Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Floatin dirty
4,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a new 255 Hallet with a 525. Motor only has 8 hours on it so far. He is running a 26" 4 blade prop and only getting 4800rpm out of the motor. Those motors have a 5400rpm set limit. Hallet told him that it is the right size prop for the boat. Do the mercury motors have a built in limit preventing the max rpm until the 10 hour break in period is over? It is almost like the motor is in guardian mode or something. Any thoughts on why he can't get the full rpm from a brand new motor other then a pre-existing mechanical problem from the factory?

·
Floatin dirty
4,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure, that is an easy option and I am sure they would handle it. He has his boat at his place in needles and before towing it all the way back, he asked me to post up on here and see if anyone had knowledge of the 525. Essentially, if the computer was controlling the allowable rpm range until the break in period was over and then it would rev to the 5200-5400 range. Just does not want to waste a trip back towing if not needed. Hallet did not mention anything about the above info to him though.

·
Floatin dirty
4,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No boat was not over loaded and no alarms were going off. He said gauges all read good while underway. I asked if he was trimmed out properly and had his tabs up and he said yes also. He said the motor just seemed sluggish and would only hit 4800 rpm.

·
Lavey Me Alone
1,404 Posts
Maybe that is the best prop for all around boating, in Hallet's opinion. If he wants to do more top-end stuff, he should try a 28 pitch....it's just a guess though.

Does Merc even want you reving it out with less than 10hours? I know they don't on the 496.

G

·
No boat was not over loaded and no alarms were going off. He said gauges all read good while underway. I asked if he was trimmed out properly and had his tabs up and he said yes also. He said the motor just seemed sluggish and would only hit 4800 rpm.
I've not heard of the ECU holding back the RPM's on any Merc motor. As I recall, the 525's and 496's are programed to run a little rich for the first 20 hours.

IMHO, your friend should be able to hit the rev limiter with a 26. He might want to try a different prop.

Maybe that is the best prop for all around boating, in Hallet's opinion. If he wants to do more top-end stuff, he should try a 28 pitch....it's just a guess though.
Agree

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,854 Posts
I was told the same thing about the break in time . 496 ho
The computer controls max rpm and fuel richness.
Seem like after 20 hour every thing set to haul ass.
I have had both a 496HOand a 525 and driven many other brand new ones out of the box and there has never been any issue with the computer controlling the RPM during break in. The motors ran normal out of the box.

·
"SELF MADE" broke dick
722 Posts
My friend has a new 255 Hallet with a 525. Motor only has 8 hours on it so far. He is running a 26" 4 blade prop and only getting 4800rpm out of the motor. Those motors have a 5400rpm set limit. Hallet told him that it is the right size prop for the boat. Do the mercury motors have a built in limit preventing the max rpm until the 10 hour break in period is over? It is almost like the motor is in guardian mode or something. Any thoughts on why he can't get the full rpm from a brand new motor other then a pre-existing mechanical problem from the factory?
My Kachina 30' had a 525 and I was rinning a 24 pitch, boat was about 4200 (lbs) As far as a rev limiter for the first 10 hours no. I ran mine WOT from day one to the day I sold it.....:D:D

·
Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,866 Posts
I was in the boat when this was occuring. We were going up river and the boat was running perfect, I don't remeber what the rpm's were at going down river, (but I'll tell ya what my boat does much better going against the current) so I was a little confused also at why we couldn't hit a higher rpm. I assumed a different prop would help, no alarms at all and the speed was fine if I remember mid 60's, the boat has no problem planeing(sp) what so ever, light or heavy. I couldn't tell where the tabs were set more than likely not a factor and the trim was a touch under middle. He experienced a similar situation with his previous 210 Hallett and a prop change seem to rectify the issue. IMO Hallett will tell him to leave it alone, Bronson Hill will provide the needed info he's looking for.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.