Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I run the Mallory active power filter instead of a ballast resistor? I've been reading threads on this distributor and its a love/hate relationship

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Your on the wrong side of the ignition when you're discussing resistors and Mallory power filter. The resistor is for the coil, and the filter is for the unilite module. There is a difference in the wiring. If yours is wired correctly.:hmmm:

The ballast resistor limits the the power the module "switches" to the coil(thru the green "negative" wire from the coil) . The power filter limits the power that is fed to the module for the key.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your on the wrong side of the ignition when you're discussing resistors and Mallory power filter. The resistor is for the coil, and the filter is for the unilite module. There is a difference in the wiring. If yours is wired correctly.:hmmm:
Thanks GN, it's not installed yet but I wanted to put in my jegs order for what I might need for this ignition system. Do I need both of them?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Thanks GN, it's not installed yet but I wanted to put in my jegs order for what I might need for this ignition system. Do I need both of them?
Go back an read my previous post because I edited it to make it a little clearer.
Here is a pic of what the wiring should look like. You can see that the ballast resistor is between the "run" wire going to the coil, and the power filter would go between the dizzy and the plug loom they supplied with the dizzy, and filters the 12 volts to the module from the key.

Removing the ballast resister can smoke both the coil or the module's SWITCHING circuit.
A voltage spike from your voltage regulater/alternator can take out the modules triggering circuit, regardless if you have a ballast resistor or not.

I wouldn't even consider running a Mallory Unilite without a power filter.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts