Performance Boats Forum banner

Mercruiser 6.2L MPI rough idle problem

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Skydrorn73 
#1 ·
Ok guys having problems with my 6.2 MPI EFI. Idle is rough and anything above say 1500 rpms runs perfect. Heres what I have checked and replaced so far. Checked compression 170lbs on all cylinders, replaced IAC valve, replaced plug wires, replaced plugs, replaced cap ad rotor. Only runs rough on idle wondering if it may have a couple bad injectors. This is something I just noticed tonight, when I run my electric downrigger at idle engine runs rougher. replaced batteries and alternator is charging fine, Thinking maybe an electric problem. possibly to low voltage to run good at idle? Batteries are fully charged though. anyone got any ideas?
Thanks

#2 ·
What year is it? Did you get any warning horns? I think you have tryd some of the main things already, So you really are at the point where your going to need to be hooked up to diagnostic testing equipment to see what the engine is doing in real time as it is doing it. Also there is a chance you have a bad intake manifold gasket that is failing and could be leaking air and or water into the cylinders and could burn up the intake valves, And the way to find that is to do a leak down test And you could try sprying some carb cleaner on the manifold to see if the rpms changes some, Some times that works some times it does not. Here is a Thread of another guy with a 6.2 that idles rough also, His first Post went like this, #1 his complaint was this [6.2 rough idle, not running right I
Have a 2002 mercruiser 6.2 mpi. Ran all day fine, on the way back to the boat ramp experienced a lack of power. Pulled out spark plugs and cylinder 1 and 3 the electrodes were melted. Put new plugs in it, checked and cleaned distributor cap, rotor, iac, and took it out for a test run. Seemed to run better, had plenty of power for hole shot. After it warmed up it would barley idle. Seemed to be misfiring and on the same side that the plugs were melted on. Also at wot the engine would make a little popping noise but still had power.. So I went home and pulled plugs out and they all looked like they were burning fine.. Really stumped.. Help anyone?] Post #2 was this [Well yea sorry for the other threads.. I though the problem was resolved because the problem seemed intermittent.. well Ive about narrowed it down. All of the cylinders on the right bank seem to be running to hot. The plugs are a little glazed. All of the cylinders on the left bank are burning ok. The miss firing is occuring on the right bank where I know they are running to hot (glazed new plugs and melted 2 old ones) So maybe not enough fuel? Also the fuel rail on that side is the furthest away from the fuel supply. But i think im narrowing it down. For some reason the cylinders on the right bank are running too hot.. Thanks for any help guys...] His last post#3, He found and fixed this,[The problem was the intake manifold gasket on that side failed and was leaking air and water into two of the cylinders and burned up the intake valves.] Now I am not saying this is the problem just something to keep an eye out for is all, Good luck with it I hope this helps you out some. Boat teck.:)

#3 ·
Thank you for the reply. My engine is a 2004 model. I have no loss of power or missing above 1500 RPM. I also have checked compression and it doesn't leak down like it might if the valves were burnt and not seating. This just started the other day with no warning. Just slowed down in the harbor and the rough idle started. Had run perfect before that. Intake gasket could be it I will take a look for leaks on that. Seems to be electric related since the engine runs much worse if I am running my downrigger but not sure. What scanner is best I may just buy one. Also will the scanner check injectors?
Thank you

#4 ·
Well a leak down test is a different test then a compression test, A leak down test is when you put the cylinder at [TDC] and blow air into the spark plug holes to see is air is getting past any thing at a certin % with a tool like this in this link, It will be three tools down in this link because it will not open right to it for some reason. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=455&pricetype= .And to check fuel pressure you will need A gauge kind of like this to hook up to the fuel rail. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92699. And to hook up to the engine you will need a tool like this one to read the engine and sensors and they have a spechile cord to plug in to the fuel injectors to help test them also. http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm. And then you will need a mercruiser sevice manual to go with your engine to understand some of it. And some other tools as well. Good luck. Also make sure all your ground wires and cabels are clean and tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.