Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
"Floatin' Motor"
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm switching from electric to mechanical, my question is ....should i take out the fuel regulator completely, or keep it and still plumb to it?? I'm hearing two different answers (not here on the forum), can someone give me some better insight please. This is not my first boat, but the first one i've gotten into with the mechanics and repairing. Thx.

·
"Floatin' Motor"
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the pump i'm wanting to install, doesn't say what lbs it's putting out. Anybody know?? It's for a BBC.

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
I wouldn't install anything that I don't know about. Unless your running some high performance motor, I would get a standard mechanical fuel pump. We need more information on carb and motor.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I beleive the manufacturers of that pump recommend using their regulator. They use the same pump for Carb and EFI so I would guess that that pump can put out a lot more pressure than you need.

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
I'm switching from electric to mechanical, my question is ....should i take out the fuel regulator completely, or keep it and still plumb to it?? I'm hearing two different answers (not here on the forum), can someone give me some better insight please. This is not my first boat, but the first one i've gotten into with the mechanics and repairing. Thx.
What combo are you running ? Dual carbs ?

If your running a lake/ ski - I would stick to a typical pump with 6-8 psi and 130-150 gph rating - will be plenty for that combo -- Those pumps you pictured are capable of supporting over 1000 hp and if you are just starting to mess with mechanics , it is always wise to match parts to the preformance application .

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
This is the pump i'm wanting to install, doesn't say what lbs it's putting out. Anybody know?? It's for a BBC.
I think Hass likes his race pump....I have heard of people who don't....mostly priming issues from memory. Unless you have mega hp that pump is overkill IMO. I ended up with a clay smith unit for like 125.00 and that was polished. I would think even that is overkill....unless you are 800 hp plus.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
HASS!!!! oh HASS!!!! where are you HASS????
Thats right ;)

The standard pump puts out 50psi and the efi version puts out 150psi(they can be converted back & forth either way with a $10 spring change) so yes you certainly need a regulator and you need to know which spring is in the pump. With the 50psi pump you can use the regulator from Racepumps .com or a magnafuel regulator will also work. If its the 150psi pump you will need the reg from racepumps.
Here, check out their site http://www.racepumps.com/

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have one of those on a 900 horse drag car. There is no way you can run it without a Regulator. Get a Edelbrock Streeet fuel pump,Part#350-1722 from JEGS. Supports 600 Hp and holds 6 PSI and does NOT require a regulator. And its 99.00 instead of 310.00 like the one you showed. Or a HOLLEY Billet Aluminum, Holds 7.5 PSI without a regulator.
Part # 510-12-454-25 but its 273.00.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,098 Posts

What's the engine ?

S CP

·
"Floatin' Motor"
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What combo are you running ? Dual carbs ?
If your running a lake/ ski - I would stick to a typical pump with 6-8 psi and 130-150 gph rating - will be plenty for that combo -- Those pumps you pictured are capable of supporting over 1000 hp and if you are just starting to mess with mechanics , it is always wise to match parts to the preformance application .
1 carb, It's a Holley 4 barrel. I bought the boat back on memorial weekend, don't know really what work has been done other than a cam.

What's the engine ?

S CP
It's a 454BBC.

Thanks guys, any other advice or info is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,098 Posts
1 carb, It's a Holley 4 barrel. I bought the boat back on memorial weekend, don't know really what work has been done other than a cam.

It's a 454BBC.

Thanks guys, any other advice or info is appreciated.
Why did you choose that pump, it will put out 4 times the amount of fuel you'll need. Or do you plan on making it a 1,200+ engine at some time?

G-

·
"Floatin' Motor"
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why did you choose that pump, it will put out 4 times the amount of fuel you'll need. Or do you plan on making it a 1,200+ engine at some time?

G-
LOL, not anytime soon. Just trying to replace things i know could strand me out in the middle of the lake. Just figured that mech. pump would be best, I have a electric Blue Holley pump now but looks pretty old. From what i gathered from this thread i just need to go with a mech. Holley or similar and not try to go so over the top with the one i was looking to get. Sorry everybody, i'm still getting familiar with the boat.

·
"That Guy"
418 Posts
I have one and I would not have put it on had I known all the in's and out's.

You will have to make a primer system if you run out of gas, or run your batt down trying to get gas to yr carbs.

PM me and I'll tell you more if you want:)devil

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I think Hass likes his race pump....I have heard of people who don't....mostly priming issues from memory. Unless you have mega hp that pump is overkill IMO. I ended up with a clay smith unit for like 125.00 and that was polished. I would think even that is overkill....unless you are 800 hp plus.
I put a Clay Smith on my mildly built 460 Ford and I like it but I think it was overkill and does have to be regulated. It does pump the gas and primes really easy. I could have gone stock but what the heck. I don't think it will ever fail.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Hass is right. Except I seriously doubt I would try to run the EFI pump on a carb deal even with a reg. But I doubt you have that unless you specifically ordered it. It does need a reg, and it needs to be a good one. The pump is capable of producing 50 psi. And price wise it was more than you need. But the pump is varible volume pump. It will only pump as much fuel as you are useing. They do have some primeing issuses depending on the feed line size from the tank to the pump, and whether or not your lifting fuel out the top of the tanks or they are bottom feed. Even if you do run out of gas and the pump doesn't prime easily due to your setup, you don't prime the pump. You just get some fuel in the motor by pouring a touch down the carb. When it lites, that pump will pull fuel right now! It doesn't move fuel real well at cranking speed, or even an idle(although enough). But just off an idle, it get with the program. That pump will easily handle 2000 HP on gas, and a 1000 on alky.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 18 of 18 Posts