Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 21 ft Winner Warrior, with typical floor construction, plywood and fiberglass overtop. The plywood has rotted out making the floor very spongy - obviously I need to replace the plywood. My question is what kind and how much fiberglass do I put overtop the plywood? I am confused by all the options - mat, cloth, biaxial, etc. I am leaning towards using polyester resin. (cost and familiarity)

Next - is there any good technique for covering such a large area (approx. 7ft by 8ft). I have never attempted to do such a large area before. Should I do it in stages?

Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Just a suggestion ..............................can you glass your floors out side of the boat ( bench ) going with two layers of fabric ( # 1708 ) and after you put the floors back in go along the perimeter where the floor meet the side of the hull tabbing it in with mutable layers of fabric staggered . Pics would be helpful just to give all a better idea on what would be the best and easiest way to answer your questions.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OffShore,
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I don't have any pictures right now. I will try to get some this weekend. I haven't started cutting the floor out yet, still planning. It is a 21 ft I/O family type boat. Not positive, but I think it is "chopper" construction.

So for material, you are suggesting #1708 bi-axial mat fabric, 2 layers. I found it online and the cost is reasonable.

Thanks for the idea of glassing the wood before I put it in. I will keep that in mind and see if it makes sense when I am actually doing the job.

Another question - the plywood will require a seam. should I run the plywood long ways and have a seam in the middle or width wise and have the seam run width wise? Probably doesn't make any difference.

Thanks
Dog

1 - 3 of 3 Posts