Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone of you guys recommend a Marine Surveyor in the So Cal area?

A while back I got washed onto the dock and then on my next trip out the hull basically disintegrated. I submitted a claim to my insurance company, who have now got back to me and stated that they WILL NOT pay out as they consider it to be a manufacturers defect!?! The manufacturer has taken it to a shop, who have submitted a report to the insurance company BUT they say that "the report doesn't offer any any evidence to substantiate my claim"! WTF???

So, as you can imagine, I'm pretty pissed off at this point as this is what you pay your insurance for! Right? So I need to get a Marine Surveyor to take a look at my boat and submit a report to the insurance company.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations. Also if you manufacturers out there have anyone that you'd recommend using, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance for you help on this!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
Thanks! As you can imagine, it's pretty stressful having a boat that I'm making payments on which is totally unusable!
UGH!!!
You must be really going crazy .:)bit

Sure hope it all turns out ok for you.

We are all here if you need to vent.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
UGH!!!
You must be really going crazy .:)bit

Sure hope it all turns out ok for you.

We are all here if you need to vent.
Thanks so much! Yeah, you're right, it really does piss me off that the insurance company are more than happy to take your money BUT then when something like this happens the F*CK you!!!

Here's what the report says:

"I have been in the boat building industry for more that 20 year and have been involved with over 10 different manufacturers. Specifically, I have been involved in the fiberglass application in both new boat builds and in the repair sections of the industry. This has allowed me to witness both the original manufacturing and consumber side of the boat industry with emphasis on fiberglass construction and re-construction of damaged boats.

In regards to this boat it is apparent that the fiberglass has bee torn away by the water pressure. It is my professional opinion that the damage was started by an impact and the water forced its way though. The pattern shows thatt as the boat came down from its set position on the planing surface of the hull that patch would start tearing then stop as the water pressure would decrease and the boat bow would rise back to its set positions. A de-lamination problem would have torn the fiberglass skin away and left the secondary layers in position. With this in mind I believe that this was definitely not a manufacturing construction problem, the damage is way too sever and both construction layers have been compromised by this incident. If there are any questions please feel free to contact me"

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
I sure hope that the "report" wasn't prepared by the insurance person, god help you if it was, did he/she get past the 2nd grade !!!!!!!

Did you ever get opinons from other professional glass people as to what may have really happened ?

The best thing the hull mfg could do would be to replace the hull as good faith, take all your existing interior & running gear and put it in a new hull, maybe you pay for the installation?

Who is the insurance company your are dealing with, if you can share?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sure hope that the "report" wasn't prepared by the insurance person, god help you if it was, did he/she get past the 2nd grade !!!!!!!

Did you ever get opinons from other professional glass people as to what may have really happened ?

The best thing the hull mfg could do would be to replace the hull as good faith, take all your existing interior & running gear and put it in a new hull, maybe you pay for the installation?

Who is the insurance company your are dealing with, if you can share?
My insurance company is Progressive. I'm going to commission another report and then submit that to them. When they reject that report, I will then have to retain a lawyer. I really don't want to incur the substantial costs of a lawyer until I've exhausted all other avenues.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Thanks so much! Yeah, you're right, it really does piss me off that the insurance company are more than happy to take your money BUT then when something like this happens the F*CK you!!!

Here's what the report says:

"I have been in the boat building industry for more that 20 year and have been involved with over 10 different manufacturers. Specifically, I have been involved in the fiberglass application in both new boat builds and in the repair sections of the industry. This has allowed me to witness both the original manufacturing and consumber side of the boat industry with emphasis on fiberglass construction and re-construction of damaged boats.

In regards to this boat it is apparent that the fiberglass has bee torn away by the water pressure. It is my professional opinion that the damage was started by an impact and the water forced its way though. The pattern shows thatt as the boat came down from its set position on the planing surface of the hull that patch would start tearing then stop as the water pressure would decrease and the boat bow would rise back to its set positions. A de-lamination problem would have torn the fiberglass skin away and left the secondary layers in position. With this in mind I believe that this was definitely not a manufacturing construction problem, the damage is way too sever and both construction layers have been compromised by this incident. If there are any questions please feel free to contact me"

I really don't know how they can still say that "they" still consider it's a manufacturing defect???
Was it a manufacture defect or not. Am I reading that right. :)sphss

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was it a manufacture defect or not. Am I reading that right. :)sphss
The report states that "With this in mind I believe that this was definitely not a manufacturing construction problem, the damage is way too sever and both construction layers have been compromised by this incident."

That last paragraph was from me, I've edited that out. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
But have you had a glass "expert" evaluate the damaged area ?? Did you ever contact Wes @ Trident and get his glass experts opinion ??

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
also try tri state marine surveyors inc

www.desertsurvey.com

capt william dials 9287544592 office his cell is 9282010389 he has a counter part in san diego not sure his name. call william if u boat is in havi and get the san diego number from him if u boat is here in cali. these guys did all the piranaha damage clamis.

·
Other Side of River
1,235 Posts
Here we go again,wondered what happened on this deal.You do not need a surveyor,you need a lawyer.This boat unfortunately was severely damaged.your next trip finished it off,you posted the pics.Your problem is not with the builder,he has gone furthur than most would have. You need to get the insurance company on this.You seem like a good kid,but your going the wrong way here.Get a lawyer on this ,you paid for insurance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts