Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I was like blam!
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wanting to change my stock manifold .what after market manifold would work with my set up ?stock 454 ,oval closed chamber heads 98cc,holley 750.Thanks

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Im wanting to change my stock manifold .what after market manifold would work with my set up ?stock 454 ,oval closed chamber heads 98cc,holley 750.Thanks
i would recommend the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold...its a dual plane...great bottom end torque & good mid range...IMO, the best manif for the $$$...there are several peeps on here who run one with good success :)...just my .02 cents

FastRat

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
i would recommend the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold...its a dual plane...great bottom end torque & good mid range...IMO, the best manif for the $$$...there are several peeps on here who run one with good success :)...just my .02 cents

FastRat
I'm one of them, and my old lake tub throws nitrous down it occasionally as fast as 5,900rpm. :D
Great all-around working manifold.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I'm one of them, and my old lake tub throws nitrous down it occasionally as fast as 5,900rpm. :D
Great all-around working manifold.

thats the slowest damn lake tub ive seen to turn 5,900 and go no where,lmfao!!!!!!maybe you should make some phone calls to real boat shops,lol!!!

just pickin on ya smokin been awhile:)sphss

anyway yes the rpm air gap is your best choice for stock mill.:)hand

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Gonna be interesting to see what she does with all that "F" hardware no longer dragging in the water next spring, for sure.
I actually think the reverse "spout" was dragging too.

Hope to see ya at the lake sometime hotbo. :)

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Depends on what you already have, and how much you want to spend.

The "quick n' dirty" is Nitrous (which I am a fan of).

I started with a bone stock 1978 454, made about 280 HP.
Budget forced me into incremental changes over winters.
Cam and intake change got me to about 350HP. (4800RPM, Berk A)
Thru Transom headers put me at 400HP (5,000RPM)
Head porting/valve work put me at about 500HP (5,400RPM)
Nitrous puts me at 650. (5,900RPM)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
what else can I do to get some more ponies ?
the "old" saying is: "Speed costs...how fast do u want to go?"...as Smoke said, subtle changes do make a difference ie; cam, head work, valves, headers, ign, etc...i personally would get rid of those closed chamber heads & look for some 049/780's (open chamber)...much better head :)...also...maybe some jet work ie; different impeller (A or A/B), ride plate & shoe...that should put u around 500HP+ @ 6k +/- at around 75-80mph, maybe more depending on the hull u have...just my .02 cents :)

FastRat

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
The only bad part of the head swap is loosing compression. The open chambers are typically about 20cc's bigger, which is a whopping 20%, likely costing you 20% drop in compression. They flow much better due to less shrouding arround the valves, but you really need to replace pistons along with heads so as to not go backwards any.
The other thing is '049 heads normally are found with the factory smaller valve size (2.07/1.72"), unless they have been changed. Rare to find them already with 2,19/1.8+'ers)
'781 heads are really rare, but are basically the same casting, the '049 just being the later/newer replacement casting #.
Aftermarket heads are an option to consider. I considered them against porting/enlarging valves in my heads. I believe that I got performance above what out-of-the-box heads would have gotten me, and to get the box heads better, would have cost more $$$$. "Bang-for-the-buck" is something I live with daily.
Some decisions aren't easy, except for other people to make with your $$$$.

Your decisions on where to go from where you are and how you want to get there.

·
I was like blam!
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my motor is running fine now so I was thinking when it comes time to freshing it up might aswell do some modificatoins and budget is a big issue .so for know im going to change my intake and do some pump work see where that gets me . my set up is 18ft crusader v hull ,stock 454 ,tt logs with snails ,dominator ,droop ,hyd place diverter.thanks hooker.oh yeah what about putting basset headers on any gains from that.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
yes, Bassett/Rewarder headers would help "alot" :)...also...depending on what impeller u have now, a chng to an A or A/B would be a good thing :)

FastRat

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
I agree, a Performer RPM AirGap would work well. Or a Vic Jr, it's in a jet right?

what else can I do to get some more ponies ?
A complete top end kit like the one linked below takes all the thought out of the equation. Maintaining an appropriate compression ratio is important so, as stated above, new pistons may be in order too. And that's opening a can of worms. Re-balance, "Oh, while we've got Thi$ thing apart we could do thi$ too. Oh ye$ of cor$e we $hould al$o upgrade thi$"

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL%2D2094&autoview=sku

Or for the same $3k +, the easiest no brainer option is to just add a ProCharger. Leave everything together, bolt it on, tune, and go. And when it comes time to sell, you have the option of returning the engine to stock, keeping it for another project or raising the value by leaving it on.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
You'll have a tough time shoving enough exhaust thru those logs to get over about 450 horses, but, without at least a good cam and intake, the headers will not provide much either.
As said, it's all "proper combination". The odd part-add-on will probably not do a lot on it's own, but if you aim at an end goal, you can get them to add up very well.

The procharger setup is also another viable option, but i don't know a thing about 'em.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Cams are cheap, by comparison to most components. Your next cam doesn't have to be your "last" cam. I'd contact a good cam manufacturer and give them your setup and ask for more midrange and high end, but just a couple of steps; nothing radical.

Next, some decent exhaust. You'll notice each of these steps. Then, save up your money for some decent heads and your next cam to complement it. It's all combos.

I would not get new pistons until later when you have upgraded heads that you'll keep for a while, so you can match them with your new combustion chamber and valve configuration.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hookerman,

I have a Edelbrock RPM air gap manifold for sale.
Sent you a PM.

Jim

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Ive' heard a lot of good things about the Victor and Victor Jr. I am thinking about switching this winter. I have an RPM air gap now and it works but I am looking for something better. I have the same heads and the Vic Jr is where I'm going. just my $.02

1 - 20 of 30 Posts