Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The US Army Core of Engineers is quietly doing a “Life Jacket Study” and this year they have chosen a lake that I frequent Pine Flat Lake, Ca. From April 1st 2011 through October 31st 2011 all persons aboard a vessel will be required to wear a Life Jacket anytime the engine is running. From my understanding, this is the third and final test lake region, with previous studies conducted on the east coast and mid west, of which the USACE claims have had fairly positive results, but I’m not buying it! If this study goes well (without severe public complaint) they will implement this mandatory wear of life vests on all USACE controlled lakes in the nation!

I’m looking for support, so we can get the word out that boaters don’t want this. The USACE Pine Flat Lake Manager Tom Ehrke (559) 787-2589 [email protected] is logging the names and comments of the public who call in to voice their opinion during the study, so I would also encourage people to call in as it may save your lake from this requirement in the future.

·
mud slinger
2,012 Posts
I heard about this last year. I hope this law doesnt pass because I dont want to boat in the ocean. :)

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
if this did pass, I can guarentee that those little CO2 inflated "strap vests" would be
selling like hotcakes- only thing bad about them is the lieder-hosen tan lines;)

·
Registered
944 Posts
I got one at Sports Authority that is more like a belt or fanny pack. Wear it all the time unless I am swimming..... IIRC it was under 100$ on sale.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
It's even more annoying than just riding in the boat with a vest. If you stop for a swim, all swimmers have to be wearing a vest.

So you got to take the Leederhosen off (don't want it to inflate!) and then put on a jacket. Then jump in for a quick prop-check:D.. Then switch back to the leederhosen for the ride..

Dammit..:|err

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
It's even more annoying than just riding in the boat with a vest. If you stop for a swim, all swimmers have to be wearing a vest.

So you got to take the Leederhosen off (don't want it to inflate!) and then put on a jacket. Then jump in for a quick prop-check:D.. Then switch back to the leederhosen for the ride..

Dammit..:|err
You got to be shitting???? Vests for swimming.

Good grief where is this gonna stop if they insist on wearing vests for swimming!!!!!! Soon there will be safety nets keeping us from going in over our knees...... Bureaucracy run amuck.:)sphss

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rules are:
1. Everyone swimming more than 100ft from shore
2. Everyone aboard all non-motorized vessels regardless of length at all times
3. Everyone aboard vessels up to 16ft at all times
4. Everyone aboard motorized vessels 16ft and larger when the vessel is underway. Passengers inside a fully enclosed cabin are not required to wear a life jacket. Life jackets are required for pilots or passengers in any exposed area of the vessel while the vessel is underway. Life jackets are not required when the vessel is stationary.

So if you are driving a houseboat from the fly bridge on the top deck, at 5mph you and all of your passengers will need to be wearing a vest! WTF? This is just another version of the motorcycle helmet law, what happened to our freedom of choice?

It is beyond me how the Government tries to make laws to fix stupid. Before you know it they will require roll bars in all cars, we will have to all wear nomex suits, have stock tires and rims only, no music or phone calls of any kind. Boats sure why stop there no skiing,wakeboarding,5 miles an hour max speed on the entire lake, no night boating, no music, 2 observers in the boat while anyone is in the water, Captain of every boat should be an EMT. All of these would definitely save lives but at the cost of our freedom of choice.

Right now the USACE is doing a study… Study or what? They claim to see if the wear rate goes up, well if you “force” us to wear life jackets or face a $175 ticket, the wear rates will go up because you forced it! I believe that it is a study of public opinion on how people feel about being required to wear life jackets, so let’s show them that we don’t like it!

How do we stop this, by calling Tom Ehrke USACE at 559-787-2589 and voicing your opinion! If not it will become a national law, and that means that your lake will be affected too!

·
Wishin I was at Pine Flat
139 Posts
If you are farther than 100 feet from shore.. and in the water.. you gotta have a vest on. It's MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF BULLSHIT!

You got to be shitting???? Vests for swimming.

Good grief where is this gonna stop if they insist on wearing vests for swimming!!!!!! Soon there will be safety nets keeping us from going in over our knees...... Bureaucracy run amuck.:)sphss

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
Comment:

Yeah this is the same Army Corp of Engineers that thought it was Ok to build a city named New Orleans below sea level. Talk about a bunch of dumb azzez, never seen anything good from the Army Corp of Engineers or the damn BLM a bunch of worthless agencies trying to justify their existence at the expense of the middle class American.

Leave it to those communist autocratic agencies and everything will be closed down boating and the desert.

Oh! don't worry some a-hole legislator will sponsor it....who probably never boated in their lives nor ever will. The only thing that comes to mind is the system making money if there is money to be made on the backs of middle class Americans. Then it will be passed revenue raising at every turn is the only explanation I can think of.

Oh and were is the boating lobby and like organizations to fight this off.

This kinda stuff pisses me off a complete waste of time, money and effort. Studies yeah paid for by the government so some retards can justify spending $900,000 on whether people are to incapable of making a choice for themselves.

KAP

P.S. Plaster Dave then you really will be boating in the ocean because it will the last haven to boat with some amount of freedom.

Good Morning to All!

·
Wishin I was at Pine Flat
139 Posts
Plus we feed them... maybe we will get preferential treatment. Jan will have to make more of the cheescake strawberries to bribe Jake and Jerry. lol
You going anywhere this weekend? I need to get my heater back in.. and Im thinking of skiing friday.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Comment:

Yeah this is the same Army Corp of Engineers that thought it was Ok to build a city named New Orleans below sea level.

Good Morning to All!
New Orleans was founded in 1718 by the French Mississippi Company, the Corps of Engineers was founded in 1775. Is is possible that you are "wrong" about this since the "facts" seem to contradict your statement and the premise of your argument.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Comment:

Yeah this is the same Army Corp of Engineers that thought it was Ok to build a city named New Orleans below sea level.
New Orleans was founded in 1718 by the French Mississippi Company, the Corps of Engineers was founded in 1775. Is is possible that you are "wrong" about this since the "facts" seem to contradict your statement and the premise of your argument.
Being from Louisiana I hear this misconception all the time. New Orleans wasn't below sea level when it was built. Geology back then wasn't a very good science and they didn't know what was under the ground they were building on. It's a sinking city.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
soooo whtas next

The bathroom is the most dangerous room in the house- so whats next?

Mandatory bathtub helmets?

Big Brother is getting overwhelming.

where does it stop?

Uncle Dave

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
"Water Kills" ..........Make H2O illegal. ;)
HEY! Finally, some common sense....banning water will solve the problem....permanently.
There is a huge difference between a jetski or a racing boat out doing highspeed runs, vs a pleasure boat that can't exceed 45 or a houseboat. Some dumb-buns are trying to legislate safety without knowing the subject.....I have never heard of politicians doing that!:)sphss:)coffee

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
Well thanks for the history lesson...laughing. Uhhh the premise of my statement/argument is summarized for you in one sentence. I don't want the damn government regulating micro managing my life...if you disagree by all means tell us your position i.e... why we need more regulation.

Are you for wearing life jackets all the time? or just a Corps of Engineers employee? laughing.

KAP

1 - 20 of 127 Posts