Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
:)bulb not a good idea to go boating with out it, don't ya think ???, if you can't afford it, maybe ya shouldn't be owning a boat ????, just sayin.........

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Pretty hard to even get liability on high performance jet, flatty's and hydros. When my dad would take out his Blown Alcohol Flatty to the river and give rides to people on the beach my mom would cringe.

I have a 25 foot Daytona with a stock 496 Mag Ho. You really can't even get insurance if you go over 600HP, that is if your honest about your HP.

The river and lakes have changed a lot from the 60's, 70's and 80's though. People used to be more aware of what they were doing and where they were going. Now a days, in the "jetski era", people don't look before they turn. Memorial Day weekend, I was about 10 feet from taking out a Jetski'er.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
:)bulb not a good idea to go boating with out it, don't ya think ???, if you can't afford it, maybe ya shouldn't be owning a boat ????, just sayin.........
Have'nt had insurance on my boat in over 43 years. Boating safety is the best insurance and you cant buy that! Besides money does'nt replace lives lost. People have a tendancy to let their guard down when they have insurance, you know what they say, " Thats what insurance is for" or " Thats o.k. I got insurance" then they do somthing really stupid like run over a PWC or skier. No amount of money can bring back the lives lost at LHC or the Parker strip or anywhere for that matter. Boating safety is ultimately the best insurance one could have. just sayin...........
United States Navy

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty hard to even get liability on high performance jet, flatty's and hydros. When my dad would take out his Blown Alcohol Flatty to the river and give rides to people on the beach my mom would cringe.

I have a 25 foot Daytona with a stock 496 Mag Ho. You really can't even get insurance if you go over 600HP, that is if your honest about your HP.

The river and lakes have changed a lot from the 60's, 70's and 80's though. People used to be more aware of what they were doing and where they were going. Now a days, in the "jetski era", people don't look before they turn. Memorial Day weekend, I was about 10 feet from taking out a Jetski'er.
I know exactly what you're talking about, I think PWC's are the worst.
I got a letter from Dept of Fish and Game somthing about going by the length of the hull. As far as HP, it's just a stock BBC with a lot of chrome!hil:)hil:)

·
Coors Light Tour - 2010
341 Posts
Have'nt had insurance on my boat in over 43 years. Boating safety is the best insurance and you cant buy that! Besides money does'nt replace lives lost. People have a tendancy to let their guard down when they have insurance, you know what they say, " Thats what insurance is for" or " Thats o.k. I got insurance" then they do somthing really stupid like run over a PWC or skier. No amount of money can bring back the lives lost at LHC or the Parker strip or anywhere for that matter. Boating safety is ultimately the best insurance one could have. just sayin...........
United States Navy
Wow.... Ditto, ditto, ditto....

I'd love to have insurance, but have you ever seen how many replies a post gets from someone looking for insurance..... yep, ZERO! Bottom line, drive safe, but I could never say it better then it was said above!!!

·
Bass Lake Dream'n
3,082 Posts
Since I keep my boat at my parents house on bass Lake, my mom insisted on the boat being insured.
Al Thompson in Lake Havasu ([email protected]) did mine. He said any boat under 21ft with nitros or forced induction can not be insured. I think you have to buy a bond. I have 18'er with under 600hp, sent him dyno sheet, pics and build sheet and I'm fully covered for $800 a year. If it sinks, burns, flips, stollen, wrecked, what ever, I get $18,000. A few years back I was looking at buying a 26' American Offshore NSX Cat with a blown 513 making 850hp. Ins. quote was $6000 a year!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, I never bought it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since I keep my boat at my parents house on bass Lake, my mom insisted on the boat being insured.
Al Thompson in Lake Havasu ([email protected]) did mine. He said any boat under 21ft with nitros or forced induction can not be insured. I think you have to buy a bond. I have 18'er with under 600hp, sent him dyno sheet, pics and build sheet and I'm fully covered for $800 a year. If it sinks, burns, flips, stollen, wrecked, what ever, I get $18,000. A few years back I was looking at buying a 26' American Offshore NSX Cat with a blown 513 making 850hp. Ins. quote was $6000 a year!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, I never bought it.
Cool, Thanks Barron!

·
Break Out Another Thousnd
2,040 Posts
Just fyi his email is actually [email protected]. You were one net short. :D Seems like a nice enough guy. Waiting on my quote...

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Toon insurance

I know it aint the same deal, but Mrs Throttle hooked me up over the phone for full coverage on a 24 ft pontoon boat. $292 a year with plenty of liability coverage. OH, and $300 tow coverage thrown in for cheap.....I'm hoping to get my underpowered v drive and jet covered reasonably as well. We'll see how that goes when we get there........Ray

Now back to the real problems involving insurance.......

·
Break Out Another Thousnd
2,040 Posts
Wow.... Ditto, ditto, ditto....

I'd love to have insurance, but have you ever seen how many replies a post gets from someone looking for insurance..... yep, ZERO! Bottom line, drive safe, but I could never say it better then it was said above!!!
$756 For a year on my flat. Full coverage. I'd always been told to pack sand when I called the other places. John this guy (Al Thompson) knows your boat. He knows Vic, as well as many other popular folks. He said the big thing with smaller boats is blowers/turbos/nos. Horsepower is not an issue if it is normally aspirated (carb/injection). It'll be nice to have liability on my boat while hunting, er, I mean avoiding jet skis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts