Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the case on a powerglide. Its in a 22' Schiada - Blown BBC to a #4 Speedmaster. The case is cracked at the bellhousing.

Three Questions:

1. Should I go for a two piece housing or a one piece? Does it matter for a marine application?
2. Any brand recommendations? Stock? Dedenbear (Reid Racing)? JW? ATI?
3. Who should I have swap the parts?

Thanks!

Justin

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Putting a new 2 peice bellhousing is very easy. Cut off the cracked one and the new one bolts right on. Getting it out of the boat is the hard part.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
New here so dont want to step on any toes but by the time you buy the bell and get the trans machined you can buy a whole case for less than $700.
Paul

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New here so dont want to step on any toes but by the time you buy the bell and get the trans machined you can buy a whole case for less than $700.
Paul
Don't worry, no toes were stepped on in the making of your post:D

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I've seen pics online of guys cutting off the housing themselves. The aftermarket bellhousing will be around $300 with shipping. I've seen whole cases (heck, whole transmissions!) for under $1k, but you have to swap all the internals over. Decisions, decisions.....

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
You have to empty the old case anyways. Well atleast if you want it done nice. The dedenbear one piece is nice. I would run a 1 piece the 2 piece ones can leak where the o ring and the bell meet and since you have cracked a case you would be depending on 6 5/16 bolts holding it all together.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Try Jerry's Transmission in Whittier. Jerry is a former K boat driver, runs an alcohol funny car with his son, and really knows the hi-perf boat scene. A very nice fellow.

He built a nice powerglide for my raysoncraft a couple of years ago, and used a dedenbear case. I ski raced, ran nostalgia endurance with it, never a problem.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Here's the one I did. The machining consisted of a saws-all and a file and a little polishing. Bolting the bell housing to the pump is plenty strong.

·
Medium Member
60 Posts
I've got the same set up, had a horrible leak. Took it apart and discovered a lack of o-rings! Only a couple hours on it since but so far so good. Mondorally,that looks like a real clean install, is that silicone between surfaces?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The only seal is the o-ring at the pump that can stay in place. There is no seal at the bellhousing, it mates to the outside of the pump.. You pull the bolts at the pump then install the supplied longer blots through the new bellhousing and back through the pump. The part you can see is not a seal.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only seal is the o-ring at the pump that can stay in place. There is no seal at the bellhousing, it mates to the outside of the pump.. You pull the bolts at the pump then install the supplied longer blots through the new bellhousing and back through the pump. The part you can see is not the seal.
I guess my question wasn't that clear. My questions (should I go this route) is what did you use between the two surfaces to get such a clean look. I can't tell in the pic but it looks like either grey foam or silicone where the cut part of the trans and the bellhousing would meet.

As opposed to this one where you can clearly see the cut/gap

Thanks!
Justin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts