Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I have always carried a handheld with extra batteries. I like the kind that are rechargable as and also accept AA batteries. They are only around 75 bucks and a wise accessory to have in case of emergency. You may have to call Sea Tow or air evac or ???? Could save a life. Its always good to be prepared. I use the sealable plastic "shoe box" type totes to hold some emergency gear. First aid kit, flashlight,trash bags, emergency sunblock(spare) knife, basic drugs, spare bimini pins, xtra sunglasses for the next time I dive in with them. I also carry a tool kit and small ratchet set.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
We put a Uniden VHF marine radio in our Advantage when we bought it. Never turn it on, but it is there if we need it.

·
Displaced Azian
783 Posts
We carry two,, a fixed mount as well as a hand held. It has come in handy a couple of times. We also use the handheld for the person backing in the truck.

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
We also use the handheld for the person backing in the truck.
Sometimes more than others, or so I hear. :D :D :D

Handheld and extra batteries are always a good idea whether you're hitting the local lake, or heading out in the salt. I'd put it on the necessary list if you're going in the ocean as there's lots and lots of water out there should you get in trouble.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have always carried a handheld with extra batteries. I like the kind that are rechargable as and also accept AA batteries. They are only around 75 bucks and a wise accessory to have in case of emergency. You may have to call Sea Tow or air evac or ???? Could save a life. Its always good to be prepared. I use the sealable plastic "shoe box" type totes to hold some emergency gear. First aid kit, flashlight,trash bags, emergency sunblock(spare) knife, basic drugs, spare bimini pins, xtra sunglasses for the next time I dive in with them. I also carry a tool kit and small ratchet set.
What are the channels to use....??? for emergencies, sea tow....???

·
I am Roger..the Shrubber
1,080 Posts
I just put a handheld in the boat this last weekend. Seems I can't get cell signal in certain spots on the water and wanted a little security. It's rechargeable but also has a battery insert for use with 8 AA batteries. You just never know.

·
Registered
991 Posts
We have an Icom mounted VHF radio on the Victory and carry an Icom M72 handheld that can be hooked up to the boat's antenna as well. They are a great safety device. Even if your line of sight communication is limited (usually by canyon or short antenna) another boater can relay for you.

BTW - most boats are not required by law to have a VHF radio, but if you do have one you ARE REQUIRED to monitor ch16. Also, you are not allowed to use it off the water per FCC rules last I heard...

·
Nordic 35' Flame
529 Posts
I have a Uniden VHF in the boat, we use it once in a while at Pleasant to remind someone coming out to get ice or something. I always use it at Powell...when you get 50 miles up lake, it's nice to have a way to contact someone else if you ever need it.

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
We carry two,, a fixed mount as well as a hand held. It has come in handy a couple of times. We also use the handheld for the person backing in the truck.
It is illegal to that. Only supposed to use them on the water. Marinas and such have a special license. Probably not a big issue if your stuff low powered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts