Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Havasu & Anaheim Hills
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lock up my sandcar trailer at storage with a coupler lock. Specifically I use a Master Lock unit that covers the entire coupler preventing anyone from attaching the trailer to a hitch ball. I also use the same product on my boat and sea-doo trailers stored in Havasu.

Well I lost my keys. After weeks of looking for the key and Glamis season about to start, I gave up and decided it was time I was going to have to "steal" my own trailer.

I used a cordless drill first and drilled out the key lock cylinder mechanism, followed by a couple of whacks with a hammer and center punch and it came right off. Total time, @ 1 minute 30 seconds. If I had to do it again I am sure I could get my time down under a minute.

Sure you can say that these things are designed as deterrent so the thief will pick another trailer, but come on, a minute and a half to get it off by a newb to the entire trailer theft business?

EPIC FAIL

Attachments

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Wow, was sure hoping for a different outcome.

·
Dreaming of snow
1,053 Posts
Then you dont even want to see how fast someone can get into 90%+ of the houses in the US. When I first started evicting people and had to break into houses, it would take me about 4-5 minutes to have the lock open. Now it takes me anywhere from 5-10 seconds with a bump key, up to 45 seconds with picks. If you have double doors/ french doors, even easier. This counts for all the brands; Schalge, Kwikset, Defiant, NuSet, Guardian etc...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Thanks for sharing that with the world....maybe step by step instructions would make it easier for some crack head to realize its easier than they think:mad::mad:

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
My dad told me YEARS ago, locks only keep honest people honest.

Brian

·
Havasu & Anaheim Hills
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for sharing that with the world....maybe step by step instructions would make it easier for some crack head to realize its easier than they think:mad::mad:
Good point, lots of crack heads with boats on this board, never thought about that. My bad.

·
" Live Laterally "
4,536 Posts
I lock up my sandcar trailer at storage with a coupler lock. Specifically I use a Master Lock unit that covers the entire coupler preventing anyone from attaching the trailer to a hitch ball. I also use the same product on my boat and sea-doo trailers stored in Havasu.

Well I lost my keys. After weeks of looking for the key and Glamis season about to start, I gave up and decided it was time I was going to have to "steal" my own trailer.

I used a cordless drill first and drilled out the key lock cylinder mechanism, followed by a couple of whacks with a hammer and center punch and it came right off. Total time, @ 1 minute 30 seconds. If I had to do it again I am sure I could get my time down under a minute.

Sure you can say that these things are designed as deterrent so the thief will pick another trailer, but come on, a minute and a half to get it off by a newb to the entire trailer theft business?

EPIC FAIL
I have bought all the best and crazy locks you can buy. Fact of the matter is, if they want it there going to take it regardless. I use to keep my sand car in the garage and boats and trailer at friend and families. I have a buddy who had a toy hauler rental buss. and he had 3 get stolen from his yard and his custom 50 ft Weekend Warrior with his Tatum Black Widow Spider and F350 stolen in a matter of minutes from a storage place with gates with key pad and cameras. GONE!!!!!!!!!! Keep your stuff close if you can or have really good insurance. I still cant believe people use that storage at the dunes. F**K that. I have way to much money invested to have that stuff taken away from some dickless piece of chit. Jut my .02

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Well you have to look at it this way. By the time they broke into the storage lot, fired up the generator they had to drag with them unless power is provided, whirlled away with the drill, then pounded on it with a hammer then spent the time hooking up the trailer I would hope someone would hear something. That is if their is a watchman. Where my trailer is stored the security/nightwatchman would have a shotgun up the thieves ass just as he plugged the drill in:D These locks are deterents and you have to think of them that way.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Well you have to look at it this way. By the time they broke into the storage lot, fired up the generator they had to drag with them unless power is provided, whirlled away with the drill, then pounded on it with a hammer then spent the time hooking up the trailer I would hope someone would hear something. That is if their is a watchman. Where my trailer is stored the security/nightwatchman would have a shotgun up the thieves ass just as he plugged the drill in:D These locks are deterents and you have to think of them that way.
That is...if the watchmen wasn't in on it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts