Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea I know...needs to get to 210 or whatever to get rid of any condensation. I'm not seeing any signs of water or condensation, but I have to run the boat long and hard to get her up to 190*. Last weekend I was on a ruff(water) crowded lake(couldn't really open her up) and after an hour about the highest I could get it is 170*. Should I be running a thinner oil than 20-50 at those temps. Should I be concerned with 170-190*??

· Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
. Should I be concerned with 170-190*??
I'd say no, but I'll ask what type of cooler are you running and how may qrts of oil ? The 190 is okay if you can get it to 215-220* every now and then on the weekend would be great.

S CP :D

· www.highflowdynamics.com
1,139 Posts
Agreed, no need to lose sleep at night.

Additionally, if your water temperature gauge is showing cold water temps too, such as 120*-130* F, you might try slightly closing the gate valve so as to get water temp up to 150*-160*, which in turn will increase your oil's operating temperature somewhat. :)bulb

LO

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd say no, but I'll ask what type of cooler are you running and how may qrts of oil ? The 190 is okay if you can get it to 215-220* every now and then on the weekend would be great.

I bought spdm's old pan I think it's 11-12 qts, I have 11 or so in there. No oil cooler. I guess I could shut the valve off the pump a little, I should have titled this thread .....how warm do you get you oil before you gas it.lol

· Boat Nut
4,935 Posts
When I put in the oil temp gauge, I shit when I saw it reach 220* Took a bit of hard running to get it there with a 12 qt pan. never had any moisture issues either.

· Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
I think that at around 150-160 degrees it is plenty hot enough to gas it. :D

Not to thread jack, but how hot is too hot?????

Over 250 with synthetic for extended periods, over 220 or so with standard oil. The synthetic can handle way over 250 but your other engine parts may not like it.

G-Code :D

· Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
I guess I could shut the valve off the pump a little, I should have titled this thread .....how warm do you get you oil before you gas it.lol
As Lakesonly stated turn down the water inlet volume. What is the water temp running ?

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As Lakesonly stated turn down the water inlet volume. What is the water temp running ?

I recently changed my plumbing. I may need a jet rebuild...with my gate valve was 1/2 way shut, at idle, after running the pizz out of it, all I got out of the dump lines was steam. So I opened the gate valve up and added a bypass.

· I'm No Expert
3,051 Posts
I used to run 12 quarts in my old pan, i could bearly get it up to 180* after a good 30-45 minutes of hard running around.

This build, new B&B 10 quart jetboat pan with 8 quarts in it and i run at 190* cruising and 210 running it hard... least so far. I havnt gotten to run the piss out of it yet. No cooler for me either.

· The Man
1,731 Posts
Mine runs at 150, up to about 170 idling...had it go up to 220 idling before and I shut it down and opened up the ball valve for the incoming water and got it down a bit...atleast I know I burned off whatever moisture was in the oil that time.

· Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
Bypass thermostat is the only way to go IMHO. Constant engine temp no matter what...no adjusting required.

H20, I know you had issues before with a T-stat, but now that you mention the pump needing an overhaul and the fact that you probably had the gate valve at the pump closed partially when running one I'm starting to think these two issues may be the reasons why you couldn't get it to work right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.