Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who uses the stuff ???? Its the same price as Mobil 1 right now and I'm due for a oil change, can't afford the $12 a quart Redline so was wondering if any of you have used the stuff w/ good results? Thanks

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
You can get redline for about 8 bucks a quart..

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can get redline for about 8 bucks a quart..
??????? If I could get Redline for $8 a quart I wouldn't bother w/ Lucas or Mobil 1. Lucas oil is on sale....Lucas oil.;)

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Royal Purple is at Pep Boys for about $ 7.00 very good price and a very good product. IMO :D

You changed the oil on the dyno, how many times have you had it out ? or how many hours ? Or is it dirty ?

Sleeper CP :D

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Broke the motor in and then I swapped it out on the dyno to Mobil 1 10w 30 syn. Ran the boat pretty hard at the lake testing, then took it to the river for the weekend. I cut open the filter the other day and it was kind of dirty, not bad by any means but I'm going back out for 7days and would rather have fresh oil/filter because I plan on footing it and testing hardware during the week when nobody is on the water.

Ever ran the Lucas stuff ?? I know your a big fan of Mobil 1, what weight to you run, and how often do you swap it ? You making it to the CP deal next weekend ? We might have to have a Ford pair off !:D

·
Registered
974 Posts
Broke the motor in and then I swapped it out on the dyno to Mobil 1 10w 30 syn. Ran the boat pretty hard at the lake testing, then took it to the river for the weekend. I cut open the filter the other day and it was kind of dirty, not bad by any means but I'm going back out for 7days and would rather have fresh oil/filter because I plan on footing it and testing hardware during the week when nobody is on the water.

Ever ran the Lucas stuff ?? I know your a big fan of Mobil 1, what weight to you run, and how often do you swap it ? You making it to the CP deal next weekend ? We might have to have a Ford pair off !:D
how did the cutter work and when do i get it back, hahah?

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
I have only run the Lucas Oil stabilizer.

Someone here will know the answer(it's skipping my memory right now) I ended up using the Royal Purple 15-40 this last time out after the dyno because all the Mobil One had the new (SM) (?) rating or whatever it is that is stripped of all the zinc and other properties that the engine's like. May be with a roller cam it's not that big of a deal but I decided to play it safe. If someone else doesn't post it I'll find the rating info.

I usally run 20-50, but this time ran the 15-40 noticed a little oil pressure drop once it gets hot 185+. It will stay in this yr and next year I'll go back to 20-50, it ran about 7-10 psi more, but I have different bearing clearances now, so I don't know what the 20-50 will do.

Unless I had a major screwup the Mobil-1 would stay in all season. We run an oil cooler but we always make sure to get the oil to temp 205-220 a few times on the weekend. It burns out the water (condensation) in the oil. Make sure you get your oil over 205-215 to burn the water out of it every now and then.

Yes, we plan on being at the Regatta in two weeks. I have a little bit of testing to do this week. See ya there.

I want you to worry about "Sawing off" a few Chevy's before you come looking for another Ford. But the family stationwagon is always game ;)

Sleeper CP

Jon :D

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Wow Wayne that's a great price on the Red Line.. just buy it by the gallon and save even more.

On the Mobil One or other oil I was told to stay away from the "SM" rated oil to use a "SJ" or "SL" oil.

I really don't know if it matters much on a roller cam engine :)bulb Does anyone know ?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
You know sleeper I'm not to sure. I've heard the same thing about flat tappets due to the fact that off the shelf oils don't add phosphorous or zinc anymore like you said and racing oils still have some!! I figured if Pro Stock and just about every other Pro class runs it then it must work!!:D I've talked to a couple TAH guys and they said they can get more bearing life than what they used to get with the other oils!! They both sell break in oil additive so I guess it doesn't hurt to be a little on the safe side!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Learn a little about oils from home

You wanna learn a little about what oil to run in your boats Check out this website called www.bobistheoilguy.com. Check out Schaeffer oil. Gain some hps and extend engine life and it wont break the bank.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Royal Purple is at Pep Boys for about $ 7.00 very good price and a very good product. IMO :D

You changed the oil on the dyno, how many times have you had it out ? or how many hours ? Or is it dirty ?

Only syn I run....its the TITS.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Wow Wayne that's a great price on the Red Line.. just buy it by the gallon and save even more.

On the Mobil One or other oil I was told to stay away from the "SM" rated oil to use a "SJ" or "SL" oil.

I really don't know if it matters much on a roller cam engine :)bulb Does anyone know ?

It doesnt matter with roller cams.Sweepco oil still has a large amount of zink and joe gibbs oil.The cheapest way if you have a flat tappet run any oil add buy comp cams zink additive.I buy it in cases and use it in break in and sell the customer a couple bottles and tell them next oil change use half the bottle on every change.Have not lost a cam in 3 years.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
dont buy the royal purple from the chain autoparts stores. its not the racing oil and has less zinc than the royal purple racing oil. ive been running Lucas synthetic this season and so far i like it. i beat my motor like it owes me money and the lucas tends to hold up well even when running long distances with no oil cooler.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Anybody had any issues running a roller cam and sythentic oil, and having the rollers not roll, but slide instead?

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
Anybody had any issues running a roller cam and sythentic oil, and having the rollers not roll, but slide instead?
They claimed the same thing in Harley's for years, that is why it wasn't recomended. Now they sell full synthetic oil so....................
I wouldn't run anything but synthetic regardless of cam type.
IMHO ;)

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
They claimed the same thing in Harley's for years, that is why it wasn't recomended. Now they sell full synthetic oil so....................
I wouldn't run anything but synthetic regardless of cam type.
IMHO ;)
warp the peeps that claimed that about harleys were idiots;)me and my ole man have had harleys for years,dad about 40 years.

we only run amsoil in our harley motors new or old style,fully syn.:D

my brother runs lucas syn not in his boat but bike and he loves it.

we run mobli 1 in both of our boat motors had good luck.

a friend of mine runs lucas in his 505bbc and swears by it but he lies alot:)sphss:)sphss:)sphss

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
you couldn't pay me to run the lucas oil stabilizer in my boat. that shiat is sticky as hell, webs off the crank and rods. why would anyone want that? isn't the name of the game to keep the oil in the pan and off the rotating assembly;) if someone thinks i'm full of it, check out those lil crank/gear lucas displays in the parts stores, then ask yourself what it'd look like as it slings off the crank:)bulb

1 - 20 of 31 Posts