Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does any One know where I might find Marine grade carpet, locally here in Las Vegas?...Hal

·
Crazy Eights
1,476 Posts
I just recently bought some from Santa Barbara Upholstery on charlston and pecos. it was reasonably priced and sells the industial carpet glue (good stuff) for $20/gal...i called around to a few shops in town and thats where they said they get their stuff.

i think the carpet was something like $16/yard @ 6' wide....decent selection of colors too.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have. Can be UPS'ed.

Thats where i got mine.. Good carpet, got a good deal... Shipping was not to bad considering they shipped it to North Carolina... I think i got the 21 oz and it looks AWESOME!!

I have seen the indoor outdoor from home depot and it does not compare to what i got from Rex.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
use the marine carpet, the backing alone is reason enough to go marine, it allows for some stretch on compounded curves, plus don't not let water into the binder to rot.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I just recently bought some from Santa Barbara Upholstery on charlston and pecos. it was reasonably priced and sells the industial carpet glue (good stuff) for $20/gal...i called around to a few shops in town and thats where they said they get their stuff.

i think the carpet was something like $16/yard @ 6' wide....decent selection of colors too.
Ditto on Santa Barbara

·
Strap on the JATO
305 Posts
Hal, I got some from Lowes for the Kona, they have it in
a couple of grey shades. A lot of people around here(Bay Area)
use it in their boats, it's good stuff.....

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks Guys, I an looking for a medium to dark blue, Lowes was carying marine carpet and had a blue color that I loved , But they do not cary it any more. I will go and look at the color selection at Santa Barbra. if I do not see what I like I will Give Rex a call...Hal

·
Crazy Eights
1,476 Posts
i used the homedepot stuff in my liberty and had to pull it out...it was a disaster...the fibers pulled through the backing when i pulled it up leaving a ton of chia pet fuzz all over the floor....it was a long long tough project to get it all out with a scraper and lots of gasoline and trying various solvents to remove it.

the stuff is cheaply put together and unwravles when you cut it. it doesnt leave very clean edges.

·
Administrator
11,646 Posts
I have a lot of stock although may not have every color (what I had at that post date is listed in the link down towards the thread bottom). The problem is right now one of the major marine carpet manufacturers went upside down and inventory was bought by another. Everything is a clusterfock trying to get product at the moment as they do not know what they have. Yet a third major supplier is just gearing up for marine but not quite available yet. The 2 month thing is probably a worst case scenario. We are trying weekly to get answers and availability, like the rest of the marine industry the carpet makers are scrambling and good answers to any questions seem to be vague at best.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Whatever you guys do, go with the 40 oz. marine carpet like the stuff that Rex sells, its a little more cash, but what you end up with is far better than a 30-20 oz. carpet! feels great on the feet, more durable, does not stain lighter colored towels or clothes when wet on the floor of the boat!
one more thing, 40 oz. carpet hides a tone of imperfections in the floor of your boat, it has got to be the easiest carpet to lay down and tuck into the corners of a stringer and/or bulk head! just my .02
Todd

·
riverside
32 Posts
go with the 40 oz. marine carpet

i agree the 40 in our boat has held up really well since
it was installed 4 yrs. ago.:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Next time try R-M "PreKleeno". Soak a 2x3 towel, rub the area with it then lay the towel out over an area. After about 5 min it will scrape off very easy. This is what the body shops use.
i used the homedepot stuff in my liberty and had to pull it out...it was a disaster...the fibers pulled through the backing when i pulled it up leaving a ton of chia pet fuzz all over the floor....it was a long long tough project to get it all out with a scraper and lots of gasoline and trying various solvents to remove it.

the stuff is cheaply put together and unwravles when you cut it. it doesnt leave very clean edges.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
i agree the 40 in our boat has held up really well since
it was installed 4 yrs. ago.:)
...that would be 7 year old carpet if this post was meant about my old boat.
and it is the same dark charcoal that Rex sells.
I personally would recommend a sprayable yellow glue that is a "Dap" product (Found at most all interior supply houses), stay away from water born glues as well, water and fuels will delaminate your carpet faster than you can pound a beer in a desert hot spell! just a few more cents on mine that have worked well for me in the past!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts