Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered Autolite 2593 plugs for my engine and what I got was Autolite AR2593 plugs (Autolite Racing). I will be running a mag and I was wondering how I'm going to properly set the plug gap, then I wondered the same thing even if I wasn't going to use a mag. Maybe I'm overthinking again but I'm stumped (again). Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
We use to cut ours like that and gap it like you would any other plug for the most part. Your just gapping from the electrode to the strap. They just won't last as long.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
.020 from the center of the plug to the strap.
We run .018 with the old Vertex and never fail to fire right up......I just use a .018 feeler gage and lay it flat on the electrode........and set the strap to a slight resistance when sliding in and out. Be sure to index the strap away from the piston to eliminate any possible contact and to assist flame travel. ( I don't necessarily buy into the flame travel part, but it is what I've been told.......).......Ray

PS as far as lasting, we're on the the third season with a set of Autolite Racing plugs. The last set, the old school type, lasted 15 years. They were still working just fine, but an engine explosion destroyed 2 of them, so I replaced the set.........

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
.016-.018 Depending on the motor tune. If points .035. If electronic whatever the distributor manufacture recommends. Also curious as to what head you are running with that plug.M

·
Some guy
3,619 Posts
Pro Comp aluminum heads
Have you tried to install one of those into the head? You may end up needing a 39 series plug, 3924, 3923 are cheap "street" plugs(available at Autozone), 3911 and 3910 are "racing" numbers. They all are .750" reach, gasket seat 14mm plugs with the smaller 5/8" hex.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've been running .020. I just opened it up to .025 w/ the new MSD mag. Been running 33* plug says it wants a little bit more, gonna try 36* and fatten up the top end. I'll let you live in my boat if you bring the Zommies.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you tried to install one of those into the head? You may end up needing a 39 series plug, 3924, 3923 are cheap "street" plugs(available at Autozone), 3911 and 3910 are "racing" numbers. They all are .750" reach, gasket seat 14mm plugs with the smaller 5/8" hex.
:)hammers Yea, you're right, 2 steps forward and three steps back. They don't fit. The hex is too big, I can't put a socket on them to tighten the plugs.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been running .020. I just opened it up to .025 w/ the new MSD mag. Been running 33* plug says it wants a little bit more, gonna try 36* and fatten up the top end. I'll let you live in my boat if you bring the Zommies.
You can take that brand new MSD mag and ... :D

Hi Terry, I'd have to at least stay in your Chevy for those zoomies. LOL

·
Some guy
3,619 Posts
:)hammers Yea, you're right, 2 steps forward and three steps back. They don't fit. The hex is too big, I can't put a socket on them to tighten the plugs.
The "racing" plugs were like $4.50 each, and the 3923 or 3924 are easy to get, less than $20 for a set of 8. Don't know what engine, compression, etc you have, but maybe just get a set of the 3923.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Any special reason you chose an autolite over an ngk? Here in the snow autolites are not that common. Special order actualy.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The "racing" plugs were like $4.50 each, and the 3923 or 3924 are easy to get, less than $20 for a set of 8. Don't know what engine, compression, etc you have, but maybe just get a set of the 3923.
I got the racing plugs completely by accident, it was a parts house mix up. I paid the same price as "normal" Autolite's are priced.

For Sale, set of 8 brand new Autolite Racing... :D

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any special reason you chose an autolite over an ngk? Here in the snow autolites are not that common. Special order actualy.
The guy that put my engine together said for me to get Autolite's or NGK's, my carb guy said to get Autolite's. So I bought the wrong Autolite's. :)sphss

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why are you running a Mag in the first place??
Because they are simple, because there isn't a MSD box or a Unilite pick-up to fail, because a good friend of mine has run a mag for 20 years without any failures, and because they look cool.

I'm probably going to catch some heat for the last one, lol. :(:(

·
Distinguished Member
5,775 Posts
Because they are simple, because there isn't a MSD box or a Unilite pick-up to fail, because a good friend of mine has run a mag for 20 years without any failures, and because they look cool.
:(:(
You forgot to add that mags make way more HP than MSD's..... :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts