Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these hulls do ok with alot of hp and do they handle high speeds ok also about what do they weigh

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Do these hulls do ok with alot of hp and do they handle high speeds ok also about what do they weigh
You should talk to Tom at Jet Boat Performance. I own a '75 Miller and have only had it out once. That one time was an amazing short ride. I've now got 450 HP so what are you calling A LOT OF HP? I know mine came up on plane so smoothly and easily and then road like a luxury car. Smooth!!! Can't tell you the weight.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Miller's are full stringer boats and should be able to handle a lot of HP if everything else is right. I don't think all Miller boats are laid up the same so I'm sure the hulls can vary a lot from one to another in how much they weigh.

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Tahiti Rat : I have owned my Miller for 3yrs and I have driven it in alot of good and bad conditions. It really handles rough water well and is a all around good full stringer boat. Last year I only had 550hp and it ran 85 mph. It took alot of hardware changes and countless hours of testing, but you have to put alot of effort in a v-bottom to really get them to move . Its no tunnel hull, but it will handle big power if set up right.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm considering building a 900+ HP deal or more to get 100mph and trying to do some looking around at hull designs to see what hulls might do this saftly as I can but still have a nice boat to ski and take the wife and kids out on are the millers something to full the bill

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
good trailers too

I bought a Miller trailer for my Southwind. Loved it. The trailer floated. Great for launching on a steep ramp. Just watch out for the current LOL.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Millers were (and still are) outstanding Boats ! Dave Miller ( RIP), I believe was an aircraft engineer and then became a Custom boat builder. Miller built beautiful innovative Wood V-drive boats in the 50's 60's and High quality Jets and Vdrive in the 70's to current. The company is run by Dave's son Jim and family not far from us in Santa Maria and Dave's other son John does Outstanding restos and fiberglass work in Nipomo Ca. John Miller has participated in a few of our restos in the past and is a true craftsman! Miller had some very fast boats in the 70's in Comp jet. An example being my friend John Rennies "Low Rider". My personal second Boat (after a small whacker) was a 19 Miller Bubble deck that Rhonda and I bought new in Paso Robles 1976. Ironically in fact a couple years ago that same boat came back to us for jet work (after 30 years of not seeing it). When we recognized it we bought it back and restored it. The pics are of it brand new with me :D and retored with my son Josh 2 years ago. We also just completed a "Project Miller" where we took a hull destined for the landfill and did a "quicky resto" to build a 70 MPH plus boat for 5k (we did go a little over budget:D) More to follow ... Tom

Brand new in 76 (note no Cf #)

after resto 06'

JBP project Miller 08'

This was our Miller 20 open bow Family boat in the 80's built form a bare hull :

and heres two of our recent Miller 'partial" restos;

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the the info on the hull I really like the look of the boat and seams that the miller might work for me

jetboatboatpeformance those are some nice boats I really like the blue one.

glamislvr I like your boat alot how fast is your boat and is there any problems on shutdown also does it plan out quickly any info you could give would be helpful thanks

Also does it have some room in it will 4 adults and a cooler be comfy thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Miller

Millers are great boats all around they will fit 4 people with a cooler in the middle.Ours plans pretty quick depending how heavy your foot is,as far as shut down we hit a pretty good size wake in Blythe one time and for some reason the boat shut off at about 70mph sat back down in the water and went straight as an arrow,We have never had the boat do anything funny.Speed wise we had it on GPS in Blythe at 101 mph 2 people in the the boat.Hope this helps, see you on the water.:)devil

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I love my miller, wouldn't hesitate to put some big power in it. Unfortunately my pocket book cannot afford such big power. My mill I'm building now is probably good for 500 hp if I'm lucky. The boat planes like a V drive though, it has tons of lift and I cruise around 2500 rpm which is great for gas mileage. Its awesome to ski behind and doesn't look like every other boat out on the water. My boat is laid up pretty light though so maybe thats why it stays on plane so well. I wouldn't sell it for any amount of money. If you have the opportunity to buy a miller go for it, you'll be happy you did.

~Brian

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'll be curious to see some numbers too from you Miller guys ! Our "project" ran just shy of 80 (two people) 434 cu BBC "stroker" 10.5 to 1 ,herbert roller,2x 450 holleys ,AA Jacuzzi WJ Pirahna impeller ,2 seats and a steering wheel ,nothin else :) Tom (Hey Nate you missin your Hot Rod ?)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
N8DAWG was your boat sturdy I need something that if the kids run across the bow everyonce in while they wount fall throw I like your old miller I thought about looking at buying it when you were selling it but money wasnt right at the time what made you decide to sell it

I would be very intrested in know what the fastest miller is also

·
Manufacturer
552 Posts
Call Lee @ Valley Speed & Marine in Atascadero, Ca. When they were in Santa Barbara they drag raced a miller “Lo-Rider” in the early 70’s. It was a 430 lbs bare hull, as far as I know there were only 2 built this light? I bought it and put in a blown injected 426 Hemi, used it at Lake Nacimineto. My friend had the other one: black-yellow with a 468 chevy, tunnel ram, 12:1 motor, These boats run much better than the standard weight boats, very quick out of the hole but they only ran 100 mph, (on a good day) again this was back in the late 70’s.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts