Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an actual bad story to tell??
not "I had a buddy that said" kind of story

I can get some of their stuff for a pretty good deal but never ran any of it before

Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably a 496 or 540, 12ish comp. little bit of NOS, jetboat. Lots of tubing, cruising, very little hauling ass

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Either one will fill your needs. What's easiest for you to get? Malory may have more choices which can be a benefit. With 12-1, are you running e85??

Darrell.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always used MSD and had great success, just wanting to try something different and a part supplier is offering some great deals on the Mallory and Pertronix.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I've used both and had great success. I have nothing bad to say about them, I would use them again. The only reason I am using an msd right now is because it came on the boat when I bought it. I actually am considering going back to a unilite with the promaster coil. Good luck!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im actually looking at the Pertronix race HEI and be done with it. This boat is not gonna spin above 5400-5500

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have had flawless river trips for years using DUI dist. they offer a marine one as well with a 1 wire hook-up and a tach connector as well. I believe the web page is performancedistributors try your web search. I just put one in my jet boat in march, Love it! Good luck.:)devil

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had flawless river trips for years using DUI dist. they offer a marine one as well with a 1 wire hook-up and a tach connector as well. I believe the web page is performancedistributors try your web search. I just put one in my jet boat in march, Love it! Good luck.:)devil
Thanks I will check it out. Simple is the theme of this build for sure.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Any further info on this. I'm looking at swapping out the dual point Mallory that's in the boat right now. It will be going in a mild build 460 Chev.

I am considering the Pertronix but the DUI Marine from performancedistributers with the Rev. Limiter built in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went threw 2 petronix dizzys in about 8 months time in my 508 olds. I could not have asked for better support and very quick replacement. They had the replacment pickups in my hand in 3 days. Last one still going strong and i have reused them as i upgrade motors. I would still buy again.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I went threw 2 petronix dizzys in about 8 months time in my 508 olds. I could not have asked for better support and very quick replacement. They had the replacment pickups in my hand in 3 days. Last one still going strong and i have reused them as i upgrade motors. I would still buy again.

So are you saying they have a good product or really good customer support? Did you purchase the actuall Pertronix distributer or just the module?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Pertronix and Mallory are both nice products. The Mallory, being the nicer unit (and a bit more expensive of the two), has a much nice mechanical advance adjustments. Either however are easily burnt up in less than a few minutes if the key is left on with the engine at rest. So If you have a stereo don't wire it through the run circuit.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think the gen 2 series of the Pertronix has a built in protection from leaving the key on where the Mallory does not. I burn't up several modules in my old Mallory and switched to a Pertronix with the flame thrower coil, never a problem again.

The marine billet dist from pertronix is a great dist IMO.

·
Registered
288 Posts
i run a mallory and it runs great... but if you want the name MSD spend the x-tra money . Money Sucking Distributor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts