Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
I service mine at least once a year...not too many hours. Change oil, filters (oil fuel), check out drive alignment, change drive oil. MOST IMPORTANT......CHANGE YOUR WATER IMPELLER!!! ....525's go thru these about once a year.

P.S. check your oil every day, they have a tendency to burn oil. Mine uses a quart about every 3rd trip.

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
if your mechanical its not that hard and will only take you about 3 hours....on a hot day....:mad:

If your not mechanical.....PAY SOMEONE who is....you will save yourself alot of headache:D;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I service mine at least once a year...not too many hours. Change oil, filters (oil fuel), check out drive alignment, change drive oil. MOST IMPORTANT......CHANGE YOUR WATER IMPELLER!!! ....525's go thru these about once a year.

P.S. check your oil every day, they have a tendency to burn oil. Mine uses a quart about every 3rd trip.
So you just do a service once a year no matter the hours? I have heard they need to be serviced every 25. Also will a seastrainer help with going through impellers?

·
?
154 Posts
just bring about 1100 greenbacks down to your local mechanic.
they will tell you when it is done.
If you spend $1100 on a service, all I can say is wow. Just make sure you change the fliuds every 20 to 25 hours and make sure the coupler is lubed, you'll be alright . Also change your impellar pump once a year and you will be alright. I've got 250 trouble free hours on mine.

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
So you just do a service once a year no matter the hours? I have heard they need to be serviced every 25. Also will a seastrainer help with going through impellers?
my boat does alot of sitting....in the channel;)

don't know about the strainers, the stupid impellers seem to go out like clock work. You can change them for $50 if you do it yourself. Its not hard at all.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I change my impeller every other year. But I run my boat year round and I don't drive off the shore. I push my boat off first so not to stir up the sand which will get suck up thru the water pump if you drive off the shore. Of course I do all oils and filters once a year. Seems to work just fine for me.

·
Just One More
1,092 Posts
My 525 burns no oil, ever,I do mine every 10 hours religiously w/ the Whipple.... do the impeller yourself, 5 bolts, add grease to the inner hub ($100.00 kit) Oil change ($100.00 for oil including filter Merc Full syn or Mobil) Drive oil-$75.00 for the big jug-everyone likes big jugs right......:D 1k for a service better include a detail, year launch pass, breakfast,lunch,dinner and a topless dancer to serve you beer /cocktails all weekend...just sayin.....:)grn

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I burn a little oil but not that much. I change my impellor every year at the beginning of the season, I have never had one go bad. I do have a sea strainer on mine don't know if it makes any difference in the impellor life but it does fill up with a lot of crap.

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
looking for a good mechanic in southern CA for my twin Merc 525HP's. Saw So CA Speed & Marine suggestion, any others?
B&D Marine :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
Wishful Thinking! Marine

Just started servicing 525's today! Will come to your home and service your boat, walk your dog and kiss your kids all for a grand... savings of $100!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts