Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that the only difference is the curve overflow pipe on the marine carb, is that only that or there is something else??

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I heard that the only difference is the curve overflow pipe on the marine carb, is that only that or there is something else??
For the most part.....

That being said, there are tuned differences that are not phisycally visible.

Jetting, power valve size, if vacuum secondary, the vacuum spring rate, yada yada yada...

But just because the vent tubes are correct does not make it USCG approved, it needs the tagging for that.

GT :)hand

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Just curious if anyone has (or can cite) the actual "statutes" and or sections of the "law" (Coast guard or otherwize) regarding what exactly defines a "marine carburators" as well as a multitude of other parts and pieces , as they apply to these boats of the 70's 80's etc Enjoy seeing them posted or referenced here in black and white Tom

BTW holley J tubes are hard to come by but can be found with a little internet search effort

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Just curious if anyone has (or can cite) the actual "statutes" and or sections of the "law" (Coast guard or otherwize) regarding what exactly defines a "marine carburators" as well as a multitude of other parts and pieces , as they apply to these boats of the 70's 80's etc Enjoy seeing them posted or referenced here in black and white Tom

BTW holley J tubes are hard to come by but can be found with a little internet search effort

Tommy, you don't even want to go there...I was a board member several years ago and would just provide field input to the board for actual real world findings, there are no one set of regulations for anything, every single SAE approved component has it's own set of specs.

For instance, you cant expect a Carter AFB to have the same marine modifications as a Holley...

To get an idea of how vast the SAE spec system is here is a link for ya... you can order the manufacturing version of each spec online, at a cost of course....

http://engineers.ihs.com/collections/sae/sae-jseries-2.htm

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Tommy, you don't even want to go there...I was a board member several years ago and would just provide field input to the board for actual real world findings, there are no one set of regulations for anything, every single SAE approved component has it's own set of specs.

For instance, you cant expect a Carter AFB to have the same marine modifications as a Holley...

To get an idea of how vast the SAE spec system is here is a link for ya... you can order the manufacturing version of each spec online, at a cost of course....

http://engineers.ihs.com/collections/sae/sae-jseries-2.htm

My point exactly , can never get a straight answer or interpretation from anyone I ever ask including Harbor and Nav and most Rangers (with the exception of some of the component manufacturers) . They (the powers that be ) generally seem to be looking for saftey equipt (this is a good thing btw ) and Mufflers :mad:, not at Starters ,Alternators and carbs etc etc , Hey does Enderle make a Marine approved "Hat" and how is a marine blower different from a "door slammer model" :D

and heres some food for thought , I suspect that most marine starter "malfunctions" (sparks that become bilge ignition sources) are not caused by the electrical issues but rather the starter pinion striking the flywheel on engagement !

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts

I think it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Look at all of the old boats still on the water, made out of old "junk resin" compaired to todays standard of resin. Gotta have this gotta have that.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Look at all of the old boats still on the water, made out of old "junk resin" compaired to todays standard of resin. Gotta have this gotta have that.
Some of it is about safety, but much has to be about the dollars and (non)cents. It is Just like the National Electrical Code. The 2009 edition requires tamper proof receptacles in bedrooms, bathrooms, dens, living rooms and dining rooms. I know the Pass and Seymore guy that was one of the lobbying partys on that code. He said it was all about higher profit margin for manufacturers and inspecting agencies (i.e. the state, county or city).

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm in the coast guard...I have a demon street carb. on my jet boat haha. I dont know anyone at my station who would actually give a citation for that, but we mostly deal with outboards here. Also a lot depends on your attitude ;)

·
Registered
3,864 Posts

JPB is right about tagging for "MARINE USE" I have a holley 650cfm spread bore in my garage that came off a merc marine Motor from the factory and it doesn't have a tag but I will admit it worked real well on my gen 5 till I made changes!! If anyone wants it I will sell cheap. Yes it has the J-VENTS. M

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
JPB is right about tagging for "MARINE USE" I have a holley 650cfm spread bore in my garage that came off a merc marine Motor from the factory and it doesn't have a tag but I will admit it worked real well on my gen 5 till I made changes!! If anyone wants it I will sell cheap. Yes it has the J-VENTS. M
pm sent

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
why the holley or holley clones only imo?
In 40+ years, of using and working on a wide array of carburetors domestic and import we find them to be the best for all around performance applications, in simple terms , diy/user friendly tuning , adaptability,reliability and parts/mods availability , Rochester Quadrajets & Thermoquads were never meant to be performance Carbs and have personally never had much luck with the Edelbrock/Carter AFB line up guess one could chalk it up to personal preference ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
In 40+ years, of using and working on a wide array of carburetors domestic and import we find them to be the best for all around performance applications, in simple terms , diy/user friendly tuning , adaptability,reliability and parts/mods availability , Rochester Quadrajets & Thermoquads were never meant to be performance Carbs and have personally never had much luck with the Edelbrock/Carter AFB line up guess one could chalk it up to personal preference ...

for the cfm which would you do 600 625 or 650?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts