Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are all the Mirage Jaguar Jet owners? Please post pics or anything else you have to discuss about these boats. 5 years ago I purchased one, it was the boat they used for the article in May of 1996 for Hot Boat Magazine. From my understanding, the one I have is the one pictured in the magazine. Would still like to hunt down this issue.

I'm an outboard guy and I always wanted a Mirage Jaguar since a friend of mine had one in the early 2000's. So I jumped all over this Jaguar Jet and I took the 454 and jet out of it and sold it. I then had the boat fiberglassed shut and I hung my Mercury 280HP engine on it. Somewhat ashamed of doing this, but 2 weeks ago, my friends Jaguar came up for sale in FL and I went down to get it. I just put my 280 on this one now since it was intended for an outboard.

Needless to say I'm going to convert the Jaguar Jet back to the Jet. I'm going to try and hunt down some good deals on another 454 or something similiar and Berkley Jet. I sold my 454 and jet and all the components with it for $3500 to a friend of mine. I might be getting the 454 back but doubtful at that good of a deal.

I would love to see some pictures of anyones out there. I have some of mine that I will post up.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Wow! Congrats. I always liked those boats though it is probably fair to say they make a better OB boat than a jet. How heavy is the hull. Alot of them were LIGHT!

Oh yah, and we want pics (of both).................... :)grn John

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
what a shame.......why would you have done that?? what sort of speed do you get with that 280hp wacker to justify that kinda of work?
Just FYI Merc Racing made two versions of 280HP, sport with rev limit of 7600 and offshore around 8200 or so
propped accordingly with light fuel load and proper setup the ski racer with four seats can approach a meager 120MPH on a good day
I realize that is slow compared to drag jets these days:)coffee

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
propped accordingly with light fuel load and proper setup the ski racer with four seats can approach a meager 120MPH on a good day
Very cool. I think I've only seen one picture with a jet before and I would love to see more. I think they're a cool boat regardless of the drive system

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the Jaguar Jet, the top speed was around 75mph. The outboard one can easily hit 120mph with a 280HP. Mine has the rev limiter bumped so it can turn the higher rpms. The guy I just purchased the outboard one from was running it up to 123mph on GPS with his wife and a full tank of gas. Ill get some pictures up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
And here is the one I just brought back from Florida. Looks similiar to someone that may not be all that familiar with these boats and all the particulars, but they are quite a bit different on the bottom.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Back during the mid 90's a friend of mine had one of these boats with an outboard. The hull was so light he could lift the front of it out of the water himself. While cruising side by side my 21' Daytona was plowing and his was ontop of the water like a feather. Personally if I, had this hull I'd keep it with a Mercury on the back with more room in the boat. But if it just had to be a Jet...it would be a nasty small block.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
. The outboard one can easily hit 120mph with a 280HP. Mine has the rev limiter bumped so it can turn the higher rpms. The guy I just purchased the outboard one from was running it up to 123mph on GPS with his wife and a full tank of gas. Ill get some pictures up.
good luck on your project,thats a lot of work to take on:shock:I got 20 years experience with STVs and Mirages and i believe Brad Collins that i bought mine from brand new in 1997 had to do some pretty wild mods (or contracted it out) to bottom to make jet loader intake work properly:confused:

i dont think 120mph is easy either,especially with a passenger:confused:
got any vids or pics

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Monster Energy boat is the one that was originally a jet. So it is already set up for that jet intake on the bottom. The bottom of the boat was designed much different on the rear pad for this. To convert it back to the jet is going to be much easier then the work I had done to get it to the outboard. I'm not going to leave it an outboard now since I purchased the black/purple one that is intended for the outboard. My 280 is already hanging on the black/purple one.

May not be cake work getting it up to the low 120's but its achievable in these boats. Definately would not have been with Jaguar Jet and my 280 though. I personally don't have videos but if you're wanting to check them out, I've watched some videos on youtube of some high speed runs. There are a few 120mph videos floating around on there.

The small block sounds like a good idea for lighter weight. Let me know what I should look for. Definately the lighter this boat can be the faster.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The monster edition theme will be fitting to bring full circle back to a jet!
How about a 376+ CID LS? They are 200+ lbs lighter than a BB. Search LS threads on here. EFI or convert to carb. Regardless what engine you choose, have fun with it!...and the other one too!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like a good idea. I was wondering about going with a hopped up small block to shed weight and keep the boat lighter. I would like to find a EFI engine. Ill be researcing those engines. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Need some input on this one guys....A friend of mine has a LSA engine he bought from a salvaged Corvette. He says it has around 430-450HP. Can this engine be converted to marine application? I would like to buy the engine for my Jaguar Jet if I can switch whatever around for it to work. Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm an outboard guy. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I built a race pump for a guy in Cape Coral, FL that is running in the 130's in a Jaguar with a nitrous motor. So, Yeah, it can be done.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts