Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to talk about the pros and cons or should we wait for another day?:D

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts
Two mags failed at the enduro. Two MSDs failed as well,.... IN THE SAME BOAT!!!
Heard the guys with the "mag failures" actually had other issues. They just told you it was their mags to make you feel better. :D Just what I heard :)hand

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
No! They both came in and changed transformers.Something else nocked them out of the race. The 22 went out with a broken prop, the 24 went out with a broken V drive. Went replaced the MSD with a mag(really I did) and it knocked us out. Truthfully, that was my fault, not the mags. The point is, 2 magas failed at the enduro. A few more thru the season as well. We never lost an MSD during the season.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heard the guys with the "mag failures" actually had other issues. They just told you it was their mags to make you feel better. :D Just what I heard :)hand
LMAOhil:) Look on the bright side Bob, your engine didnt run long enough to......;)

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No! They both came in and changed transformers.Something else nocked them out of the race. The 22 went out with a broken prop, the 24 went out with a broken V drive. Went replaced the MSD with a mag(really I did) and it knocked us out. Truthfully, that was my fault, not the mags. The point is, 2 magas failed at the enduro. A few more thru the season as well. We never lost an MSD during the season.
Kill switches, battery cables...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
We lost a transformer at Burley. Mallory Mag V w/ 28900 transformer. The problem was a bad plug wire ( loose end from MSD ) .

They act like a HEI, if it can't send the spark to the plugs, it backs up into the ign system ?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
LMAOhil:) Look on the bright side Bob, your engine didnt run long enough to......;)
OH but it did. It would probably lasted all day on the MSDs. It was the same motor we have run for the past 2 seasons. But it so bad now I am actually afraid to look at it right now. But I bet its bad. Like I said not the magfs fault but mine. Sent the boat out with the timing a mile off.
Kill switches, battery cables...
Battery connection. Loose as hell. It would miss fire when it hit some rollers. Finally blew the fuses inside the MSD.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts
Dang Paul, that was harsh!!! :)st We better take it easy on Bob, he's had a rough week ;) Of course HE got to go to the 300 and I was stuck at home putting a Lenco clutch back together..... so nevermind!!!

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I can think of something positive to say about mags that I've heard others say,
"They're simple, they only have one wire" hil:)

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
mags ---- Everything great is in a mag .. playboy bunnies , Car parts ect ecte .. Ohh and they work - The transformers may fail but that aint the mags fault .

·
Registered
221 Posts
Magneto vs something else - not shocking news

Sirs and others that might be interested in this stuff,

Magnetos have been around a very long time and modern mags are better than old stuff but many things still remain the same. They are typically limited in the amount of spark energy available.:)bulb

A typical magneto fires 4 plugs in positive polarity and 4 plugs in negative polarity. Without beating that pony to death not all plugs get the same level of spark energy (4 are down about 25+%) from the git-go. Just the nature of the the magneto critter.:)bulb

IF you have to have a battery on board anyway and IF you have the courage to run an alternator (for distance events) then running a modern type CD (capacitive discharge) ignition is much more forgiving than the lower spark energy levels of a magneto.;)

There is much more that could be compared in an A vs B outline format, but it takes too much effort to do so.....

For blown fuel applications, the MSD mags are probably superior.:)grn

For almost anything else, I highly recommend MSD ignition stuff for the electrical energy at the plugs.:|err

Regards to All,
IG:)

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
Next they wil be telling you you have your hat on backwards :D

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
Has anyone done any track testing between the two or even a dyno session? I have ran mags in the past and loved them however right now I have full MSD. I also run a battery and an alternator.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have an A and B comparison. 555 chevy, 8/71 littlefield standard helix. birdcatcher on alky. Anywhere from 10 to 20 pounds boost guessing. Drag race only.
A. Msd 7AL-2, msd pro billet dizzy, hvc2 coil (already have this) or
B. Msd Pro Mag 12
Pros, cons.... which better for this application and why

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Sirs and others that might be interested in this stuff,

Magnetos have been around a very long time and modern mags are better than old stuff but many things still remain the same. They are typically limited in the amount of spark energy available.:)bulb

A typical magneto fires 4 plugs in positive polarity and 4 plugs in negative polarity. Without beating that pony to death not all plugs get the same level of spark energy (4 are down about 25+%) from the git-go. Just the nature of the the magneto critter.:)bulb

IF you have to have a battery on board anyway and IF you have the courage to run an alternator (for distance events) then running a modern type CD (capacitive discharge) ignition is much more forgiving than the lower spark energy levels of a magneto.;)

There is much more that could be compared in an A vs B outline format, but it takes too much effort to do so.....

For blown fuel applications, the MSD mags are probably superior.:)grn

For almost anything else, I highly recommend MSD ignition stuff for the electrical energy at the plugs.:|err

Regards to All,
Your trying to sell cognac to a bunch of beer guzzlers. The big issuse around here seems to be the failure rate of the MSD vs the Mag. HP is of no importance. :)sphss In the time I have kept track at the events I have attended, they are pretty equal in the reliability department.

·
Registered
221 Posts
A vs B ignition shuffle

Mr Cole and others that might be interested in this stuff,

Since you have both setups, you could do your own testing and decide for yourself.

IF it is for racing only, your ProMag would probably be a good choice as there is less to check out in a panic although I prefer the battery powered stuff, they have more parts in the puzzle.:)coffee

IF you choose to try the MSD 7AL-2, I would suggest that you mount the ignition amplifier at about belly button high on proper vibration mounts with the box mounted in the fore and aft direction keeping the coil wire as short as possible and no longer than 18" max. You also want to be sure the distributor you choose to use is properly indexed so that the rotor is properly phased. With a blown rig, gap the plugs to .025". Be sure you have good plug wires (radially wound monel around the core is best particularly if you have any electronics on the boat).:)bulb

IF you are going to just cruise with an occasional drag it out session or three, I would choose the battery powered unit as it is much more forgiving of low speed rich idle programs.;)

I recently rebuilt an old Vertex mag for a nostalgia guy and I run in everything on a machine and laugh every time I run up a mag because I do a lot of distributors with MSDs too - there is no comparison of the spark energy.:)grn

That's my conclusion for the night.:|err

Regards to All,

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Hey IG...you must know Lesley Long. ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts