Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it has been discussed. I never paid attention. What did you all do to fix your broken pickup tab issues?<BR>Round 1.. a buddy won, oil in the boat. Apparently the tab broke off and punched 2 holes in the pan while it was flying around.<BR>He also said he is open to buying a new pan (and pickup) which one to get?<BR>Wags<BR><BR>Oh, BBC, v-drive, hydro, drag.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Wags, the problem with the Milodon pickup has always been the fact that they use pef plate instead of woven cloth for the screen. The perf doesn't seems to flow oil as well as the screen, specially heavy oil, and I feel it aerates the oil more than a screen.
Not certain what you mean by the tabs. I would open up the thing I see what you have. There is nothing really weak about the construction of the pickup. In fact its build better than many. The box is tig'd to the tube. and the pump end has a machined piece that fits in the pump pretty well. Its really not that bad of a pickup, except the perf plate. they do make a HD version of some pickups that has a brace that bolts on with one of the pump cover cap screws.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I know it has been discussed. I never paid attention. What did you all do to fix your broken pickup tab issues?<BR>Round 1.. a buddy won, oil in the boat. Apparently the tab broke off and punched 2 holes in the pan while it was flying around.<BR>He also said he is open to buying a new pan (and pickup) which one to get?<BR>Wags<BR><BR>Oh, BBC, v-drive, hydro, drag.
I had to fix Nelson's/broken tab/pick up.

http://www.performanceboats.com/dyno/80559-something-different.html

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I welded A tab to the tube to make a Triangle brace about 17 years ago. I'd show you a pic.......But its in my boat soaking in 60wt!:happy:lol Is this an OLD style pickup? I do believe the " NEW" ones are made better now also a better crank scraper.I do have the windage tray on my work bench! It wasn't needed 17years ago!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, yes. I remember SteelComps nice work now that I see the pics again. I don't use them, so I forgot about it.
I will forward my buddy the info.
What do olson and stefs v-drive pans go for now a days?
Wags

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Ah, yes. I remember SteelComps nice work now that I see the pics again. I don't use them, so I forgot about it.
I will forward my buddy the info.
Wags
Arm 'n a leg.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Wags[/QUOTE]

What's the motor worth?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it's not my money or engine, so to me almost nothing. He is in my class, so even less. LOL
He is a buddy, though.
I have an armando piece. I'm pretty happy with it. I rushed him (I know), it is what I wanted. Oil pressure stays up.
Wags

I'll pass along the tab thing. Also the new pan thing.
Thanks guys.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
I had the mounting tab break off the Milodon pickup tube also, so on the 2nd repair I mounted the pickup box itself down,

It's held for 2 years now.
I can't figure out how a windage tray could be in the pan with a pickup like this in a Y block.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Steve
Dad has an old Aviad pan and the pickup has a brace that bolts to the windage tray/ main studs on the pickup end. Also the pan is notched for the tube all the way down the middle so if something does happen hopefully it rests on the baffles and not go straight to the bottom. I'm told Armando built the Aviad pans and now has his own set up. His prices are good for off the shelf or you can have one custom made.

The Motorsport Webring

I would definitely check these out

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey Steve.. I just picked up a custom 14 qt Stefs pan and pickup for $850 shipped. Nice people to deal with and real nice workmanship. Think it was about 3 weeks turn around.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Steve.. I just picked up a custom 14 qt Stefs pan and pickup for $850 shipped. Nice people to deal with and real nice workmanship. Think it was about 3 weeks turn around.
Is it on the engine yet? Or can I see it this weekend?
Thanks
Wags

1 - 15 of 15 Posts