Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mag on my boat that hooks up to a mag signal converter then to the tach. I just bought a new tach (old one didnt work). it starts off at the right RPM (for about 5-10 secs) then it starts moving up in RPMs then just dances all over. Is the tach set wrong or is the mag interfering with the signal?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I have a mag on my boat that hooks up to a mag signal converter then to the tach. I just bought a new tach (old one didnt work). it starts off at the right RPM (for about 5-10 secs) then it starts moving up in RPMs then just dances all over. Is the tach set wrong or is the mag interfering with the signal?
Whos mag and who signal converter. If MSD, what part number.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I've been running mags for a long time and have tried atleast 3 different times to make the MSD & Autometer converters work without any success. I have one of the last mag tachs that autometer had on the shelf and dread the day it quits.
This is the only alternative that I am aware of at this time.
Tach Parts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Tin foil hat....

Try wrapping the converter box in tin foil. I was told those converters pick up ignition "noise" in the air.... It didn't work the only time I tried it, maybe the foil was too thin.... But that was Autometer's suggestion...
I was un aware that Autometer quit selling "mag" tachs???

Ray

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe Hunt mag to an original suntach signal converter

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and now that i post that picture i think i might know why. Duh! gotta adjust the screw!!!

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Try wrapping the converter box in tin foil. I was told those converters pick up ignition "noise" in the air.... It didn't work the only time I tried it, maybe the foil was too thin.... But that was Autometer's suggestion...
I was un aware that Autometer quit selling "mag" tachs???

Ray
Yes , 5-6 yrs ago when I bought the recall tach for the mag in my boat the Tech from autometer told me that I was lucky to get it as they werent going to build them any longer and the one he was selling me was his last one. He said that there was some component in them that was just to expensive to build.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Joe Hunt mag to an original suntach signal converter

WOW!!!!! Where did you get THAT!!! I haven't seen one of those in 40 years.

THAT IS NOT A MAG SIGNAL CONVERTER!!!!!!!!!!!

Its signal box for a 60's Sun tach. In the olden days, tachs like the Sun required a seperate signal box to work. That box is useless for anything other than driving a Sun tach from a mag. If you're trying to run a modern tach with that box from a mag, it will not work. If you're trying to drive a Autometer tach, you need Autometer part # 9118

If you ever run across a tach that looks like this, you have a converter drive box. The tach is useless without one, and the box is useless without the tach. This one is for a 12V ignition system, but the tach is the same. Only the signal box changed.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
WOW!!!!! Where did you get THAT!!! I haven't seen one of those in 40 years.
Correction... THOSE.

Apparently he has a couple. One with a red tag and one with a yellow tag. By the looks of them, I'd say they're a product of the 1950's-early 60's. Reminds me of my dads American Flier train set transformer.

Funny that the solution may have been as easy as reading the bold print on the unit. LOL We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Yes , 5-6 yrs ago when I bought the recall tach for the mag in my boat the Tech from autometer told me that I was lucky to get it as they werent going to build them any longer and the one he was selling me was his last one. He said that there was some component in them that was just to expensive to build.
when i first bought the sw 17 years ago, it had a autometer recall tach that worked just fine with the vertex mag that was on the engine. when i converted over to msd about 20 minutes after i got the boat, i sent the tach to autometer and they converted it to a "normal" tach. tach still works fine with msd. i would think they could convert it back if a person wanted them to.
and the vertex is still in a box under the bench... best place for it...:happy:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Correction... THOSE.

Apparently he has a couple. One with a red tag and one with a yellow tag. By the looks of them, I'd say they're a product of the 1950's-early 60's. Reminds me of my dads American Flier train set transformer.

Funny that the solution may have been as easy as reading the bold print on the unit. LOL We'll see I guess.
Not real observant there Budweiser. I believe thats the same box, and the lighting makes it look different colors. Unless both boxes have an identicle rust makings on the signal trim srew.

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Not real observant there Budweiser. I believe thats the same box, and the lighting makes it look different colors. Unless both boxes have an identicle rust makings on the signal trim srew.
Ah hah! Right you are... AGAIN. :duh:

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
when i first bought the sw 17 years ago, it had a autometer recall tach that worked just fine with the vertex mag that was on the engine. when i converted over to msd about 20 minutes after i got the boat, i sent the tach to autometer and they converted it to a "normal" tach. tach still works fine with msd. i would think they could convert it back if a person wanted them to.
and the vertex is still in a box under the bench... best place for it...:happy:
I'll take it off your hands if you think its of no use to anyone.:happy:

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
shouldn't this stuff be in a museum??? I know the Wally Parks Museum is always looking for vintage, outdated, rare, old racing stuff that nobody in their right mind would still be using........:)hand

:t_lowblow:

Andrew

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
shouldn't this stuff be in a museum??? I know the Wally Parks Museum is always looking for vintage, outdated, rare, old racing stuff that nobody in their right mind would still be using........:)hand

:t_lowblow:

Andrew
Are you kiddin? Were still wearing them out outrunning the hell out of you noobs that havent got as clue yet.:asshole2:

Besides, if they had such a museum they would have to put both of these BOB's in there, LMAO hil:)

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I think ap was refering to the Sun Tach Transmitter.

But the post does fit mags just as well. I can understand how the OP would be a little confused. You would think an out dated ignition like a mag would require something as old as that transmitter to work. And it does. He simply needs a 50 year old tach to go along with it.
Tach and mags were not originally intended to be used together. When mags were first used, you count count the revolutions just by watching the propeller.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I think ap was refering to the Sun Tach Transmitter.

But the post does fit mags just as well. I can understand how the OP would be a little confused. You would think an out dated ignition like a mag would require something as old as that transmitter to work. And it does. He simply needs a 50 year old tach to go along with it.
Tach and mags were not originally intended to be used together. When mags were first used, you count count the revolutions just by watching the propeller.

oh I was talking about everything in this thread! but seeing that sun tach transmitter with the flathead screw you adjust for smoothing....geez...that just reminds me of movies in black and white where they are constantly adjusting the radio just to make it understandable! as long as the static is manageable its good enough! :))ThumbsDwn

you do realize we now have HD radio, HD 3D TV, and devices the size of a Wheat Thin that will practically hold every song ever written???

Pretty sure there are better options out there for ignition control also....AND with a working tach! :duh:

I'm not all about bashing though...I happen to run across this little thread/discussion on efi systems, ignition systems, coil on plug, crank sensors and how ignition precision has such an effect on power. Very interesting read....well it is to me! I personally have always hated the MSD 4-1 magnetic crank trigger for this exact reason. ENJOY! BTW I don't see this as a thread jack.....more like an intervention! :happy::)grn

Can one EFI box make "more power" than another, all else being equal??

Andrew

1 - 20 of 48 Posts