Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a search but haven't happened upon a discussion of old school vs modern technology. Which is better? I already have a brand new shaft and suction housing is on the workbench (freezer) awaiting warm weather for Installation.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
I use multiple seals but would not recommend it for a lake use boat kinda a race only thing and I replace the seals every season not worth the pain in the ass for a very small gain

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
I have done a search but haven't happened upon a discussion of old school vs modern technology. Which is better? I already have a brand new shaft and suction housing is on the workbench (freezer) awaiting warm weather for Installation.

The various mechanical seal offerings work well with pump shafts in good condition with good finish in the packing seal area , bear in mind however that if replacement of the seals or seal pack becomes necessary the jet must come at least partially apart to repair/replace versus simple packing replacement , additionally the suction housing packing bore needs to be in good condition (not corroded or pitted )

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The various mechanical seal offerings work well with pump shafts in good condition with good finish in the packing seal area , bear in mind however that if replacement of the seals or seal pack becomes necessary the jet must come at least partially apart to repair/replace versus simple packing replacement , additionally the suction housing packing bore needs to be in good condition (not corroded or pitted )
That is what I needed to know. If it was the next big thing I would have to have it. I think I'll stick with the packing. Thanks for edumacating me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts