Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about making a trip down south from McIntyre Park, I don’t know if I will be able to make it all the way down to Martinez Lake but I would like to try to make it as far as possible. Does anyone know how many miles it is to Martinez Lake from McIntyre Park via the river? Also, where are all the gas stops on the river as you head south?

·
CANT RE MEMBER
1,159 Posts
i am thinking about making a trip down south from mcintyre park, i don’t know if i will be able to make it all the way down to martinez lake but i would like to try to make it as far as possible. Does anyone know how many miles it is to martinez lake from mcintyre park via the river? Also, where are all the gas stops on the river as you head south?
about 65 miles, walters camp is about halfway, they used to have gas, don't know if they still do, we always took 10 extra gallons just in case

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks John
Did a search and found the following:
Walters Camp is a very small community located on a Colorado River backwater that once was the main river channel. Found midway on the river between Blythe and Martinez Lake, Walters Camp is surrounded by the Cibola Wildlife Refuge. There is a small store, cantina, and gas dock.
I'll see if I can give them a call about the gas dock.
Walter's Camp

• (760) 854-3322
2556 Walters Camp Rd, Palo Verde, CA 92266

·
Registered
27 Posts
A few years back the gas tanks we're out because of leaking and soil remidiation. Definately call and make sure those got put back in. I attempted twice from Mayflower Park and never got much passed Walter's both times due to mechanical (rock in the impeller) and driver (sandbar) issues.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
when are you doing this jerry ? and did you think about doing some floating on the way down, very good on fuel...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when are you doing this jerry ? and did you think about doing some floating on the way down, very good on fuel...
I will be down there on August 8th, 9th and 10th. If you want to hook up let me know. I am thinking about doing the trip on Monday the 10th. I am not sure if I am going to take the Southwind or the Sea Doo.
At the end of June it was real shallow at Big River so we took the Sea Doo out and we ended up making it all the way down to a park that was called the Blythe Boat Club. It was a really cool trip we ended up stopping at a couple places and filling up at Water Wheel.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
It's a great part of the river. It's a fun run from Martinez to Walters.

S CP :D

·
Large Member
679 Posts
Some friends and I are talking about making the same trip. Not sure I can make the weekend you are going. If you end you end up doing it that weekend, will you post up anything you learn? I am planning on doing it in a pontoon.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
A friend and I did this trip back in 2004 when I had a Mach22. Was a ALL day event. I assumed Walters would have gas.....they were closed. Pulled into the gas dock by the 10 freeway on the Cali side on VAPOR! We had to walk the boat though some multiple sandbar sections just below Walters. Saw donkeys, long horn sheep..... Was a great day, did it midweek. pretty much had the entire river to ourselves. Would do it again in a second...... Toby

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I've run from martinez up past piccacho and back, then from mcintyre down past walters camp and back up. never made all the way down and back. Looks like about 70 miles. Fuel up in blythe run down to martinez then refuel in martinez. Been wanting to do that run for quite a while now. I could have in the cruiser with 50 gallons on board, not sure what I'm doing next but that 50 gals would have got me there no problem.

I'd be more inclined to start from martinez, cuz if you did run out you could always float back.....

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just called Walters Camp they still have their gas dock and it's open 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM Thursday thru Monday.

G

·
My family used to have a trailers at Walters and in the mid 70's at McIntyre. I love the aria down by Walters, miss that place.:mad:

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I just called Walters Camp they still have their gas dock and it's open 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM Thursday thru Monday.

Nice. But did you ask if they had GAS? Your post sez they have a gas DOCK and it's OPEN! Did you ask if they have/sell GAS?:(:(

·
Registered
672 Posts
I took the Boy Scouts on a canoe trip from McIntyre to Walters. The old channel is NASTY and I wouldn't take a jet in there unless you like cleaning weeds out your impellor. The bar closes at 4...but nice people. The road out of there is about 300 miles of ruts...11 miles, but damn.

Yuma proving ground is right there, a big helicopter and a couple of jets buzzed the boys...pretty cool watching the water being blown as they whizzed past.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
jerry, cant make it that monday..so maybe another time..been wanting to go south and check out the other part of the river one of theses days..have fun and report back with pics please. see ya next weekend..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Come on now, get it right, they sell gas docks at their gas dock. What else would they sell.:)sphss[/QUOTE

We went up to Walters last Easter in a large pontoon with an outdrive.
Gas docks were up and running. Located apprx 40 miles north of Fishers.
Watch out for the underwater rock mound appx 2-3 mi. so. of Walters near the Ca. side. It's tough on outdrives. This is a nice trip in cooler weather.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts