Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short...
A buddy of mine took the cyl heads off his engine mid summer last year. He called me a couple weeks ago and said he was getting ready to put it back together. He had it all wrapped up and sprayed down with something. I laughed and said to call me when it needed honed due to rust. This engine short block was in the truck OUTSIDE from October until last week. He had covered it with plastic, and cardboard. (we know how water resistant cardboard is)
So, he called yesterday and said it was perfect. NO WAY! He used Break Free CLP.
Break-Free®

For guns.
Anyone used this before and believe it? I use it on weapons, but never would have thought it would last that long or do that good for a block (especially bare cylinders and deck). OUTSIDE

Just passing it along. I will give it a try on blocks.... and a couple machine surfaces I always have to keep lubed.

Wags

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, do you use it on engine stuff?
Machines?
Do you know Sarah? Ever see her a the grocery store?
Wags

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Yea, do you use it on engine stuff?
Machines?
Do you know Sarah? Ever see her a the grocery store?
Wags
Haven't used it on engine stuff, but I will next time the need arises.

Haven't met Sarah, I think she's out of town more than she's here? She and Todd live about 3 or 4 miles from me, this is their house on Lake Lucille.....

I wanna take her for a boat ride :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd take her for a face ride. ROFL
I am going to spray some on a piece of equipment I don't use a ton and see how it holds up. I usually have to clean it 3 or 4 times a year. Just humidity/ temp changes cause it to surface rust slightly.
Wags

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
The stuff works real good. It goes into the metal. I got a little bit on the frizzen of a flint lock rifle one time. I had to grind it down after that. It would not make sparks anymore when I fired it. It do work.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I am not afraid. I'm going to use some, then spray water on the machine. LOL...What can go wrong?
Wags

·
Registered
230 Posts
Long story short...
A buddy of mine took the cyl heads off his engine mid summer last year. He called me a couple weeks ago and said he was getting ready to put it back together. He had it all wrapped up and sprayed down with something. I laughed and said to call me when it needed honed due to rust. This engine short block was in the truck OUTSIDE from October until last week. He had covered it with plastic, and cardboard. (we know how water resistant cardboard is)
So, he called yesterday and said it was perfect. NO WAY! He used Break Free CLP.
Break-Free®

For guns.
Anyone used this before and believe it? I use it on weapons, but never would have thought it would last that long or do that good for a block (especially bare cylinders and deck). OUTSIDE

Just passing it along. I will give it a try on blocks.... and a couple machine surfaces I always have to keep lubed.

Wags
I believe it. I have used it as motorcycle chain lube. Works great and the chain stays nice and clean instead of getting gummed up like a lot of the other lubes do.

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
While we're on the subject...

Once steel is good and rusted (like nearly all the way through plate), what is the magic trick you guys use to treat it?

I've always just used the pink Naval Jelly stuff.

Anything I should try? Or any experience with a product that didn't work well?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check this test out. CLP Break free is good stuff, but there are some better products out there.
Corrosion Protection Products for Rifles, Shooting, Benchrest Competition, Varminting and Firearms Storage
Breakfree is easy to find. The other stuff does look somewhatt better. The question is... how much better is good enough??
Ass sitting tonight. Unloaded stuff, that was all I had in me.
I have the perfect piece to try the break free on.
Oh, I am going to try it on my strut too... and prop.... and rudder.
Wags

·
Registered
383 Posts
Once steel is good and rusted (like nearly all the way through plate), what is the magic trick you guys use to treat it?

I've always just used the pink Naval Jelly stuff.

Anything I should try? Or any experience with a product that didn't work well?
swimming pool muratic acid removes rust great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts