Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am commuting every day now, where I haven't in the past. I need to get a car, and I want something decent but not breaking the bank.

There are some good deals out there for 2004-2006 S500 and E500 models under $25k and less than 50k miles.

What is the maintenance like for these cars? Are they expensive to keep them running or are they a change the oil every 3000 and run the hell out of it?

Thank you.

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
I've had 3 BMWs, I think I'd like to try something else. :) Not that big of a fan of them.
Yea but you can't grab 2nd gear doing 45 mph into a turn and put a Bens in a 4 wheel drift. I watched a guy in a 540i put the spank on a Fararri 355 spider on a road corse.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea but you can't grab 2nd gear doing 45 mph into a turn and put a Bens in a 4 wheel drift. I watched a guy in a 540i put the spank on a Fararri 355 spider on a road corse.

That's how I drove my M3s. I just want to limo out the windows and float on the road. Just some peace and comfort while driving and at the same time a little status and class pulling up to a meeting. I could care less about the speed at this point in my life. You see my boat. :D

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
The next lap around I kept it in 3rd and to the floor, lost it doing 85 mph.

Have you thought about a Mini Cooper?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
What is the maintenance like for these cars? Are they expensive to keep them running or are they a change the oil every 3000 and run the hell out of it?

Thank you.
The FSS computer and MBZ calls for 10K on synthetics.
I usually do my older 98 E320 at 5-8K. My V6 takes 9 quarts. My V10 Excursion takes 6 quarts...go figure.

http://mbworld.org/forums/index.php

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/

Thus far, the only time it has been to the stealership for a repair was over a known issue - the harmonic balancer grenaded. They initially said a maintenance item (at $2700 to repair).....yeah, sure, how the fawk you maintain a balancer. They covered it and later recalled it.

My brother has a 2004 C230 sport - Great looking LITTLE car. He hasn't been too happy with it and wishes he kept my E320/his old car.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts

I call BS. That wasn't because of the car. The driver was a sleep at the wheel.

You BMW guys are always the same. :D

·
Nine pieces of Eight
1,377 Posts
The FSS computer and MBZ calls for 10K on synthetics.
I usually do my older 98 E320 at 5-8K. My V6 takes 9 quarts. My V10 Excursion takes 6 quarts...go figure.

http://mbworld.org/forums/index.php

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/

Thus far, the only time it has been to the stealership for a repair was over a known issue - the harmonic balancer grenaded. They initially said a maintenance item (at $2700 to repair).....yeah, sure, how the fawk you maintain a balancer. They covered it and later recalled it.

My brother has a 2004 C230 sport - Great looking LITTLE car. He hasn't been too happy with it and wishes he kept my E320/his old car.

We had an E Car that was ....well terrible. Benzworld was my friend and a set of CD factory service manuals.

We had a 100k extended warr that covered nothing according to them and I spent a bunch of money over the years with that car. Drove like none other though.

IMHO only a FACTORY ext. service/repair plan holds any chance of getting repairs paid. To get one of these you have to buy a Cert. Car from a dealer and that is not going to get you the same deal.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
contact Lucky Strike on OSO. his family owns mercedesshowroom.com. very straight shooter and only deals in late model clean, mercedes. His number at the office is 954-583-5400 and his cell is 954-270-5999. you can call him today even though its sunday.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
We got a 500E, and love the ride,style,V8 etc... just make sure you have an extended warranty as these babies are really expensive in the shop.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Nationally there were 50 2005's that went through dealer wholesale auctions last week.

Average price for an S500 was $24K, high was $27K
Average price for an E500 was $20K, high was $23K
Average price for an E55 AMG was $32K

That's some depreciation. :)sphss .

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
We had an E Car that was ....well terrible. Benzworld was my friend and a set of CD factory service manuals.

We had a 100k extended warr that covered nothing according to them and I spent a bunch of money over the years with that car. Drove like none other though.

IMHO only a FACTORY ext. service/repair plan holds any chance of getting repairs paid. To get one of these you have to buy a Cert. Car from a dealer and that is not going to get you the same deal.
Yup, apparently I got a good year. I like the car because for the most part, I can still wrench on it.

Those CEL's are a bit of a challenge, although i was pretty bummed this past week week when I pulled 3 new codes. Never fails though, that damn gas cap solves everything.

On that note, if you go to an indy - can you imagine how many peeps they have screwed for issues like that? I once had a guy tell me he needed to tear down the top half of the motor; another wanted $800 to change the clinate control bulb (explained the needed to tear down the dash, was all labor). That's when I discovered MBWorld/Benzworld and never took the car anyplace, ever again.

--------------

Personally I like the looks of the new E-class better than the S-class. An E350 is nice; obviosuly, an E55 puts me into ga ga land. Some day.

·
Nine pieces of Eight
1,377 Posts
Yup, apparently I got a good year. I like the car because for the most part, I can still wrench on it.

Those CEL's are a bit of a challenge, although i was pretty bummed this past week week when I pulled 3 new codes. Never fails though, that damn gas cap solves everything.

On that note, if you go to an indy - can you imagine how many peeps they have screwed for issues like that? I once had a guy tell me he needed to tear down the top half of the motor; another wanted $800 to change the clinate control bulb (explained the needed to tear down the dash, was all labor). That's when I discovered MBWorld/Benzworld and never took the car anyplace, ever again.

--------------

Personally I like the looks of the new E-class better than the S-class. An E350 is nice; obviosuly, an E55 puts me into ga ga land. Some day.
MBZ is pretty good about parts revisions on defective issues and sometimes would reduce the cost of the part down to a fairly reasonable price. I agree it's the Labor that is very inconsistant shop to shop.

My single largest complaint with the car was the climate control system. I poured thousands into this over many years. Nothing sucks worse then being at the river and having the heat running for no apparent reason.

Over engineering at its finest. :D

All that said the new E and C class are some very nice looking cars.

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
I call BS. That wasn't because of the car. The driver was a sleep at the wheel.

You BMW guys are always the same. :D

Not realy. If you go to PIR over the thankgiving weekend you will see a focus svt spanking vett's. It's not BS. You can also watch a neighbor of yours with a Datsun 240z spanking Vipers, yes it has an inline six with a turbo. He allso gas another 240z putting out over 500 hp with a 3.0 turdyado motor under the hood. Nope Just go out to the NASA enduro in the fall. It sure was funny a few years back wathing and e30 m3 spanking an 850 on the PIR oval. 4 banger vs. a V12, oh yea that was good. I've had 2 Porsche 911's, the BMW will out perform the 911's. Even the Fararri 308 is a slug at best, I drove one, and promptly parked it.

He had a broken bolt in the trany at the time, that swhy it stumbled going into second. Caution cus word at the end.

http://media.putfile.com/135wmv daily driver, gotta luv it, even pulls a small trailer with it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts