Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Vertex mag (built-in transformer) that I have is supposed to have 12 degree's of advancement. I saw on a website for mag's that it appeared to me that you can only get Vertex mags with 0 degrre, 6 degree, or 12 degree advance mechanism's.

This is what my mag is doing:
RPM = timing is at
1200 RPM = 13 degree
2200 RPM = 23 degree
4500 RPM = 34 degree

Is my mag AFU or???

How can I lock out a Vertex mag? Special tools?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The Vertex mag (built-in transformer) that I have is supposed to have 12 degree's of advancement. I saw on a website for mag's that it appeared to me that you can only get Vertex mags with 0 degrre, 6 degree, or 12 degree advance mechanism's.

RPM = timing is at
1200 RPM = 13 degree
2200 RPM = 23 degree
4500 RPM = 34 degree

Is my mag AFU or???

How can I lock out a Vertex mag? Special tools?

Thanks!
my Vertex is locked out at 12*...i didnt know how to install it, so i called Joe Hunt Magneto's & he told me to bring the motor up to 10* before TDC and install it faceing #1 cyl & its good to go...u might give him a call & see if it applies to ur application...his # is: 916-635-5387...he is located in Rancho Cordova...i hope this might help :)

FastRat

·
Registered
3,869 Posts

RPM = timing is at
1200 RPM = 13 degree
2200 RPM = 23 degree
4500 RPM = 34 degree

Is my mag AFU or???

Thanks!
Hey hot rod. Drop the mag in and fire, set at whatever max timing you want and run it. M

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey hot rod. Drop the mag in and fire, set at whatever max timing you want and run it. M
I wanted 38 total but the flames shooting out the header scared me... so I dropped it down to 34 total and the flames are very few and very far between.

???

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I wanted 38 total but the flames shooting out the header scared me... so I dropped it down to 34 total and the flames are very few and very far between.

???
Man I wish you lived closer. The flames could be an assortment of things. As your'e original post stated "air feul ?" think about the plenum size and the amount of throttle being given. Personally I would lock the mag at 38 total and hit the water. I have same popping problems in boats and cars before and get the load on and they will pull like a sob. (not sorry ol bob).M

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Also as I just looked at the other site. 87 is a fine jet to start with but the 31 squirter is way small. 35 or even better a 37 will wake her up and kill the popping. Again set the mag at 38 total and put big block squirters in. If you have a hard-on to test tonite drill to .035 on the squirters and retest. Hell I have gone bigger than that on a single top just to lose the throttle crack bog. M

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
my Vertex is locked out at 12*...i didnt know how to install it, so i called Joe Hunt Magneto's & he told me to bring the motor up to 10* before TDC and install it faceing #1 cyl & its good to go...u might give him a call & see if it applies to ur application...his # is: 916-635-5387...he is located in Rancho Cordova...i hope this might help :)

FastRat
I called the phone number and left a message. I probably will need to wait for Monday on this one. Thanks, Rod.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts

???
If it is popping on decel, not that big of a deal. If its popping on accel big problem. Let me know. M

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Lcoked out?

FastRat
Locked out means ZERO advance, ZERO. If your mag has 12* of advance in it, it is not locked out, it has a 12* "curve" in it. When the timing is "all in" depends on weights and springs, and this curve CAN and WILL affect performance.

If you want 38 degrees total advance, run the motor up to 4K or so, (timing should be all in by then), and set the timing at 38*, and then make a note of where the initial is at idle. This way, next time you'll know where to set the initial at idle and still get your 38 total.......But you'll still need some more research to determine the curve.......MP

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Best bet is to get it locked out. That does not create a problem for a blown motor, because they normally have low static compression. A NA motor with high static compression needs the curve (less initial timing) to help it turn the engine over during startup.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Best bet is to get it locked out. That does not create a problem for a blown motor, because they normally have low static compression. A NA motor with high static compression needs the curve (less initial timing) to help it turn the engine over during startup.
The engine is N/A.

This crazy long curve is giving me headaches for sure. I'm going to call a some mag companies until I find out what I need to know. Is my mag AFU, can I lock it out at home, or do I need special knowledge and/or tools?

Lots of info posted today and I learned a little in the garage, but I have to go out to dinner now. It's my b-day. :D

Thanks

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
What?

The engine is N/A.

This crazy long curve is giving me headaches for sure. I'm going to call a some mag companies until I find out what I need to know. Is my mag AFU, can I lock it out at home, or do I need special knowledge and/or tools?

Lots of info posted today and I learned a little in the garage, but I have to go out to dinner now. It's my b-day. :D

Thanks
What do you mean "I have to go out to dinner now".:)st.......You don't need to eat, and the anniversary of your birth day will come again next year. You NEED to work on the boat. Get some fast food take out, spread it on the boat deck, and eat between tasks on the boat.....Stick a damn candle in a cupcake, sing the birthday song, and get back to work on the boat......You HAVE to go out to dinner?? What a weak suck excuse. :(:(

MP

PS, Happy birthday......:)hand

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
What do you mean "I have to go out to dinner now".:)st.......You don't need to eat, and the anniversary of your birth day will come again next year. You NEED to work on the boat. Get some fast food take out, spread it on the boat deck, and eat between tasks on the boat.....Stick a damn candle in a cupcake, sing the birthday song, and get back to work on the boat......You HAVE to go out to dinner?? What a weak suck excuse. :(:(

MP

PS, Happy birthday......:)hand
Man that is some cold sh#t. The family is going to take him out, Have a good dinner and with alittle luck come home and get alittle.Boats don't have hearts. Just I WANTS, happy b-day dude and enjoy the nite. M

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for the b-day wishes.

I called Don Zig Magneto's and I called Joe Hunt Mageneto's this morning. They are both very helpfull companies. :)devil A 12 degree mag will give 24 degree's of advance at the crankshaft because the crankshaft spins twice as fast as the mag. :D That was good to know info because that meant there was nothing wrong with my mag. This afternoon I took my mag apart. There are special nuts that hold the mag's body to the mag's drive. I made a special tool out of needle nose pliers and it got the job done. There are a lot of weights in the base of the mag. There are also two springs inside the base of the mag. The springs are shaped/work like carb float springs. I removed all of the weights and the springs. I had an idea in my head of what the part should look like to replace all of the weights and springs to lock out my mag. Then a friend showed up. He said I should look on the web to see if anyone shows a picture of the part I'm trying to make. So we did and they do. I think it was on Joe Hunt's website. The parts was around $16. They had a $25 mininum. By the time I added the $25 and overnight shipping it was cost prhibitive for me (broke azz). So then my friend said to go to a machine shop to see how much they'll charge to make it, because if it's cheap it would be worth it. I said it would be cool if we could get it water cut. He told me where a water cut place was and $15 later I walked out with 2 of them. :)devil Put the mag back together, worked like a champ. 13:1 compression, stock iron nosed Chevy starter, timing is set at 36, mag is locked at 0, absolutely zero problems getting it to start. :)devil

Here's a pic of the pic on the web and a pic of the part I had made out of aluminum next to it.

Coinceidently, the reason you see 2 in the pic of the pic, is because if you want a 6 degree mag you use one "spacer", 2 springs, and some weights.

Attachments

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
So no more Flames ? , or will that be on the other thread ?

Sleeper CP :D

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Thanks for the b-day wishes.
Put the mag back together, worked like a champ, timing is locked at 36. 13:1 compression, stock iron nosed Chevy starter, timing locked at 36, absolutely zero problems getting it to start. :)devil
Timing is SET at 36 (initial). Mag timing is LOCKED out @ ZERO. Total all the time is 36, period........Ray

1 - 20 of 26 Posts