Performance Boats Forum banner

Market Adjustment anyone???

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  dnewps 
#1 · (Edited)
What say ye (investment gurus / gold investors / futures traders)???

I'm a little leary of my investments that are FINALLY back to levels just before the 2009 lows... The DOW is up there and about maxed out based on the last five years...

Gold has bottomed out (or has it)... Is anyone here following the GOLD BUGS index and understand what is going on???

What say ye??? :notsure:

#2 ·
I watch and hear it daily, i just remember the last time we went through rough times in the 70s and the talk was that if you didn't invest in gold, you would be left with worthless paper money. The big push was to invest in gold. This theory never panned out and Jimmy Carter was gone. We are repeating the 70s again.

#4 ·
DO NOT FOLLOW THE MARKET. There is nothing to follow. This is a fools game. There is no such thing as a market GURU...or at least for sake of your time, effort, and sanity you should assume this. This concept of predicting publicly traded stock or commodities comes from the financial industry and their sales and marketing efforts over generations to convince you that you need them. Movies and TV showcasing the excitement of the market does not help either. All fantasy.

Of course there are always opinions...like a**holes, every one has one.

If you want to learn about this topic read the work of Harry Markowitz. He introduced efficient market theory concepts in 1952. In the early 90's he finally won the NOBEL prize for his life's work on the subject. He is the grandfather of the modern investment philosophy for retirement.

If you want to speculate then do so on real estate or a privately held small business...maybe flip guitars or cars or something you are very familiar with...there is much more visibility and control.

The "market" is wonderful for passive investing...it gives your money a job without having to do anything. Combine that with a tax sheltered account and you have a VERY powerful tool for retirement savings and/or long term weath building.

In my other post on the 401k subject I wrote about ROMNEY. He saved and invested 30k every year of his working life in a tax advantaged investment account....it's worth $100 million now. This is a average return of 14%. A little better than a dart throw in the small cap market over that time period.

Try to do better than that and you are pissing in the wind!

For passive investing....buy and hold as much as you can as often as you can and have the confidence that there is no crystal ball only historical probability.

Gold is to inflation what keeping green cash under your matress is to deflation...faith based system. may be good may be bad but not predictable. If you think we are going to colapse then preserve your capital in 3 mo US bonds. 3 mo US bonds fail then you should have invested in firearms...

#5 ·
What say ye (investment gurus / gold investors / futures traders)???

I'm a little leary of my investments that are FINALLY back to levels just before the 2009 lows... The DOW is up there and about maxed out based on the last five years...

Gold has bottomed out (or has it)... Is anyone here following the GOLD BUGS index and understand what is going on???

What say ye??? :notsure:
In the last 10 years the large cap market has not moved. So what will the next ten years hold? Who knows...but historically the best decades come after the worst. So own companies based on their size relative to the time you can wait. 20+ years = small cap. 10+ years = mid cap. 5+ years large cap. Less than 5 = liquidate stock. Or some combination if you need access to your savings and/or want to limit the volitility.

In the last 5 years the economy has been crap...but the market is nearing all time highs. Why?

#9 ·
How about this. The U.S. is going back on the Gold Standard. Price will go to shit. Controlled by the powers that be. Gooberment will buy it at $5. You will not be able to own it.Then raise it to $50 or what ever they feel like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.