Performance Boats Forum banner

MHB - What do you want?

15K views 122 replies 23 participants last post by  stv riverrocket 
#1 ·
It's been a few years since this club had a falling out so to say and Chet left to pursue other interests so I'm volunteering to step up as leader and run things. I've had some experience in the past with running sanctioning bodies like Michigan Sports Car Club and some other groups in college, so it's nothing new. I will take all input, suggestions, and criticism and weigh them in a way that best favors the majority of the group. We're all spread across this great State so having meets and events will hopefully make us tighter and continue to promote the sport of Hot Boating. At the same time, a club/group is only as strong as the effort put forth by its members so it's what you put in that equals what is put out.

With that, what direction do you want to see this club go? What suggestions do you have to improve the current situation? What are some ideas for the future?

Thanks,

Dave Stefaniak

#2 · (Edited)
THis group or "club" is headed down and dieing path.. Unless you have an outboard, or a boat that does less than 45mph.
The DNR and Cops have totally destoryed what use to be a good thing..

Im not trying to be the bad guy here, i just see it for what it is, the poor flatties, and jet boats being weeded out (un-able to run) due to noise. Even if we install so type of muffler, they will still be to loud...

Wamplers, COPS waiting at the lauch ramp for the club to show up.

Some other meet, cops told everyone " no racing, no loud boats etc, or else"

only thing we have is Marble...
The club is great, i always have fun, but i just see the dark side coming...

anyway... Thank you LIBERALS for all your great work on destroying a great sport, and the United States of America!

rant is over.

#3 ·
I was an original member of MHB way back when Jordan started it all.

The problems persist with those who absolutely refuse to run mufflers of any type.
They want to run zoomies or open headers and those will NEVER be OK.

It's not an insurmountable problem. It's the stubborn who won't do what's required to make their boat comply with the noise laws.
Then it's always someone else's fault for not wanting to to listen to the noise.
Many times I've heard someone with a loud boat say, "If they don't like it then f**k em"
Yeah, that's gonna work. :rolleyes:

I faced all those problems years ago and that led me to going with a turbocharged program and the noise level is 89 DB at idle 8' behind the boat.

A second problem is those who's boat is incapable of running on a lake with other boats.

When I go out for a day of boating, I like to actually run the boat.
Sitting on the shore all day 1/2 mile from the launch is not my idea of a fun boating day.

#4 · (Edited)
Gonna chime in before this gets too derailed. I'm a new guy, been in the club about five years and in those five years I have not seen anyone get handed a noise ticket. I was in Charlevoix a few years ago when Shep and MT were running zoomies and the DNR just told them to knock it off. If guys want to run no mufflers/zoomies/etc, that's their prerogative, but know it comes with consequences. Noise isn't the issue.

Mark, your request for a place to run won't fall on deaf ears. We'll try to pick at least a few lakes where guys can stretch their legs. Appreciate your input. :))THumbsUp

And before someone brings it up, this is a "loose" club with no "acting president." There's your legal disclaimer. Flush the rest.

#5 · (Edited)
I run my boats every weekend at Belleville lake. Zoomies and all.. I have ZERO issues with the local law.

Here is an idea.

Dont put up the Michigan hot boat schedule on this public forum, lets make it private message or email only.
At least that will keep the law off our asses..

This club is called Michigan "HOT" boat... Not Michigan Bass boat club, not Michigan SKI boat club, with that name people expect Loud Fast boats.
Besides Marble where can we run our boats with no issues.?
We have these boats so we can run them... If i want a quiet slow boat? I have my deck boat for that. But on "HOT" boat weekend, i want to run the FUCK out of my "K"-boat.

DNR,, speed limits are 45 mph or as posted, no limit 1 mile off shore.

We are batteling an up-hill battle with the speed limits on these lakes

I dont think there is much you can do to change things in which will make it a better all around deal.

this post you started has been posted up before, and will continue to be posted up for years to come. Issues were always, boat count, money, lake locations, etc...
I give you huge props for taking on this role in which you just took on... Maybe you can come up with some great ideas that will help keep this club alive?

#33 ·
Besides Marble where can we run our boats with no issues.?
We have these boats so we can run them... If i want a quiet slow boat? I have my deck boat for that. But on "HOT" boat weekend,

We are battling an up-hill battle with the speed limits on these lakes
I remember seeing your boat at Marble lake a couple years ago. It looked good but I never saw it actually run the course.
You could have showed those outboard guys something.............maybe.

Quiet slow boat ? like quiet = slow
My pile is the quietest one out there and I'll put it up against any of the loud boats that can actually show up at the lake during the day.
Noise does not = performance
Noise = tickets

#7 ·
I agree 100% with you... I have zero issues also.

last year at wamplers, cops waiting at the launch ramp for the club..
This issue kind of just started with the cops, yes i feel they look at our posts and are now showing up at the meets.????

but there are bigger issues.. Money, locations, distance, etc....

#10 ·
Money's always an issue, not enough in, too much going out. Members have only asked that other members participate as they can. Not everyone can haul up to Charlevoix or Torch, rent a room, plus gas and food one weekend and then do the same at Oscoda the next. But they should have the option to choose which place they want to go at least; meaning offer up for options/weekends in the schedule for people to select. Distance is the same since everyone is scattered through-out the state. The truth is we're all going to have to suck it up one way or another to participate. As an example: If you're willing to drag your boat to Wixom Lake, then I need to suck it up and drag mine to Belleville or Marble

#11 · (Edited)
Wixon lake? Shit that's a short drive in reality....
When i lived in Az, (for 33yrs) every weekend we pulled 4,1/2 hours to Parker... Before i moved to Havasu for work.
Parker we had zero issues and it is V-drive captial of the world.

I'd pull to Wamplers, Wixon every weekend if we could have good times and no issues with our boats.
Marble should not be a question, that is by far hands down the best meet of them all... Perfect location and conditions for our boats and family.

back in the day.... Ford lake, drag boat racing every-weekend from fuelers to river runners... All came to a stop when people started building homes on the water...

Like i said, " i give you props on this adventure" this is going to be an up-hill battle,

#12 ·
If you ask and tell the lake -hey we would like to come to your lake,is that ok with you guys? Instead of just invading it might work wonders . It's not like rocket science, Aaron and others -( can't remember the names) put a butyl pad of work into the marble lake event -nobody reaches out to the others therefore it goes bad

#17 · (Edited)
Let me be clear,nobody gives a shit to go if it isn't at their lake,the club got broken when everyone noticed it was all at one persons behest ,but he added in every event that anyone asked for . Nobody shows or very few,last year I put three on the west side and two in the middle and one on the eastern -everyone wants one on their lake. Schedule two a month and see what you get ?you get jack shit ....:) Need to get MORE INTEREST IN IT or sit at home and look at your boat. And nobody gives directions to the ramp And nobody offers where to stay when you drive 2 or 3 or 4 hours to your shithole lake

#20 ·
This has been requested for years and I say it's about time we made it happen. Plenty of people go already so why not make it official.

your little paradise huh?
Easy Shep, it's crap like this that continues to drive a steak in this group. Don't like Secord? Keep it to yourself.

That goes for everyone! All lakes are fair game and if you don't like it, tough shit, but don't sit on here and bitch like a child. There's plenty of sandboxes to play in.

#22 ·
Shep does have some good points that have come up before. We need suggestions on lodging and dining so those who do the long haul have options to stay the night. Also, contacting lake associations isn't a bad idea and I can work on making this happen. I've worked with the County parks setting up car shows and BBQs for the last three years. I can have those conversations.

#24 ·
This forum has A LOT of negative comments on it. I think that has a big reason for not much participation with MHB as much as it used to be. Now with that being said I've never been to a meet and not had a good time with all of the MHB members. I can't make it to all of the meets and neither can the next guy. I say we do the good meets that most guys would go to. Wamplers, Oscoda, Marble Lake, and Hardy Dam Hot boat weekend. If you want to do one at the lake you live on or by, post it and see if people show up if not don't get mad about it. I've been to meets that 10 boats have shown up to and others that 2 show up. Yeah it sucks when only 2 show up but be that as it may. I still had a good time running my boat. We all have one thing in common Hot Boats. We all like seeing them and running them. Now lets get this club back on the right track and start having fun again. :))THumbsUp

#26 · (Edited)
directions and lodging

Didn't there used to be directions, maps & lodging suggestions in the old newsletters? I'm thinking late 80's early 90's before that idiot algore invented the internet. The newsletters came on printed paper via USPS. I may even have some somewhere. I'm not suggesting newsletters on printed paper. More referencing the era. Seems like most of that information would carry over from year to year as pretty much just the dates change. Yes I know some locations are added and some drop off. Same with there might be a new motel or one that closed. (I was a member years and years ago when Jordan was around and then another guy that wasn't too popular)

Thanks for posting that link Adam. There were a few hours there that my computer wouldn't let me post anything. I'd hit reply and it was blank.
Darin

#29 ·
Don't bash on the outboard guys.
They put more hours per season on their boats than any other hot boats and many can out run us car boat guys. '
Ken's yellow STV has won top speed at Marble lake a few times.

Places to go ?
We are either at Hardy or Torch lake almost every weekend.
Fun places to hang out like party cove at Hardy or the sand bar at Torch is a great place for a meet.
Scenery is awesome and the party atmosphere is fun every time.
That's where I want to go. Not some out of the way isolated place where no other boaters or girls in bikini's are around.
I'm not afraid of choppy water and I don't have a noise violation issue.

I fail to see any attraction to Wamplers Lake.

#31 ·
I fail to see any attraction to Wamplers Lake.
Believe me Mark, I LOVE a good sandbar party and will take your points into consideration. The attraction to Wamplers is it's close for the SE Mich and Kalamazoo guys is all.

Yep.

It's also where I store my boat.

Liberator Stealth and I were just talking about trying to make some meets this year. He also said Wixom is a good place, and it's close. Maybe make Marble this year, and trying to work it out so I can make Hardy.

I live close to Holloway, but have to haul my boat home to do it, and don't have anyplace to store it while it's there for 2 weeks.

Back to Secord, we had a lot of boats show up last year, and there are quite a few "fast" locals there every weekend.
We had nine boats at Holloway last year including one or two that don't post on here. It'll be recycled this year. You and Brian should come up with some dates for Secord and Wixom and let us know.

Keep the input coming guys.

#32 · (Edited)
There is one fact about boating.... there is always someone faster. I don't care if you have 25 hp or 2500 hp it can still be a "hot boat". Mine aren't pretty but I run mine a lot. For the record, Hardy, wamplers, Marble and Holloway are all about 1.5 hours travel for me. Well that depends on traffic. Last year I went to Holloway and toasted a motor and left. Marble is the cats meow because you can race, sit or do whatever you want. Just my opinion.

#40 ·
This thread is not derailed at all Ken. It's just the same discussion as all the rest.
Those with loud boats refuse to make a change, so the rest of the world must just allow for them. :rolleyes:

Marble lake IS a place to race, socialize, and make all the noise you want so how many of the noise makers show up there ?
Not near as many as I see sitting on the beach at MHB meets I've been at.

As long as the main focus of an MHB meet is sitting on a remote beach drinking beer all day ........... you can count me out.

#44 ·
....so if you put that motor in a street rod you would be able to drive the streets with no muffler's? are you racing someone and need the power of open headers?

all we are saying is follow some reasonable rules and let's get together! :)devil but not just sit in the parking lot or just in front of the launch...:bangmyhead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.