exposure necessary to bring in the large advertising dollars won't happen overnight. i think it's great what lucas is doing. it may not immediately filter down to us sportsmen, but the potential is a heckuva lot better than it's ever been.

kurtis500 said:
As much as you may disagree with Lucas I would say they are far more calculating in their business than most any boat racer. When they factor the greatest amount of RETURN for their investment they do more than try to act benevolent with their money. They KNOW the pros draw more people to the races/TV that are prone to buy their product and hence make money. If the bracket guys were capable of doing this the same or better then we would get the investment dollars. We don't, and that fact should tell you who is more willing to watch what.
sportsmen racing CAN draw very well. sitc has proven that, but it is a very unique deal taking a different approach than anyone else has (yes, ok is trying the same thing, but glen came up with it and ran with it). even lucas would be impressed if they visited that race. think about the brand new super eliminator deal njba started - there's no telling how high the potential for that is; it's already drawing way more participants than any other class, and it's close competition, which is a "must" in sportsmen racing if anyone is going to watch it.

·
Registered
979 Posts

Lester, you really woke someone up!!!

·
Registered
683 Posts
lester, the big deal is that a major corporation is investing and promoting the sport accross the country as a business investment. not just one or two races. like it or not, the pro boats make the show that brings in the sponsors/advertisers (and spectators). the exposure necessary to bring in the large advertising dollars won't happen overnight. i think it's great what lucas is doing. it may not immediately filter down to us sportsmen, but the potential is a heckuva lot better than it's ever been.

sportsmen racing CAN draw very well. sitc has proven that, but it is a very unique deal taking a different approach than anyone else has (yes, ok is trying the same thing, but glen came up with it and ran with it). even lucas would be impressed if they visited that race. think about the brand new super eliminator deal njba started - there's no telling how high the potential for that is; it's already drawing way more participants than any other class, and it's close competition, which is a "must" in sportsmen racing if anyone is going to watch it.
I agree with you. As a bracket racer myself (two boats) I would love to see more $ in our classes. Problem is when I put on the business hat there must be a return for my investment. If I parallel drag racing on asphalt to the boats I can simply look at the attendance of an NHRA divisional event *heres the key word* COMPARED to the national events. The difference between the two is the three pro classes. The same goes in our sport. I've lived in Phoenix my whole life and been to firebird since it opened. Many people here have been to the races at least once and their comment is always the same. Top fuel was their favorite and the most memorable. Lucas knows this and sends the money their way.

Smokin in the Cove is definitely a good race even though I've never been. (I'd love to go). For a corporation that needs to reach the broadest spectrum a one race deal may not be their pick.

I'm putting together a late model blown injected alcohol KB motor now. I priced out some of the components for the latest TAH motors and it is ridiculously expensive compared to a pro-mod motor. Many different parts and abuses go with those engines. Of course top fuel is way beyond that, I'm sure if performance plus had time he could list maybe half of the costs for each race. Then add extra bullets and haulers to get it around???? Way beyond normal bracket boat budget racing. For that kind of investment I'll cheer them on if they get more money..

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes They would go.

I was a bracket racer for years but it's clear as to who the crowd is there to see. Watch how the stands clear out when the pro boats are done, kind of like the asphalt drags. There is no way the average fan will be turned on by 120 mph pass after watching 200+mph hydros and 150+mph flats, Even the 7 sec. bracket is boring after watching the pro boats. Hell, I'd rather watch K boats. It takes everybody to put on a show but the big boys deserve the $$$. Kind of like buying a concert ticket and the opening act being a bonus. I'm just happy there are still people racing in any class so my old boat racing friends have an excuse to get together now and again. Good luck to you and your team.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts